[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Even though he is now considered as a juvenile hack by the masses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: vcover.jpg (48 KB, 297x500) Image search: [Google]
vcover.jpg
48 KB, 297x500
Even though he is now considered as a juvenile hack by the masses of /lit/ as of late, just thought I would mention that I read chapter eleven of V last night entitled: "Confessions of Fausto Maijstral" and it was such a stunning example of how beautiful of a writer Pynchon can be when he wishes. Diary entries of a man living on a southern Italian island constantly being bombed, yet there was such a melancholy wonder to the prose. I read it late at night in bed and god damn if it wasn't some fucking comfy, rain-on-a-tin-roof-during-summer style writing.

Although people seem to love him for his absurd wackiness and tangled structure, I don't seem to see enough people discussing how wonderful of a writer in the classical sense he can be when he wishes. If he ever stepped away from his usual writing style and wrote poetry or more straight-forward prose in some harrowing tale of love and loss, I'm sure he would blow people away and write some magnificent pieces.
>>
>when he wishes

Then why wouldn't he just wish all the time? Are you saying he's a lazy writer?
>>
File: dfw nice try.png (212 KB, 349x464) Image search: [Google]
dfw nice try.png
212 KB, 349x464
>>7632259
N I C E
M
E
M
E
>>
>>7632264
better than pynchon
>>
>>7632261
I'm saying he doesn't give a fuck and does what he wants.

Also he is known to be quiet a stoner-sloth, so yeah he probably is a lazy fella.
>>
I realized this right around Chapter Nine, l think it was? Mondaugen's Story, whichever chapter that was.

Before reading V., I had read Lot 49 and Inherent Vice, both of which were enjoyable, albeit in a juvenile way, as you said yourself. Pynchon is a great writer, I wish the meme mentality hadn't turned on him.
>>
>>7632259
>Even though he is now considered as a juvenile hack by the masses of /lit/ as of late

It's just one dfwposter, ignore him
>>
>>7633295
This.
>>
>>7632274
If you knew anything about Pynchon you'd know he isn't lazy
>>
>>7632259
You praise his prose, yet your post is so terribly written that it's insulting to Pynchon more than anything. Stop taking yourself so seriously.
>>
File: 1445836558887.jpg (29 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1445836558887.jpg
29 KB, 720x720
>Not swindling the reader into thinking the book is about Serious and Important things makes someone a juvenile writer.
I thought this site was 18+.
>>
What kinda music you think Pynchon listens to when he's tokin' up and thinking about that great thing he wrote 40 years ago?
>>
>>7632259
Delillo is Pynchon without gimmicks.

Delillo is better than Pynchon.

There, I said it.
>>
>>7633681
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1yzoiUIGGs
>>
>>7633321
>i don't know what new sincerity is
so did i.
>>
>>7632259
Funny story (kinda): the first two times I read V., I skipped this chapter because it started out so slow and I was (surprisingly) more invested in what happened to the Whole Sick Crew than in the nihilistic noodlings of a maltese bum. It wasn't until my second read-through that I noticed some themes carried over (Malta, Maijstral, WWI, plural identity) that I pushed through the initial philosophical dreck and read what amounts to the secret cheat chamber of the book. That stuff about the street of the 20th Century is good stuff though.
>>
>>7634366
The whole point of New Sincerity is that the stuff that matters to people is not Serious and Important, so I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>7634667
no, you clearly don't. you literally have no idea what the term means.
>>
>>7632259

I love V. Probably the best book I've ever read. Don't really care if Pynchon now has pleb/patrish status, /lit/ is a moody bitch.
>>
>>7634701
Illuminate me then.
>>
>>7634768
Have you read any other Pynchon? Agreed V is amazing, but it pales in comparison to GR or even Against the Day.
>>
>>7633300

And what do you know about Pynchon, memester?
>>
>>7632268
IJ is dogshit.
>>
File: rogersterling10.gif (999 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
rogersterling10.gif
999 KB, 400x225
>>7634667

The whole "new movement" thing is everyone is tired of pomo. Pomo doesn't allow itself to be criticized, so there's no where else to go. It renders itself meaningless. And it's not that that viewpoint isn't valid, it's just that people are tired of it.

Now people are writing against pomo or trying to say they're against pomo even if they have a lot of pomo aspects (whether they are or they aren't is another discussion altogether). This thing going around (I hate the term New Sincerity, by the way) doesn't mean everything is serious and meaningful. It means some things are. Some things aren't. But "you just don't get it" isn't a good enough reason.

It's trying to be a blend of Modernism and Pomo, but I think it's more of a blend of Realism/Romanticism and Modernism. But I don't think there was much difference between Modernism and Pomo, anyway, but that, too, is another discussion altogether.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.