[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/ I've been asking my philosophy professor a lot of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1371499751981.png (192 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1371499751981.png
192 KB, 500x375
/lit/ I've been asking my philosophy professor a lot of dumb questions, and today this was mine:

>Why do we hurt when we hurt others, and is mankind's capacity for violence something to overcome/live with?

What keeps us from hurting each other? We feel bad when we do it, so what is it, /lit/? God? Chemicals?
>>
>>7634280
Two books for you:

On Killing by Grossman
http://bookzz.org/book/2036990/40c283

The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker
http://bookzz.org/book/1207300/44d443
>>
>>7634295
Thanks man!
>>
File: 1373196658701.gif (500 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
1373196658701.gif
500 KB, 500x381
these are literally the questions that evangelion tries to answer

i got you senpai
>>
Genealogy of Morality, Book 2
>>
>>7634295
>The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker

lmao
>>
>>7634280
It's meme magic.
>>
File: 72ff70c6cb32a57995de5d2081132da7.jpg (268 KB, 1934x1296) Image search: [Google]
72ff70c6cb32a57995de5d2081132da7.jpg
268 KB, 1934x1296
>>7634280
>>
OP here:

He talked about this story of a man having to kill an armed child in self defense. He said that he was chastised by himself for harming another human, and that God, or some sort of spiritual forces dictate that man doesn't do wrong to another for it does harm to himself in the process.

I argued that this was true, but from an Agnostic point. That harming another and subsequently feeling bad about it is a naturally evolved check against killing another of your own species. We kill based on culture but culture is an evolutionary adaption and the body at its core doesn't recognize culture as substantial enough to inhibit subconscious actions. That even Nazis could barely stomach having to execute people with bullets was proof of this.

It was kinda pointless, but I still wanted to know what you think.
>>
>>7634334
Excellent contribution to the discussion anon. Surely you have read the book and feel qualified to comment.
>>
>>7634378
>That harming another and subsequently feeling bad about it is a naturally evolved check against killing another of your own species.

Have you heard of psychopathic personality disorder? Or even opened a history book? Have you ever been bullied at school? The whole course of human history shows that conscience isn't genetic as you think, because the majority had no problems with killing others. Do you think the Inquisitioner felt remorse when he tortured women daily? Do you think an ISIS muslim feels remorse when he decapitates another being of the same species? If they actually had conscience, they wouldn't have committed these atrocities on the first place.

>That even Nazis could barely stomach having to execute people with bullets was proof of this.

But they had no trouble conducting experiments on humans, torturing humans, and killing 6 billion people because of national identity.

There's no inbuilt conscience in humans. Not everyone feels bad when killing or hurting another. In fact, the ones who feel bad are a minority; the majority think they're doing God's Will, teaching a lesson, playing with the "subhumans" (that group they consider inferiour and bad and thus worthy of being persecuted), and never even have an inkling that what they are doing is harmful in any way. Want a close example. A group of people on another board here insulted a person over the Internet without any reason whatsoever, just because. This person got emotional. Their reaction? "Lol, it's just words," "It's the Internet," "It's for their good." They never thought that maybe they're the ones in the wrong, and that the trolling they did was tasteless, pointless, and cruel. No remorse.

TL;DR: Conscience isn't the result of evolution.
>>
>>7634478
Not OP but:

Doesn't classifying "Psychopathy" as a personality disorder invoke human attitudes regarding that sort of behavior to begin with? If this were a widespread thing and we did nothing about it, that'd be one thing, but we routinely demonize these sorts of people, we make them into monsters.

I think that a manipulative few coerced a very resistant "many" into violating their inborn conscience. Again, it's very easy to highlight extreme examples of famous people who did wrong, until you consider how very few there are and what their fate was.

Some could even say that ideology was invented to be a "lubricant" for conquest.

Where does our Conscience come from?
>>
>>7634280
If I were to answer, I would say its depend on the culture and what would be conceived as good or harmful to the group by other members in what perceived by them as behavior or actions that will maintain themselves in unity and strong against outsiders.
>>
>>7634280
My brain hurts
>>
>>7634478
>a minority feel bad for hurting other people

Gonna need some evidence for that bromigo
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.