[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Besides 'A Clockwork Orange', what books has /lit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1414477095.jpg (17 KB, 234x307) Image search: [Google]
1414477095.jpg
17 KB, 234x307
Besides 'A Clockwork Orange', what books has /lit/ read by Anthony Burgess?
>>
the end of the world news was a lot of fun
>>
A Night to be Trifled With
>>
After reading a Clockwork Orange why would anyone read further work of Burgess?
>>
>>7637368
I wrote a research paper on him for school which required me to read a few of his other works. 'Earthly Powers' was interesting.
>>
>>7637344
I read his book on language, its good if you like that sort of thing.
>>
>>7637344
The one about the quiz show, it was funny.

>>7637368
It was before I read or even knew the same guy wrote ACO.
>>
burgess is a fantastic writer whose reputation is unfairly pegged to a single, middling work.

It's funny that most of /lit/ doesn't even know anything about him beyond ACO, considering he's actually right up /lit/'s alley. He is a huge fan of Joyce (wrote a lot of books on Joyce) and consciously imitated him in works like Napoleon Symphony, which took the idea from the Sirens chapter of Ulysses to a much higher level with Beethoven's 3rd (he also played with this in Mozart and the Wolf Gang with Mozart's 40th).

Earthly Powers is absolutely fantastic and can go toe to toe with the best of the "maximalist" novels.
>>
>>7637935
When I was researching him for my paper, I was stunned to find out that Burgess has done a little bit of everything (this was the main focus of my paper) from novels, to translations, and even music. It's frustrating that the only thing he's known for is 'A Clockwork Orange'. To add insult to injury, most people only know the American version of the story, which is even more infuriating.
>>
>>7637978
yep. burgess wanted to be remembered as a composer and not a writer. instead he's known for ACO. poor guy's probably rolling in his grave.

his novels ranged from experimental prose powerhouses to "genre" fiction like spy novels and historical fiction. i personally hope we see a burgess revival in the near future but it might b e a long shot
>>
Here is a BBC doc they did on back in the 80's. I really like his stuff. But other than A Clockwork Orange, no one gives a shit about his other works.
>>
>>7638025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohCbeVucf6o
>>
I was just about to post a thread about how little /lit/ talks about him. Wanna make out with me?
>>
>>7638038
Only after we discuss Burgess.
>>
>reading genre fiction
>>
Earthly Powers is fantastic.
>>
>>7637344
The Pianoplayers is gawdawful.
>>
>>7638676
Any particular reason why?
>>
>>7637344

Nothing Like the Sun is one of my favorite books of all time.

Best fictional portrait of Shakespeare ever made; I suspect the man was actually quite like that.
>>
he was a hack

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/news/a41028/hunter-s-thompson-rejection-letter-anthony-burgess/
>>
I read 1985 once--it was his "answer" to Orwell's 1984.

The first part, where he piece-by-piece deconstructs the world of Orwell's novel and explains why it never came to pass is pretty interesting. The second half, however, just reads like Fox News: The Novelization.
>>
didn't this cracka try and write novels that were based on his favourite pieces of classic music or something?? anyone read that?
>>
>>7638600
>>7638038
It`s not gay if it`s in a threeway.
>>
I enjoyed Nothing Like the Sun and A Dead Man in Deptford his novel about Christopher Marlowe
>>
>>7640501
Adding another man crosses out the gayness. It's simple math.
>>
>>7637344
Earthly Powers
Nothing Like the Sun
A Dead Man in Deptford
The Wanting Seed
One Hand Clapping
The Enderby Series
The Doctors is Sick
>>
>>7640075

Wow thanks I'm going to throw away all of his books now that I know some mentally unstable drug addict didn't think his think piece was good enough for the prestigious Rolling Stone Magazine.
>>
>>7637394
>Earthly Powers' was interesting.
It was shit. Unreadable. >>7637935
>Earthly Powers is absolutely fantastic and can go toe to toe with the best of the "maximalist" novels.
Tell me why it was good? You're wrong. LALALALALALALALLA
Okay seriously, it's about a fucking novelist. Strike one. People having conversation over tea. For 15 chapters. Strike two. Le Catholic Church is pedophiles xD. Strike 3.
Burgess is a middling hack
>>
File: 1324119501552.jpg (60 KB, 352x352) Image search: [Google]
1324119501552.jpg
60 KB, 352x352
>>7640501
>>7641206
Literally the kind of xD le humor tangential comments found on any reddit thread at any and all times. Fuck off.
>>
>>7643558
never read the book but you sound like a

P L E B
L
E
B
>>
>>7643561
>blames a thread for being Reddit
>didn't even check the authour being discussed
You git what was coming to you.
>>
He is a one-trick pony. A Clockwork Orange is great. Ignore everything else by him, even his commentary on his own work.
>>
>>7640075
>He's a hack
Okay Nabokov.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.