[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here have this? Or any LoA? They seem fun to collect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 260x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 260x281
Anyone here have this? Or any LoA? They seem fun to collect
>>
>>7636366
i want that, my DICK gets hard when i see a photo.
>>
>>7636366
they are good. you don't get the chill slipcase unless you are a member though
>>
>>7636369
It does look nice. It's only 13 of his books though, going for 60 something on amazon
>>
I have the Lovecraft and Frost collections. I love them.
>>
>>7636366

I started reading Do Androids Dream etc one time, and I was just appalled at how shittily written it was. I mean, that was the worst prose I have ever read anywhere. The average post on reddit or 4chan is written smoother than the horse shit garbage of that book.

The very first sentence in particular is the most awkward, poorly written opening sentence in all the long history of crappy books. How the fuck that sentence made it past his editor I have no idea.
>>
Rankings from top best bottom least best

Four Novels of the 1960s
>Ubik
>Stigmata
>Androids
>High Castle

Five Novels of the 60s and 70s
>Scanner
>Bloodmoney
>Last Year == Tears
>Time Slip

VALIS and Later Novels
>Transmigration
>VALIS
>Maze
>Invasion
>>
>>7636572
People read Dick more for his ideas than his style. Most of his pre-1970s SF has a very clunky writing style. The non-SF books he wrote at the time (which weren't published till later) have a much more careful style. He was clearly taking his time over those, then dashing out first drafts of SF novels and publishing them.

Androids is especially clunky at the start, so it's a pity that that's the Dick book that so many people try first (due to its movie version).

I'd recommend starting with one of his 70s pre-VALIS novels instead, particularly A Scanner Darkly.
>>
>>7636572

I remembered it wrong. It's not the first sentence that's so awful. It's the second sentence. Just read how awkward it is, read and cringe:

A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened Rick Deckard. Surprised—it always surprised him to find himself awake without prior notice—he rose from the bed, stood up in his multicolored pajamas, and stretched. Now, in her bed, his wife Iran opened her gray, unmerry eyes, blinked, then groaned and shut her eyes again.
>>
>>7636601
I always wondered why he named the wife Iran.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.