[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern Art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: recreate6a.jpg (93 KB, 478x599) Image search: [Google]
recreate6a.jpg
93 KB, 478x599
I just read Mme Bovary from Flaubert and I was wondering why would critics qualify it as one of the first modern book

pic related considered as the father of modern art

What's the signification of those claims?
>>
>>7633771
define modern, you SJW cultural marxist feminist cuckold (I am redpilled)
>>
How is that painting considered the first piece of modern art? Did the artist put it in a little glass bottle and piss in it?
>>
File: 28636.jpg (19 KB, 318x466) Image search: [Google]
28636.jpg
19 KB, 318x466
I'm too ineloquent to tell you, but I can tell you that the answer to that is in Milan Kundera's "The Curtain".

>http://www.enotes.com/topics/curtain

"The Curtain is a collection of essays by Czech novelist Milan Kundera, author of L’Insoutenable légèreté de l’être (1984; The Unbearable Lightness of Being, 1984). The seven essays have a stream-of-consciousness quality. For instance, Kundera may begin with an observation, find a parallel between that and some incident from his past, consider how that incident reminds him of a moment in Gustave Flaubert’s Madame Bovary (1857), draw a connection between Flaubert and Miguel de Cervantes, and so on. The Curtain reads less like a textbook than a lecture on such a book, taking ideas and then expounding and digressing. A familiarity with the subject matter at hand (François Rabelais, Gabriel García Márquez, and others) is recommended. ...

... The third essay relates how Flaubert was criticized by one of his contemporaries for not writing a more uplifting story. Painters or musicians can be commissioned by the Church or wealthy patrons to produce a work of art that furthers some particular agenda, and they can still produce something of genuine artistic value, but literature does not work that way. A novel must be an honest portrayal of the way people act and think, whether that shows them to be moral or not. This exploration of the human condition occurred in literature decades before existentialism took hold in philosophy and in fact laid the groundwork for that strand of philosophy."
>>
>>7633795
this. degenerate culture postmodernists have destroyed art.

hitler was right about degenerate art. now it's all about menstruation and feces because of cultural marxism.
>>
>>7633793
I want to know what the critics mean by modern too. I guess the're talking about the realism but i wanted to know if someone knew anything about it

>>7633795
Modern not contemporary
>>
>>7633803
critics are often judeo-feminists. Don't listen to them
>>
>>7633771
Father of modern art is Manet.

source: me
>>
>>7633800
Thanks i'll try to find the curtain then, I've already read a few of kundera's books and appreciated them quite much but I didn't know he wrote essays. I wouldn't really read him as a theorical thinker though, more like philosophical and funny digressions

>>7633817
It's commonly accepted that the impressionnist are the beginning of modern art but a lot of critics list Velasquez as the precursor of modernism
>>
burgeoning modernity was self-aware (post) Enlightenment values put to art
>>
>>7633830
That's not eligible for Velasquez he's from the 17 century
>>
>>7633830
And I don't really see any values from the enlightment in Flaubert's book exept maybe the strive for individual liberty but it's very mild
>>
>>7633771
Dusclaimer: talking about painting here.

Note that there is a difference between "modernity" and "modernism". The latter is usually said to start with the impressionists, Manet's 1863 dejeuner sur l'herbe in particular (although there is no agreement on this, cases have been made for works by, most notably, Millais and even David, for example). The former denotes not only a historical artistic period, but a set of general values and ideas that arose since the renaissance. It is characterised by a rejection of tradition and innovation, and the first person that could be said to have accomplished this and completely done away with medieval values, is supposedly Velázquez. Of course, there is no agreement on that either. It is understandable, though, when you read a commentary on Las Meninas.

Modernism is usually seen as a part of modernity, so if Velázquez is the father of modernity the claim of him being the father of modern art in general is quickly made.
>>
>>7633917
Characterised by (a rejection of tradition) and (innovation), to be clear
>>
>>7633927
>>7633917
thanks and what would you think modernism is exactly?
>>
>>7634187
I guess it could be seen as the climax of modernity, when the ideas that had been forming become sophisticated and widespread enough to be applied to politics and artistic avant garde. This is a process that begins roughly with the french revolution. People became aware of the progress that was possible in all fields, leading to widespread political, economical and artistic experimentation. It is what allowed Manet, Marx, Nietzsche, Freud, Malevich, Picasso, Duchamp, Hitler, etc to happen.
>>
Fucking plebs not knowing about what defines classical art.
Northern classical art did not focus on the infinite space, which is where the great divide started with classical and neo classical. Also unlike the art of Flanders it's not completely saturated in allusions to God or contemporary celebrities. The act of rebellion that inspired this piece should solidity this as the father of modern art.
>>
File: 1452314291246.jpg (580 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1452314291246.jpg
580 KB, 1536x2048
i had a one night stand with a girl who said of all literary characters she was most like madame bovary. i haven't read it, what did she mean by this?

pic unrelated sadly
>>
>>7634959
>first thing i notice is the bare feet
i need to stop going on 4chan
>>
>>7634959
she's a whore but think she's classy and not like the other whores
>>
>>7634959
she's a whore who thinks she's not like the other whores. also a gold digger.
>>
>>7634959
You don't have a very good taste in females.
>>
>>7634967
>>7634974
Man, I hate whores and gold diggers.
>>
>>7635005
maybe she didn't even read the book and just namedropping it. i find it difficult to see why a girl would describe herself like that.
>>
>>7634974
>>7634967
but she told me she rarely did that sort of thing
>>
>>7634959
She means that she has a very idealised vision of love and affection that noone can reach maybe because of the literature she's read or movies, also she's never completely happy

>>7634967
>>7634974
>>7635005
>>7635008
idiots who didn't read the book or are completely stpupid
>>
>>7635086
thanks this seems more likely
>>
File: kokoschka-fiancee-vent 1913.jpg (1 MB, 2204x1755) Image search: [Google]
kokoschka-fiancee-vent 1913.jpg
1 MB, 2204x1755
>>7635102
How was the sex?
I guess she should be needy and passionate identifying as bovary
>>
>>7634959
Name of girl in pic?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.