[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, either Jonathan Blow browses /lit/ or people actually read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
File: CZxBql4WkAImmEd[1].jpg (28 KB, 597x170) Image search: [Google]
CZxBql4WkAImmEd[1].jpg
28 KB, 597x170
So, either Jonathan Blow browses /lit/ or people actually read Tommy 'shit teeth' Pinecone outside of meme websites.

Discuss.
>>
Don't know who that is and don't care. The Guardian sucks. "Reclusive" people don't do op-eds in national papers.
>>
my mum reads him lad
>>
PTA made a fuckin Pynchon movie last year m8
>>
>>7633780
>people actually read Tommy 'shit teeth' Pinecone outside of meme websites.

Do you live in a cave?
>>
>>7633780
Jonathan Blow can eat shit. Video game celebrities are not /lit/, reported.
>>
>>7633780

>discovered pinecone through /lit/

shuggly digger dugtrio
>>
>>7633780
>people actually read Tommy 'shit teeth' Pinecone outside of meme websites.

There's a film based on one of his books; he's hardly obscure.
>>
>discovering Pynchon through /lit/
Wew
>>
This guy sound sounds pretentious to the point where he turned me off from his games. I've never played Braid, and his marketing campaign for The Witness, featuring terms like " long screenshots " was very off-putting.

Besides, the video game industry has its own Pynchon in Kojima.
>>
>>7633910

>has its own Pynchon in Kojima.

8/8
>>
>>7633780
He's considered one of the greatest writers in the 21st century. Do you think DFW is a meme only /lit/ knows about too?
>>
>>7633926
>Against the Day
>Inherent Vice
>Bleeding Edge

Heh.
>>
>>7633931
Convincing refutation.
>>
Jonathon Blows Ass
>>
>>7633780
>numerous references in pop culture
>a film by a know director
>articles everywhere

C'mon son
>>
>>7633910
>has its own Pynchon in Kojima.
He is more like DFW, Yoko Taro is more like it.
>>
>>7633780
He probably des lurk /v/, so it's not that farfetched for him to go on /lit/
>>
>>7634081
yet, nobody actually reads him
>>
>>7634149

>implying jason rohrer isn't the only developer in such a young form that even approaches the works of artists in an established form
>>
>>7633780
Man are you fucking stupid? Pynchon is extremely well known in the literary world
If you're into literature chances are you know who Pynchon is.
>>
>>7634215
>its well know because american college kids read it!

In the civilized world we don't care for your meme author, lad.
>>
If you think pynchon is some kind of /lit/ discovery, you're a supreme dumass
>>
Thats such a stupid statement, unless youre talking about making games with the same sort of story and world and sense of humor as GR, which obviously he isnt because his games are just puzzle games for eggheads. What does he even mean.... Games for smart people? Tons of low- T nerds out there willing to spend 80 hrs cracking the puzzles in The Witness who dont have the attention span or personal depth to read literature. Its a totally different mental skillset. Whats this guy on about. Whatever. Actually made me mad for some reason...
>>
>>7633780
Wow, this actually killed some of my excitement for The Witness

But it doesn't surprise me that he's so into Pynchon—his degree was half English lit and half programming. If it had been wholly English literature...

But he's brilliant when he talks about game design, so I'm not going to rip on his literary opinions
>>
What do you guys think of Blow's writing in Braid and The Witness?
>>
>>7634473
It blows.
>>
So are we going to get a part in this game where somebody eats a turd?
>>
Here's something from one of the books in Braid
>>
>>7633910
>This guy sound sounds pretentious to the point where he turned me off from his games. I've never played Braid

I don't see why he gets called pretentious. Because he calls out problems in game design?

Watch one of his lectures at least, or play Braid, before judging. You've formed that opinion based on quotes cherry-picked for clickbait articles. If you spent a bit of time listening to him you might realize that he's not half as pompous as he's made out to be, and his game is great fun (not just "interesting")

His lectures on game design are generally making the point that games need to communicate more through gameplay, and that often game rules contradict the ideas which are being expressed through story/cutscenes/etc. An example he gives is Bioshock, where the decision to kill (for their power) or spare the little girls is meant to be a moral dilemma; but there is no dilemma because the devs balanced the game so that there is no practical benefit to being evil—thus no temptation to overcome, and no dilemma. He also makes the point that cloying cutscenes are not as effective for generating player sympathy as putting the player into a dependent relationship with an object/NPC—he points to how reluctant players were in Portal to destroy the companion cube, which had for a few levels assisted them in completing puzzles.

The point is that games are systems which have a kind of philosophy, and that game developers need to exploit that more mindfully.

I don't see why that perspective is so pretentious.
>>
>>7633780
>I want to make games for people who read Gravity's Rainbow

so, Call of Duty?
>>
>>7634284
>for some reason

Perhaps because you treat literature like some sort of secret club? Just finished Gravity's Rainbow this week, and while it took me awhile to read I never felt like I was in over my head or couldn't understand what was happening. It's not that far out.
>>
>>7634513
It's not his gameplay really, he has good opinons, it's just that when he does try to communicate through the game he ends up fucking it up, like in the witness, the last "cutscene" is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen, in any medium.
>>
>>7633785
>The Guardian sucks.
what do you read then? the daily mail ? top kek
>>
>>7634509
Most of the complaints about Braid's story could be cleared up by pointing out two obvious facts:

Braid is a game about a man who thinks he is rescuing a princess, but he may be deceived.

The princess stands for something surpassingly beautiful, pure, and perhaps unreal. Something so noble that it hardly seems possible. One very plausible interpretation says that Braid is about the life of an intellectual in pursuit of a transcendent truth which he never finds; in that pursuit he alienates himself from his fellows and from truth itself, and could not see that he was going backwards instead; that all his progress has only led him further away, and he finally ends no closer than he began. Thus Braid is a game about going forward and back; experimenting and retracing your steps; it's about discovery and about failure.

Perhaps the stab in the back was one falsified bit of data, one fact overlooked, in defence of a false theory? And he cannot undo the mistake without scrapping the whole theory?
>>
>>7634629
Now explain this shit right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yMw0l26Jvs
>>
>>7634256
Maybe read the OP next time you fucking idiot
He wondered if people read Pinecone outside of meme websites like /lit/
I explained that people do
>>
>>7634509
Is this supposed to be terrible? Because it's not
>>
video games are for children
>>
>>7634827
4chan is for children.
>>
>>7633785
>>7634617
The Guardian is literally "WHITE PRIVILEGE RAPE RAPE PATRIARCHY": The Newspaper
>>
>>7634617
False dichotomy.
>>
>>7633907
this

what happened to the board
>>
>>7634473
The Witness has writing?
>>
>>7634617
Nice false dichotomy buddy. I wouldn't expect anything less from a Guardian reader.
>>
>>7633780
I stopped reading the guardian when it tried to tell me that HP sauce is racist. I read the Telegraph now but it's just not the same. Sometimes I read the independent too.
>>
>>7634893
there's some stuff said at the end of the game, not gonna spoil it though
>>
isn't the witness just a fucking endless stream of identikit maze puzzles set on a budget talos principle island?
>>
>>7634853
>>7634617

>implying that at least 95% of artists on /lit/s top 100 aren't serious lefties

>implying there's no good reasons that art and literature are dominated by the left

>implying stewart lee's articles in the guardian aren't god tier

okie doke
>>
>>7635011
/lit/ is filled with tasteless children, and there is nothing good produced by your definition of the 'left'.
>>
Got embarrassed in class today because I pronounced his name as 'Pinecone'. Fuck you guys mates.
>>
>>7635022

>your opinion

thanks bud
>>
>>7635060
>my opinion
Not my opinion son.
>>
>Braid
shit game
>>
>>7635107
>any game
shit
>>
>>7635112
yeah
>>
>>7635011
>implying that at least 95% of artists on /lit/s top 100 aren't serious lefties

Totally pointless thing to say, and demonstrably false—if one were to count all the Tories, monarchists, etc. (people who would have been thought conservative in their own time and in ours) on that list, you'd find it exceeds five. But that still ignores the question of whether they'd be left or right in our time. What was conservative four hundred years ago might be 'progressive' now; what's conservative now might have been very liberal then. Milton was liberal for his time; we should find him an extreme conservative in ours. One cannot doubt that he would be disgusted by the licentiousness of modern society.

Either way, it's a dumb way to talk about writers with widely varying political ideals. "Left" vs. "Right" is oversimplified as fuck
>>
favorite professor of mine is doing a course entirely on gravity's rainbow next semester
>>
>>7633780
I just get the feeling that Pynchon hates shit like this
>>
>>7634487
>>
>>7636122

And for which he can kiss our collective ass.

He should have spent more time reading Thompson, and following Thompson's dictum on creation with the zeal of Thompson's absolute fidelity to this dictum. And all of this could have been avoided.

Now ...
>>
>>7633780
juvenile video games?
how is this a story?
>>
>>7636122
Pynchon's off smoking weed and jerking off. If he heard about this he'd probably say something to the effect of
>Damn, they made a video game for people who read my book? That's crazy, man
And never think about it again.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.