[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people who criticize a book because they can't identify
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: 1387932092895.jpg (99 KB, 680x431) Image search: [Google]
1387932092895.jpg
99 KB, 680x431
>people who criticize a book because they can't identify with any of the characters
>people who write a book off as "too confusing"
>people who call a book pretentious
What triggers you, /lit/?
>>
people who compare pynchon to shakespeare
>>
Lit major here

Our classes have come to
>book x is shit because there are no female characters
>book y sucks because the protagonist is a weakling
>book z sucks because plot
>>
>>7633070
that first one triggers me something fierce because 'relating' is the most narcissistic 'stupid pleb thing to say' when it comes to talking about media and I hear it constantly
>>
>>7633074
you must go to some kind of shit school because i literally attend oberlin college and our english classes are nothing like that
>>
>people who think minorities writing about their experiences is predictable and repetitive
>same people's favorite books are all either fantasy or about a sad, vaguely existential mid-20s to late-30s white guy
>>
>>7633080
It's not that shit, actually,it's just that my classes are filled with Harry Potter wankers wearing Eragon necklaces and shite

They can't grasp anything remotely serious.
>>
>>7633084
>eragon necklaces
is this a real thing
can you confirm
i want to know just how gay america is in 2016
>>
>>7633083
Sup darkie?
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 346x424) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 346x424
>>7633083
>we be oppressed by whitey ooga booga buy my book nugguh bish aise muh fuh fooboo mup da doo didda bix nood
>>
>>7633070
>>people who call a book pretentious
That's legitimate criticism when the word is used properly.
>>
>>7633097
>>7633108
I laughed.
>>7633092
https://www.etsy.com/market/eragon
>>
>>7633198
so they wear dragon necklaces
i guess that's pretty gay
kinda disappointed it's not eragon specific
>>
>>7633209
the point is that those who believe Eragon is a top notch book shit all over Nabokov, Joyce, Conrad, Lawrence, Crane etc
>>
>>7633070
people who dictate what other should like
>>
>>7633070
>Cohesive. Compelling images from the rust belt. Unfortunately, this book is drowning in its heteronormative masculinity. For one thing, it needs a counterpart where women actually do things. Not a single woman in this book actually does anything other than have PIV intercourse with a man. Oh.. there is a bit of pregnant belly-rubbing and hanging of laundry on clotheslines. Right! Stereotypes of masculinity covered in this text include: fighting, wearing Italian shoes, drinking scotch, driving a truck, hopping trains, chopping wood, playing with fire, making poor engineering decisions, owning a business, being homeless, not listening to women, being sexually available at all times, etc.
>>
>>7633070

I won't call a book (or really anything for that matter) pretentious IRL because I have enough social intelligence to know that it makes me sound like a tryhard, but I will shitpost about what I find pretentious on /lit/ with great enthusiasm.
>>
A girl I knew apparently skipped all descriptions of the environment in books, because she had her "own idea" of what they looked like. I didn't know what the fuck to say.
>>
>>7633074
>book x is shit because there are no female characters
one of the biggest reasons I decided not to study literature right here
>>
>>7633193
The word is never used properly. It's universally used as "it was shit because I couldn't understand it".
>>
>>7633072
But the combination of high and low culture is a fair comparison
>>
>>7633278

>It's universally used as "it was shit because I couldn't understand it".

No it's not.
>>
>>7633261
Why can't feminists grasp that not every books has to be about subverting gender roles?
>>
>>7633284
They're frustrated and their jimmies are rustled.
>>
Christian people. Christian sentiments. Christian logic. Christian hypocrisy. Christian texts. Christian "thinkers". Christian conformists. Christian apologists. Christian spreaders. Christian ceremonies. Christian cultural artifacts. Christian influence. Christian politics/politicians. Christian posters. Christian "sympathy". Christian righteousness. Christian 'holier than thou' attitude. Christian women. Christian updates on profiles. Christian closeted homos. Christians.
>>
>>7633305
Muslims are fine though :^)
>>
>>7633305
>Christian "thinkers"
Come back to me when you've written anything that has even one tenth the literary value of The Brothers Karamazov you angsty redditor
>>
File: 24760-21388-6156.jpg (81 KB, 626x669) Image search: [Google]
24760-21388-6156.jpg
81 KB, 626x669
>when people use 'it was boring' as a criticism
>>
>>7633241
I blame the nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>7633070
>denying a book because the author was X
>>
>>7633070
These kinds of bullshit criticisms are even more rampant in film reviews, I can't fucking stand it

>critic admits they don't understand book/movie
>gives it a score anyways
>>
>>7633084
so what you're saying it is that shit

your fault for being too dumb to get into a good school
>>
>>7633283
Either name a book that's pretentious, or that anon is right.
>>
>>7633274
Wow this made me laugh hard
>>
>>7634508
Not that anon, but books can certainly be criticised for pretension. Take James Franco's Palo Alto, for one. It'd be impossible to encounter that book without knowing it's Franco's attempt to appear a talented writer
>>
>>7634508
Infinite Meme. talentless hack trying to appear intelligent. Then made used suicide as a career move. Pretentious/10.

Also stuff like Murakami and McCarthy.
>>
>>7634567
Holy shit you are not a smart person

There are pretentious books out there but you're doing a bad just of explaining that
>>
any variety of
>I can't identify with the characters
>characters don't reflect meeeeeee

what's up with all this egocentric reading that seems to be permeating the internet, I swear to god
>>
>>7634568
butthurt dfw fanboy detected

you probably think joyce is pretentious :)
>>
>>7634585
I enjoy Joyce more than I enjoy Wallace ya fucking dingus
>>
>>7633070
If things plebs say trigger you, you're still one of 'em, ace.
>>
>>7633328
I mean, it's fairly vague, but it's certainly a better so-called criticism than 'pretentious'
>>
>>7634567
bad post
>>7634557
good post
>>
People who believe reading for prose without enjoyment will benefit them or increase their standing to fellow anons in any way.

The defenders of American Psycho as great literature.

Discussions of high-school reading books every day.

People who only assign value to books that are obviously written to be obfuscating.

People who grab hold of books in order to be pretentious.

"Nothing good has been written since the 70s except IJ"

"All contemporary literature is shit"
>>
>>7634440
>tfw you are so old that you thought eragon was a kids book when it came out

But what really triggers me right now on this board is the FUCKING STREET SIGN CAPTCHAS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7634738
But American Psycho is great literature and you clearly haven't read it if you think so
>>
>>7634745
Yeah sure buddy, its a really hard book with difficult prose,. Dunno how I could have missed it with it thrust in my face more than Fight Club.

The reason its popular here is because so many beginning readers experience it as their first edgy book. Its a linear uninteresting overly long horror novel with obvious discussions about materialism with absolutely useless scenes of over the top violence added. The movie was way better

Less than Zero was 10x the book, and for edge masters The Painted Bird was far far better.
>>
>>7634760
Non-Polish edgemasters I guess
>>
How do I stop being critical about what I read?
>>
>>7634760

thiiiiiiiiiis

i read it. i got the point real fast. so much of it was redundant. There's a way to make a flat plot and graphic volence unbelievably compelling. american psycho is not that
>>
>>7634508
Alchemist
>>
>>7634567
this is a better example of pretense.
>>
File: 1443327229881.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
1443327229881.gif
2 MB, 236x224
>>7634740
it was YA when it came out for me. i read it and thought it was the shit. i loved that series actually. but i soon learned that most YA is shit shit and more shit
>>
>the book was way better
most people who say this do not read regularly
it's also just completely inane to compare a book and its movie adaptation as they typically have completely separate goals
>>
>>7633074
>>7633275
>tfw I pander to my hardcore feminist professors by making all of my papers about gender roles.
>tfw I almost always get an A despite the obvious sub-par quality
>>
>>7633305
This desu senpai. Also Christian Morals.
>>
>>7634568
>>7634735
>>7635670

so many plebs trying to pretend their favorite meme author isn't complete drivel ITT
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.