[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm making a chart of books one should read to understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: beforeyoureadulysses.png (604 KB, 668x1876) Image search: [Google]
beforeyoureadulysses.png
604 KB, 668x1876
I'm making a chart of books one should read to understand the allusions and references in Ulysses.

I have seen plenty of anons asking what they should read before Ulysses, so I figured we should just make a handy chart.

Please post suggestions ITT and I will add them to the chart in a few hours.
>>
Poetry of Yeats and Blake.
>>
>>7630304
Also, The Bible obviously. Can't believe you hadn't already added that one OP.
>>
>summa
but why
>>
File: 28wnqdh.jpg.gif (1011 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
28wnqdh.jpg.gif
1011 KB, 160x160
>>7630291
>I'm making a chart of books one should read to understand the allusions and references in Ulysses.
>>
>>7630291

'Woah' is for expressing something mind-blowing;
'whoa' is for saying 'stop'.
>>
But I don't want to read Ulysses.
>>
Ditch Chamber Music and Summa.

Add The Bible

Seconding >>7630304
Yeats, Blake I think is not as crucial.

And that's honestly all you need, unless you want to include a bunch of books on Irish history.
>>
>thinking you need to read anything before Ulysses to enjoy it
>>
>Ulysses
>Homer
lolololololololololololololololololololololol fuck same mistake joyce made
>>
Definitely ditch Summa. Ain't nobody reading that and it makes the chart less believable because of that.

Also, do we need all of the Bible? I'm not sure all the references but surely someone could tell us which books are actually required. Genesis I'm sure. Maybe even just that and the New Testament would be enough?
>>
>>7630385
There are definitely some more obscure Bible references thrown in there from what I can remember. You should have read the entire Bible by now anyway, it's practically common knowledge already.
>>
Don't forget that you have to be fluent in French, Greek and Latin before you can appreciate Ulysses.
>>
>>7630334
Great reading comprehension there:

"I'm making a chart of books one should read to understand the allusions and references in Ulysses." =/= books you have to read to enjoy Ulysses.

You're on a board about literature and you can't even read, what a fucking pleb.
>>
>>7630291
So how many decades after setting out to do so do you actually open Ulysseys within your scheme?
>>
Put in some history of Ireland.
>>
File: qw14332g.jpg (42 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
qw14332g.jpg
42 KB, 500x272
>Joyce and Yeats
>good
>>
>>7630291
not the iliad?
>>
>>7630580
Yeats is anglo
>>
>>7630564
Shhh OP is trying to meme Ulysses here.You wouldn't want his fellow meme readers to do anything that's actually thorough and academic now would you?
>>
>>7630531
Fucking imbecile. If you read the chart is says to read those books before reading Ulysses.

The chart implies that for whatever reason you wish to read it, you have to read those books first.

Don't act in a condescending manner when you're a plonker.
>>
>>7630531
How about people just read the fucking thing instead of turning it into some Final Fantasy RPG experience point building flow chart bullshit. I read Ulysses like 8 years ago and didn't know shit about Hamlet or the Summa or Stephen Daedalus and all I knew about the Odyssey was what every illiterate pleb knows.

So tell me I didn't enjoy it OR (for you plebs that are bound to hate on one of the most important works of literature to date) that i couldn't comprehend it.
>>
File: 456456457.png (954 KB, 668x1876) Image search: [Google]
456456457.png
954 KB, 668x1876
Finnished
>>
>>7630643
Why isn't Plutarch's Life of Lysander on there?

That's one of the most important pre-reads for Ulysses.
>>
>>7630636
you didn't comprehend it.

and judging by your autistic posting you still don't.
>>
>>7630647
add it yourself. its a group project m9
>>
>>7630605
Don't know if you're the idiot I replied to but I'll assume so anyway because you're just as thick. You managed to not comprehend my comment as well at the OP.

Understanding (which is what the chart is about) =/= enjoying (which is what your comment accuses the chart of being about).

These are completely separate concepts. While you may find understanding all the references in Ulysses enhances your enjoyment, they are nowhere near the only enjoyable thing about the book,

People like you need to be condescended.
>>
>>7630648
sure, buddy. enjoy your flow charts and reading hierarchies courtesy of OP's /lit/.
>>
>>7630748
"I want to read Ulysses (for enjoyment)/(for understanding)/(for X reason)"

"STOP. READ THESE FIRST"

Plonker.
>>
>>7630813
nah OP is retarded but you are too.
>>
OP fuck you this is some /mu kind of thing, we can talk about the inspirations to Ulysses and how they contribute to the work, but not just name drop things for another flow chart to put in our daily chart thread. No one cares

Now who wants to talk the influence of Gower's Confessio Amantis and Shakespeare's version of Pericles and how it influenced the Shakespeare biographic theory?
>>
>>7630291
You should put in Exiles as well
>>
>>7630580
Shitting on the Irish Revivalists.

England wished they had nearly as many awesome authors in the early twentieth century.
>>
Is there a site of annotations for Ulysses like finwake does for finnegans wake?
>>
>>7630291
remove the memepictures from the top theyre not fun :(
>>
>>7630291
all this is bullshit. first shot at ulysses should be as innocent as a lamb. the blind man seeing for the first time.
>>
"unda her brella"

What did he mean by this
>>
>>7630636
fuk u man u wanna piece of me?
>>
>>7633333
nice waste of quints shitposter
>>
ARISTOTLE
>>
File: augMrVH.jpg (126 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
augMrVH.jpg
126 KB, 546x700
>>7630580
>>
>>7630636
I think one should read it first, w/o being 'tainted' so to speak with all this background knowledge, to just appreciate the prose, the very words and imagery of it as it is, and then re-read it multiple times after reading and re-reading all this supplemental material.
>>
>>7630360
How do you get this pleb?
>>
>>7633333
top kek
>>
>>7630331
>>7630304
Any Yeats in particular? Honestly I never really "got" Yeats but I'm more than willing to give it another try.
>>
>nobodies added Ovid's Metamorphoses

That's like saying Kant wasn't an influence to Schopenhauer.
>>
>>7636578
no no no before you read yeats you need to know at least milton and blake. not to say anything of the political and biographical setting you ought to be familiar with.
>>
I really wanna read Ulysses, but all these prior books, except for the Joyce ones and maybe the Greek epics, are off-putting
Would I really miss out that much if I read it without them?
>>
>>7636632
K. My question stands.
>>
>>7636637
Jesus Christ just read the fucking book. If you like it, well, if you don't, too bad. Shut up and move forward.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.