[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the literary equivalent of Earthbound? Quirky surreal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Earthbound.png (18 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
Earthbound.png
18 KB, 512x448
What is the literary equivalent of Earthbound? Quirky surreal and able to make someone as embittered as me feel childlike with wonder?
>>
File: umaru ebina chan.gif (973 KB, 500x319) Image search: [Google]
umaru ebina chan.gif
973 KB, 500x319
>>7636683
Good examples off the top of my head:
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,
Dirk Gently,
2001: A Space Odyssey
Big Trouble
>>
Murakami's weird shit might be what you're looking for, even if he gets shit on around here
>>
>Japanese Twee

Murakami.
>>
>>7636683
The childhood section of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>>
>>7637378
this is the only good answer provided so far. poor show, /lit/.
>>
>>7637378
this is the only good part of that book
>>
File: moominvalley in november.png (328 KB, 544x575) Image search: [Google]
moominvalley in november.png
328 KB, 544x575
>>7636683
Moomins?
>>
>>7636683

honestly, without belittling anything, I think that good video games are better at doing what you're describing than books are. unless you're willing to read good childrens' books. Adult authors rarely strike that chord you're talking about. Tons of POETS do it though, and the names of those who do are so obvious that I don't even have to list them.

Novelists take themselves too seriously. Poets sometimes do, but many want that wonder back. Also writing novels is easier than writing good poetry
>>
>>7638245

> the part I spoilered

actually I take that back, there's about 10 novels I've read that compare to my favorite poems. but it really really is rare to find a novel with as much to say as a well crafted sonnet or especially a few of shakespeare's best lines.

midsummer night's dream fits what you're looking for in the OP, btw
>>
This was a very thoughtful post. Where can I find articles that are written in such a thoughtful and nuanced manner?
>>
>>7639420
this.
>>
>>7637365
>>7637360
murakami's far too
>like, existential, man
to be close to the earthbound aesthetic
>>
the one fucking time /lit/ needed to post Pynchon and you failed.

V.!!!

>song lyrics
>hippies
>multiple viewpoints
>>
Mason && Dixon
>>
>>7636683
Infinite Meme
>>
Knausgaard Book 3
>>
Literally Donald Barthelme
>>
Gogol, if you go with the "Nabokov way" of reading him.
>>
>>7636683
Infinite Jest, yes, really.
>>
>>7639923
I would second this. It's a genuinely lovely book and probably my favourite out of the 4 so far translated.
>>
>>7636688
> Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,
> Dry, cynical British humour
> Childlike, full of wonder
? ? ?
>>
File: AliceWonderland22.jpg (37 KB, 303x384) Image search: [Google]
AliceWonderland22.jpg
37 KB, 303x384
>>
Mother 3 is better
>>
The Phantom Tollbooth
>>
>>7640053
"Nabkov Way" meaning?
>>
>>7640699
They're both fantastic for different reasons. Earthbound goes for a more surrealist atmosphere full of quirky humor (barring the sections toward the end where it dives head first into nightmarish, surreal horror) and focuses on the wonderful simplicity and charm of childhood.

Mother 3 is less about children doing childish things and more about the dissolution of childhood innocence. Its tone is totally different from Earthbound, but I don't think one is better than the other. It's all down to preference really.

tl;dr - Both Earthbound and Mother 3 are good, well-made and well-written games that are totally different tonally.
>>
read kurt vonnegut.

it won't give you that sense of quirkyness or childlike wonder.

but you'll find it similar to earthbound's humor, mainly because shigesato itoi took inspiration from "The Sirens of titan"
>>
>>7638235
this
>>7640733
this

and redwall
>>
>>7640985
Good taste.
>>
>>7640976
I always thought of Mother 3 as an actual coming of age story, where Lucas goes through all of these changes in his life, and you as the player see first hand how Lucas deals with them.

by the end you get a sort of sense that Lucas has grown so much, even his dad sort of hints at how much he's grown at the end
>>
>>7640982
Came here to post Sirens of Titan
>>
Manga
>>
>>7640985
Knows what it is
>>
>>7640985
cont'd

and shel silverstien and roald dahl
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.