[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I downloaded a bunch of random ebook collections and now I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: ebooks.png (79 KB, 1171x535) Image search: [Google]
ebooks.png
79 KB, 1171x535
I downloaded a bunch of random ebook collections and now I want to ask which author would you personally recommend,

I'm open for everything

>picture related
>>
Lovecraft, H.P.
>>
Umberto Eco, he is a special case, a writer's writer, feels like he is trying to write an airport novel to end all airport novels, which he does with ease.
Huxley/Orwell can't be missed.
Erich Fromm is better understood from his video interviews same with Chomsky.
Jules Verne is interesting because he predicted a lot of things.
Houlebecq because he is pessimistic in world of positivism.
Not Stephen King, he just designs immaculate vortex plots sort of like Hitchcock with an emphasis on sacrificing character for plot.
Ender's Game holds a special place for nerds, I can't work out if it is really as good as it is, like all sci-fi it relies on 'the twist' too much, great for kids though.
Kafka didn't take on me.

Where are the philosophy books?
>>
Jules Verne. You wanna share these collections, bro?
>>
>>7637093
Seconded. Do share, fami/lit/.
>>
File: philosophie.png (159 KB, 1176x1102) Image search: [Google]
philosophie.png
159 KB, 1176x1102
>>7637069
here they are but all are german
>>
>>7637093
Got them on thepiratebay se

All of my books are German, though
>>
>>7637124
How much of these have you read/want to read?

I recommend:

Schopenhauer ALL
Fragments of Heraclitus EASY
Nietzsche ALL
Descartes you learned in school, they just neglected to tell you how much he was responsible for.
Kant's concepts can be more easily understood (and dismissed) with secondary lecture videos.
Hume is so clear it's refreshing
add Max Stirner, Goethe and Shakespeare (they count as philosophers and psychologists)
Russell is a great starting point too, if biased.

Clearly I prefer ethics but I can assure you that there was a time when I greatly preferred metaphysics.
>>
>>7637188
you know its not just reading but to compare, think and understand about the content.

>count as philosophers
what does that even means

and I never understood why would anyone separate fields in such clear cut manner.
>>
>>7637188
I picked out the Greek ones and every other which focus on the mind, thinking, etc.

I haven't read one actually and just downloaded them all hours ago but I plan to start reading them
>>
>>7637227
I only ask because you list several years worth of full time study there. That is considerable time and effort and can't be done part time, some philosophy professors take years off work just to understand Hegel.

>Who is to say what counts as a philosopher?
Yes it's subjective to an extent, the ones I listed are above standard literature even though they appear to be in that genre.

We cut the fields because there is lots of fluff that can be watered down into other fields and masquerade as deeper than it is, and with these strict fields entire professions are dedicated to track the origins of thoughts so that credit for ideas can't be stolen.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.