[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here read pic related? I am very interested in reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
Has anyone here read pic related? I am very interested in reading up on the Islamic reformation movements that have been taking place in the past few decades.

Also related, what do you think of the idea that Islam today is at the same place Christianity was back in the middle ages?
>>
Reform? It's called Sunni, Shia, Sufi, Ahmadiyya, Baha'is. All a total and utter failure. Those "moderate" Muslims preaching reform are involved in Taqiyya. Muslims are low IQ people, worshipping a mass murdering pedophile that's deemed perfect and must be emulated as much and as closely as possible. He’s the source of all evil. A source that no muslims is willing to denounce.
The Christians, at least, had Jesus, the Ten Commandments and Martin Luther.

Jesus the hippie > Muhammad the rapist.
>>
Read Islam by Maajid Nawaz and Sam Harris.
>>
>>7636887
>Sam Harris.

lmao
>>
>>7636287
How does one reform what was a religion of conquest and anti-human values from the very beginning? Not to be fedora, but it seems telling that so many people would rather try to reinvent the wheel while hanging on to the framework they grew up with than consider adopting a faith that actually fits their values.

Reformation of Christianity and Judaism didn't do a thing except permit people to forsake the core values of their faith without having to take the painful step of leaving it.
>>
>>7636889
>muh anti-anti-theism
He wrote a book with a Muslim, you're delusional if you think Harris is a fedora.
>>
>>7636895
I don't care about whether he's an atheist or a believer. He's a fucking idiot
>>
>>7636900
He really isn't, maybe you can elaborate and convince me of your opinion beyond memes though.
>>
>>7636901
He IS a meme
>>
>>7636905
So you can't defend your stance beyond memes you picked up by osmosis?
I think you're the idiot
>>
>>7636908
I read The Moral Landscape which was retarded. And his correspondence with Chomsky shows just what a petulant moron he is.
>>
>>7636287
Not read the book but, this guy plays the victim card pretty hard in a debate with Hitchens. It's fucking annoying.Watch it(if you haven't already) and then decide.
>>
>>7636912
I never read that, I'm not interested in anti-theism.
But I reckon there are some salvageable ideas in that book judging by the opinions of people who have read it and I respect, the conversation with Chomsky showed that Chomsky is a retard who thinks everyone is a neo-con shill and refuses to speak reasonably about topics he made his mind up decades ago.

Sam Harris actually treated him with respect with every mail just to get a "No fuck you neo-con shill" answer every time.
>>
>>7636917
>implying he isn't a neo-con shill
>>
>>7636920
He isn't, he receives that claim because he's simply too nice to shut-down people who taint his name like all the Theist autists and braindead lefitists who are butthurt at him, namely Glenn Greenwald and Reza Aslan.

Sam is actually super liberal himself, but refuses to admit that Islam is equal to Christianity and that the modern wave of terrorism can be totally attributed to the West's doing, which are reasonable claims, they're not exactly provocative or outlandish that would warrant the title "neo-con shill".

He also condemned all actions in Iraq, unlike Hitchens who never had to hear people call him a neo-con shill.
>>
>>7636928
If Sam Harris fights Reza Aslan, he's doing the work of any God that cares about us.

Pretty sure people call Hitchens a neocon shill all the time tho.
>>
Islam has been reforming
in the direction of fundamentalism though
>>
>>7636287
>reading/listening Tariq Ramadan
>ever
It's like you don't even know what taqqiya means

>>7637041
this tbqh f a m
>>
oy vey
>>
File: vomit.png (34 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
vomit.png
34 KB, 210x210
>'reformed' religions
>'moderate' religions
>'modern' religions
>>
Itt pinko leftists argue with pseuds who saw the word taqqiya on thereligionofpeace once

Nice
>>
>>7637129
dumb phoneposter
>>
>>7637083
>religions
>>
>>7636893

>How does one reform what was a religion of conquest and anti-human values from the very beginning?

You and I both know that no religion is as simple as that.
>>
>>7636881

Interesting.
>>
File: 25 cent piece.jpg (104 KB, 600x601) Image search: [Google]
25 cent piece.jpg
104 KB, 600x601
>>7636881
>>
>>7636915

>>7636915

OP here,

I saw that debate back when I was a raging fedora, although it was pretty unmemorable compared to Hitchen's other debates.

I'm still an atheist, but I've developed a sort of appreciation for religion.

I have not read the book either btw, I don't even know anything about the guy. I just want to learn more about the moderate side of Islam, which I believe actually exists. Just looking for books on the subject.
>>
>>7637207
tl;dr I got black-mailed into respecting religion because people kept posting pictures of men wearing unfashionable hats when I voiced my sincere opinion.

Pathetic retard.
>>
>>7636287
I've read another book by him. I got the impression that he takes himself a little too seriously. He is intelligent and in my opinion worthwhile though.

That idea is good and bad if we adjust it to Chriatianity of say Enlightenment's time. We shouldn't overstretch it though since it isn't as if each religion is going through "Progress" and Christianity is somehow more advanced historically. But it is similar in the sense that they were/are both encountering modernity, secularism, plurality and other similar ideas and having to respond. But it is different, Christians encountered it within their own culture, Muslims see it tied to the West and then how both religions are different, economics and other stuff. I don't think both religions can ultimately have the same response to modernity.
>>
>>7637207
Also Tariq would be a good source for modernity and Islam as well as Hossein Nasr.
>>
>>7637382

Be nice to strangers, my child, you'll be far happier that way.
>>
>>7637404
>>7637406

Thank you
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.