[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just finished pic related, what does /lit/ think of it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
So I just finished pic related, what does /lit/ think of it? Honestly, I'd say I liked it over all. The colloquial writing style was a bit of a pain but I'm glad I stuck it out. It became really rewarding to read through and realise that the protagonist was having a mental breakdown. I think I enjoyed it so much because I've been in a similar scenario. I would have liked to see the relationship between Holden and Mr. Antollini explored further though, I feel like that was the beginning of some interesting thoughts on sexual abuse and betrayal of trust that never got fully explored.
>>
What's with this whiny entitled kid? His life isn't THAT bad, he's rich and privileged and just wanders around complaining. He's not deep at all.
>>
I keep finding myself saying "Jesus Christ, dude, shut up.". Holden is such an annoying whiny brat
>>
>>7631271
>>7631280
3 posts. 2 IDs.

Stop forcing this shitty meme
>>
>>7631271
>>7631280
it's so easy to tell when someone is from r/books
>>
I heavily dislike the novel because Caulfield is not very relateable. At all. I showed many of the same behaviours of being misanthropic and bitching about the world, but I did it because I really had reasons to. He does it just for the sake of being an annoying fuck. I personally do not think Salinger did a good job at all writing from the teenage perspective. Because none of my friends can relate to Caulfield.
>>
What's the deal with Post WWII America? The novel
>>
>>7631271
He fell into depression after his brother died of leukaemia
>>7631284
Ha. Samefags getting called out.
>>
>>7631190
shit sux.
better than pynchwall
>>
File: 1445718261161.png (220 KB, 347x440) Image search: [Google]
1445718261161.png
220 KB, 347x440
>The "I have to like the main character to think a book is good" meme
>>
>>7631271
>>7631280
>>7631288
Have the people that claim Caulfield has no reason to be a whiny bitch just not read the book? His little brother dies of cancer and it sends him into a depression which he doesn't recover from. His mother becomes a nervous wreck and he can't stick in school to save his life. The book ends with him in a mental hospital.
>>
I'm glad it didn't go into the sexual abuse aspect more. It wouldn't have made sense for Holden to want to talk about it. The way he reacts to Mr. Antollini, and him only alluding to past assaults are pretty telling about how it's effected him.
I also just finished it and loved it.
>>
>>7631312
So you think it happened to him in the past? He alludes to men "getting pervy" but I wasn't sure what he actually meant by that. By the end of the book I hadn't made my mind up if Antollini was actually a predator or if Holden was overreacting due to the fact he was having a breakdown.
>>
>>7631312
>he was molested meme

Stop this shit.
>>
>>7631325
Please go to reddit or /tv/ if you're just going to call everything you disagree with a meme.
>>
>>7631325
>When something perverty like that happens, I start sweating like a bastard. That kind of stuff's happened to me about twenty times since I was a kid
uh-huh
>>
>14 posts
>8 IDs

>'Holden was molested' meme
>'why is he so whiny' meme

This joke got stale 5 years ago
>>
>>7631271
>>7631288
I'm seriously doubtfully you two have read the book, or if you have it's been years and you don't remember important information. I could understand you being annoyed, but saying that he's just entitled and doesn't have a reason to be that way is wrong.
>>
>>7631337
He's unwilling or unable to respond to the genuine affection that the old guy has for him. He doesn't want to confront the demons that are haunting him, doesn't want to show vulnerability, or he's just unable too because it would be too painful.
>>
>>7631353
Not saying he was molested by Antollini you dolt.
>>
>>7631353
>>7631358
I think it's deliberately left up to the reader's interpretation as to whether he was molested or just so emotionally shut off that he assumes sexual intent as a defence mechanism.
>>
>>7631358
If you think he's referring to being sexually molested, then you're an idiot.

I bet you think he molested Phoebe too, right? Another epic meme
>>
>>7631362
>I bet you think he molested Phoebe too, right?
Are there people that actually believe this?
>>
>>7631325
>implying
>>7631320
>>7631337
>When something perverty like that happens, I start sweating like a bastard.
The fact that he knows how he reacts in those situations, I took to mean that it's clearly happened before, even if the "20 times" part is an exaggeration.
Also, doesn't he say that Mr. Antollini "forgot" to give him pajamas, so he had to sleep in his underwear?
>>
>>7631365
It's a /lit/ meme like the whiny stuff and sexual molestation by Antollini
>>
>>7631366
He also says
>Goodnight, handsome
To Caulfield as he turns in for the night
>>7631368
the whining is more of a reddit meme
>>
>>7631368
literally fucking NO ONE in this thread has said antollini molested him you fucking idiot, you have literally missed the point as 3 or 4 different people have tried explaining it

god I hate this board, fuck off
>>
>28 posters
>8 IDs

wow
>>
>>7631386
it's almost like people are trying to have an actual discussion instead of just posting dated memes
>>
>>7631405
Holden molested Phoebe because he was a whiny sexual abuse victim himself. He's just so whiny about it. These aren't memes
>>
One of my favorite parts of Catcher is when
Holden is talking to, or rather fighting with Stradlater about Jane. Do you guys think he got sexy with her?
>>
Did he end up in a sanitarium? The only thing I remember suggesting it is him saying he is in a ward or something at the end
>>
>>7632105
Yeah, that's where he's telling the story from. I think he says it's somewhere out west, and he talks about D.B. visiting him, so I assume its in California.
>>
>>7631410
Holden didn't molest Phoebe
>>
>>7631190
Outstanding piece of literature; Holden may not be likable or relatable to some readers, but I consider him one of the most interesting characters in 20th century lit.
Many on this board dislike it because they think any novel that isn't Finnegan's Wake is below them.
>>
>>7631190
literally
his
worst
book
>>
>>7631288
>relatability as a criterion for the quality of a book
>>
>>7631365
Of course he did. viz. http://postflaviana.org/a-pedophile-fantasy-in-the-rye/
You show your fignewtonness by doubting this senpai. There was such a long thread proving it extensively. C'mon man. Think it through man, and don't just dismiss it because it's 'a meme,' you internet-obsessed faggot.
>>
the book was shit. The beginning and end was decent, everything between was pleb prose.
>>
>>7632097
Of course, that's why he mentions the whole car-date deal. Stradlater fucked her or somthing in the car
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.