[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite Lovecraft story /lit/? Mine has got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 16
File: lovecraft-portrait.jpg (420 KB, 975x1224) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft-portrait.jpg
420 KB, 975x1224
What's your favorite Lovecraft story /lit/?

Mine has got to be The Whisperer in Darkness, it wove together his influences and own creativity perfectly. This story is definitely one of his more original ones, showcasing his strengths. Another reason I enjoyed it may of been because this was the only Lovecraft story to genuinely unnerve me since reading The Colour Out of Space. His stories are always frightening for their implications, but the actual suspense and paranoia in this story is very much horrifying on it's own, rather than heavily relying on his broader themes.
>>
Also worth noting, my favorite before this was The Dunwich Horror, which is still great. Lovecraft's stories set in rural environments aren't as common but still distinct.
>>
>>7631292
Liked the suspense in The Haunter in the Dark. It also takes place in the city I was born in.
>>
erich zann brah
>>
>>7631321
That one was spooky as shit
>>
>>7631292
The Doom that came to Sarnath
>>
>>7631292
shadow over innsmouth, rats in the walls, horror at red hook, dreams in the witchhouse, under the pyramids, at the mountains of madness, dream quest of unknown kadath
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 404x507) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 404x507
Whisperer. The bug people, the transferal of consciousness into machines, the corpse puppet, hot damn. The only annoying part is that they just flap away into space, that's just dumb... Unless Pynchon is right and it is ether.

Rats and The Call of Cthulhu were excellent too.
>>
>>7631952
They weren't bugs, they were crustacean/fungus
>>
File: image.jpg (339 KB, 726x874) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
339 KB, 726x874
>>7631965
They also weren't people... what's your point?

Clearly they are bug people.
>>
File: image.jpg (443 KB, 2554x1796) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
443 KB, 2554x1796
>>7631984
Interesting depiction in pic related. God damn that story is fucking creepy.
>>
File: image.jpg (166 KB, 885x1018) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166 KB, 885x1018
>>7631992
>>
File: Carmen-Cianelli.png (440 KB, 800x782) Image search: [Google]
Carmen-Cianelli.png
440 KB, 800x782
>>7631992
Lovecraft fan art is the best
>>
File: image.jpg (212 KB, 600x741) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212 KB, 600x741
>>7631994
>>
File: 51560964_p2_master1200.jpg (538 KB, 480x677) Image search: [Google]
51560964_p2_master1200.jpg
538 KB, 480x677
>>
File: Mi-go.jpg (555 KB, 2094x1680) Image search: [Google]
Mi-go.jpg
555 KB, 2094x1680
>>
>>
>>7632011
That's uh not quite how I pictured them. Apparently there's a movie.
>>
File: migo_by_borjapindado-d6gb4no.jpg (92 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
migo_by_borjapindado-d6gb4no.jpg
92 KB, 700x700
>>
>>7632039
What story is that one from?

Also... Is there a lighthouse story?
>>
>>7631329

yee
>>
ITT: Nightmare fuel
>>
I agree about Whisperer. I also thought it was great how the Mi-Go were able to plausibly appeal to one's open-mindedness. The Shadow Over Innsmouth had the same thing going on, to some extent.

I loved all the implications in The Thing on the Doorstep. That story and Charles Dexter Ward make it clear Lovecraft could have produced some great longer works of he had lived longer.
>>
>>7631292
The cats of ulthar and The other gods.
>>
>>7631292
Whisperer is a good choice.
I always found Lovecraft's collaborations to be some of his best. Especially the Curse of Yig.
>>
I like Music of Erich Zann for short pieces, Shadow over Innsmouth for longer stuff.
Also what was the one about the house in Kingsport on the edge of a cliff a guy lives in? I can't for the life of me remember its name but it was weird as shit.
>>
File: hey.gif (492 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
hey.gif
492 KB, 300x225
>>7631292
>reading whisperer
>"Last night among the gunfire, I hear voices. They were talking to me."
>mfw
>>
>>7632693
The Strange High House in the Mist. Very comfy.
>>
>>7632699
IIRC he was firing a bolt action rifle, so it probably wasn't exactly D-Day out there.
>>
My favorite always has actually been the prose piece Nyarlathotep, just because I really love the implication of one of these horrible monstrosities that's actively fucking with humanity instead of just waiting to be stumbled upon.

I'm still a little bit of a scrub when it comes to Lovecraft. Are there any essential stories featuring Nyarlathotep?
>>
>>7632868
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

there's there's a lot of others that I don't remember

google it
>>
Old Bugs
>>
File: lore threads.png (37 KB, 853x625) Image search: [Google]
lore threads.png
37 KB, 853x625
I was reading Claw of the Conciliator and there's a scene where Severian was lying on his back, observing the night sky. Gene Wolfe started a nice paragraph about how the void of space makes a person lose his grip on terra firma and I was enjoying it until I envisioned a tentacle faggot claiming that passage was 'Lovecraftian'.

I think Lovecraft threads are worse than Tao Lin because the fanbase is genuinely retarded, not a simple case of shilling. Lovecraft is the Undertale of /lit/.
>>
>>7633371
Is this supposed to be funny? You slamming lovecraft and talking up gene wolfe?
They certainly write the same tier of fiction seems like you've been "epic memed" attempting to please the lit hivemind.
>>
>>7633377
Wolfe is better than Lovecraft in just about every respect.
>>
File: fashion-school-reviews-1[1].jpg (23 KB, 369x252) Image search: [Google]
fashion-school-reviews-1[1].jpg
23 KB, 369x252
>>7633486
>>
>The Colour Out of Space
Good choice. It's just so good, I really think it's his best short story
>>
>>7633657
It's a fact. He was a better stylist, had complex characters, was deeper thematically.
>>
> tfw enjoy almost all of them to the extent where I can't pick a favourite

You guys understand, r-right??
>>
File: germanstare.gif (2 MB, 334x220) Image search: [Google]
germanstare.gif
2 MB, 334x220
>>7632861
i'll give that one a read then i'll get back how i feel later today
>>
>>7633371
>>7633377
>>7633486
>>7633657
Keep shitposting to a minimum, thanks
>>
>>7632861
ok i went ahead and read it, i thought the ending was comfy the way it went back to that dreamy paragraph.
seemed to me was a reference about some other gods (predating the elders) that are usurping the brightness and imagintiveness and expeditionary mentality of red blooded young men through the flush door at the vertiginous peak of this geologic anomaly.
>>
>>7635248
I guess that's one way of looking at it. Another possibility is that the protagonist (and later, others) find a way to leave the grinding womanly bullshit of the waking world behind, finding fulfillment in dreams realer than reality. It wasn't like the sleepy New England village was exactly providing an outlet for the vigor and intellect of its young men, was it?
>>
>>7636001
that's interesting very good. the dream could also be a drug reference, actually i think a lot of his stuff is either related to indirectly related to drug use.

ive read: Alchemist, At the Mountains of Madness, Azathoth, Beast in the Cave, Call of Cthulhu, Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Celephaïs, Colour out of Space, Dagon, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, Dreams in the Witch House, Dunwich Horror, Herbert West Reanimator, History of the Necronomicon, Horror at Red Hook, Hypnos, Ibid, Music of Erich Zann, Other Gods, Outsider (1921) Pickman’s Model, Picture in the House, Quest of Iranon, Rats in the Walls, Shadow out of Time, Shadow over Innsmouth, Silver Key, Temple, Tomb, Under the Pyramids, Whisperer in Darkness

did you like any of those?

i preferred: rats in the walls, shadow over innsmouth, horror at red hook, dreams in the witchhouse, under the pyramids, at the mountains of madness, dream quest of unknown kadath
>>
I hate to say it, but as of right now re-animator. I plan on rereading them all soon but thats my top spot. After that At the mountains of madness.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.