[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cambridge Latin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: cambridgelatin.jpg (45 KB, 536x800) Image search: [Google]
cambridgelatin.jpg
45 KB, 536x800
I'm out of practice and looking to brush up on my Latin. Is the Cambridge Latin Course book series decent? Looking at the "interactive" series that Cambridge listed on iTunes as well as the more traditional books elsewhere.

Looking to pair the series with Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, which is what my teachers taught from, and maybe Wheelock's Latin.
>>
>>7629994
Yes
>>
ayyyyyyy

caecilius est in horto
>>
>>7631443
kek

>>7629994
we did this shit in school and they're too notch not only for learning but the story is pretty entertaining as well

hit that shit up homie
>>
>>7631443
Grumio est coquus
>>
>>7629994
Yes they are a very handy series. go for John Taylor as well as he does excellent books on both Latin and Ancient Greek up to GCSE level
>>
>>7631446
>>7631493
Would either of you know where to snag the series for free? It's fifty bones to buy the entire interactive series on iTunes, and the traditional series isn't listed on bookz, MAM, or bibliotik. Cambridge's own site has the annoying embedded versions, but only up until unit 2.
>>
>>7633058
Also interested in this.
Where would you recommend a beginner starts?
I took only one level about a year ago, probably forgotten most of it.
>>
>>7629994
get lingua latina and a grammar reference id say, both are easily gotten on book, and just try to read a lot.
>>
Am I the only one that thought the ending was extremely grim?

You develop attachments with all these characters then BAM! Vesuvius explodes they're all dead lololololololol
>>
I used Cambridge and hated it. The stories are nice enough (not infrequent typos, though, mostly misplaced macrons that can be confusing to newbies), but they don't explain ANYTHING.

The example I always give, which maybe is too particular to me, is that I needed the future perfect explained to me by my teacher the first time I encountered it. For some weird reason I couldn't jigger my mind to properly picture "something will have happened before something else happens in the future." The book gives no explanation at all. It doesn't give a diagram of temporal aspects of verbs. It's so weird.

If you're just out of practice, use Shelmerdine or Wheelock. Stay the fuck away from Lingua Latina, it's a worthless meme.
>>
>>7633556
Clemens lives tho right?
>>
>>7633129
*on line
>>
>>7633993
What if I just want to start, what should I try?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.