[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>decide to take phil 101 for the credits even though I could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1453909392306.png (50 KB, 202x235) Image search: [Google]
1453909392306.png
50 KB, 202x235
>decide to take phil 101 for the credits even though I could run circles around the typical pleb
>reading list is Hume, william James, and Descartes

Who else /101patrician/ here?
>>
My Phil101 professor recommended Sam Harris to us
>>
I just walked into the boxing class for twelve year olds and I pretty much left nobody alive.

Who else /destroysbeginners/ here?

>This is you
>>
When I took 101 I was commended for "graduate level work" and showered with A's. feels good to be patrician
>>
>>7632162
Socrates pls go
>>
>Take philosophy 101 as a freshman
>Waste 3-4 classes on some dudebro arguing that psychological egoism is totally legit

Best class I've ever taken.
>>
>>7632191
kek
>>
File: 1433639827241.jpg (151 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1433639827241.jpg
151 KB, 500x667
>>7632162
>>7632167
>>7632205
>>7632226

What's your actual major, bros? Don't tell you me waste your time with STEM plebshit?
>>
>>7632226

It depends on how you define it

If he was arguing that all behavior has its root in personal welfare, this is obviously retarded.

"Egoism" can be a moral philosophy, or it can pertain to a theory of a (human-pertinent) phenomena in which the ego plays a central role. Psychological egoism (if I am not mistaken) is like a non-normative moral philosophy. Its typical application has always been in attempting to 'explain away' the notion of morality being a notable or peculiar social behavior. As if the self-impetus to morally reason, drink water, and wipe my ass ultimately converge upon the same basic etiology.

On the other hand, the term is also used to describe the idea that the ego is like a locus or general factor to human psychology. That you cannot behave without ultimately expressing the ego. Altruism, moral consideration, or whatever else, they could not be considered "selfless" because they are necessarily expressions of the self.

t. dudebro from your class

I've read virtually nothing (but THE meme book) pertaining to egoism, so all of this post might be facile nonsense. Feel free to tell me so.
>>
>>7632668

>phenomena

phenomenon*

polite sage
>>
>>7632226
umm
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.