[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
for some odd reason, it's required I read this behemoth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: bleak-house.jpg (51 KB, 500x636) Image search: [Google]
bleak-house.jpg
51 KB, 500x636
for some odd reason, it's required I read this behemoth for one of my courses. I'm overall not familiar with Dickens and or his work. Any thoughts on this boulder of a book?
>>
>>7633708
I think that's the one with the great opening sentence featuring a dinosaur. Never read it, but the TV show starring Scully was good.
>>
>>7633708
Are you a post-grad? Is this a course on Dickens? Is this related to your dissertation?

Reading such a huge book for an undergrad course is fucking stupid, and there is so much chance for something to go wrong in your analysis, especially since like all of Dicken's work it is subject to serial bloat. Would probably drop course desu senpai, unless it was a 100 level where I would probably read supplementary works and watch the tv show.
>>
>>7633712
It's for my undergrad. The class is major movement in 19th century British literature. Fortunately and unfortunately, it's a 3000 level course.
>>
It's beautifully written and really vividly evokes Victorian London. However, the three main characters, Esther, Richard and Ada, are less memorable than the side characters and the main storyline kind of drags.
>>
>>7633725
that's not uplifting nor is it encouraging
>>
Daily reminder Dickens was paid by the word
>>
>>7633733
I'm going to need some citations on that.
>>
>>7633722

This>>7633733, find an abridged copy. If you were reading for your own autistic need to be a Dickens master, fine, but you are reading for a grade (I assume).

>>7633738
http://dickens.ucsc.edu/resources/faq/by-the-word.html

Anon is sorta full of shit, but Dickens was def paid for lit in bulk.
>>
Dickens was a huge hack who bloated his novels to hell, but he's a very talented hack. He's a great writer with a great sense of setting and character, and his plots may be long but most sequences have their significance.

Also, it's really easy to skim his novels. Yeah, you won't get his rhythm of prose or whatever, but if you're reading it for school and don't have the time, you can just skim it.
>>
>>7633744
I'm going to be a text-book shit and skim the sparknotes, cliffnotes and even degrade my worth and find my way to and towards shmoop.
>>
>>7633711
the show was sweet. Charles Dance is a beast as Tulkinghorn.
>>
It's a good book, some of my favorite sections in literature come from it.

As for the "fluff", one of my favorite scenes in the book would be considered "fluff"
because it doesn't provide anything substantial to the end goal. People hating on the
side plots are strange to me. It would be one thing if the extra stuff sucked; but it
doesn't, they add a great deal of immersion to the overall plot.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.