[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Aristotelian philosophy making a comeback as a legitimate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: CAM.jpg (624 KB, 432x648) Image search: [Google]
CAM.jpg
624 KB, 432x648
Is Aristotelian philosophy making a comeback as a legitimate worldview?
>>
>>7631914
>implying it hasn't always been.
>>
>>7631914
yeah >>7631931 is right. when the fuck didn't the world run on Aristotelianism?
>>
>>7631949
Since modern philosophers misinterpreted him.
>>
>>7631979
What did they get wrong?
>>
>>7631914
>>7631914
Big time. Essences, ground, fundamentality, even friggin hylomorphism are all becoming viable again in analytic metaphysics. It's a great time to be alive.
>>
>>7632117
What do I read to see this revival going? Journals and articles by philosophers?
>>
>>7632006
The Fedoras thought he wasn't infallible.
>>
>>7632117
Aquinas and Aristotle 4life
>>
>>7633215
Go to bed Ayn Rand.
>>
>>7633223
The fuck does Ayn Rand have to do with Aquinas? You can't just lump all the people you dislike in the same group simply because they all share the quality of not being understood by you.
>>
>>7631914
Yes, as is Scholasticism. Most major universities now have someone in their faculty who is a medieval philosophy expert.
>>
>>7633223
How is she related to those two in any way?
>>
>>7633230
>>7633239
Don't get aggy over a bit of humour lad.

"Rand acknowledged Aristotle as her greatest influence and remarked that in the history of philosophy she could only recommend "three A's"—Aristotle, Aquinas, and Ayn Rand."
>>
>>7633243
But there has been almost no influence or at least I never detected any.
>>
>>7633254
She was still "Aristotle and Aquinas 4 life"
>>
>>7633259
But how and where? They share nothing in common with her as far as I'm aware
>>
>>7633260
http://rebirthofreason.com/Articles/Younkins/Aristotle_Ayn_Rands_Acknowledged_Teacher.shtml
>>
"... Philosophy no longer has the particular form and aspect possessed by that of Plato and of Aristotle. We cannot rest content with them, and they cannot be revived; hence there can be no Platonists, Aristotelians, Stoics, or Epicureans today. To re—awaken them would be to try to bring back to an earlier stage the Mind of a deeper culture and self—penetration. But this cannot be the case; it would be an impossibility and as great a folly as were a man to wish to expend his energies in attaining the standpoint of the youth, the youth in endeavoring to be the boy or child again; whereas the man, the youth, and the child, are all one and the same individual.
>>
>>7633254
She was into virtue ethics and empiricism, which is Aristotle in a nutshell.

That's why all her capitalist protags are benevolent superheroes.
>>
>>7633338
Thank God -quoted hotshit- thinks for me.
>>
>>7633403
Her version of virtue ethics is not very Aristotelian.
>>
File: alasdair_maclntyre.jpg (134 KB, 810x685) Image search: [Google]
alasdair_maclntyre.jpg
134 KB, 810x685
Nietzsche or Aristotle?
>>
>>7631914
If by making a comeback you mean has been very relevant to philosophy for at least the last hundred years, then yes.
>>
>>7633672
Aristotle my man. I think the early existentialists realised there was something very wrong about the way ethics was being done in the west but their very self minded approaches weren't the solution. I think of Nietzsche and Kierkegaard as being proto-modern virtue ethicists.
>>
No, certainly not in a world where people have completely lost faith in 'flawless' systems and are constantly confronted with crises and failures in systems that we're told are supposed to make the world a better place.

Also, the idea of the clockwork universe has been dead for more than a century. Reviving the idea will simply confront you with the same problems that mathematicians in the 18th century were confronted with, namely this slowly growing gap between model and reality, until a massive crash happens and our models are exposed for what they are, fatally simplified versions of reality
>>
>>7633243

>philosopher commending his or her own works, even in the lofty context of the history of philosophy

Jesus
>>
>>7633952
Nietzsche unknowingly points us to Aristotle.

The discourse of our current political landscape is formed by a post-Nietzschean attitude towards the enlightenment without fully abandoning the enlightenment.

When you have Nietzsche's skepticism and still think in modernist/enlightenment terms, you will get Emotivist culture such as SJWs.

Aristotle is the best philosopher to go beyond post-Nietzschean relativism.
>>
>>7634012
Reddit is literally retarded.

Fuck off, dumbass.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.