[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good books with a schizoid protagonist? Characteristics:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: bookofsiquiet.jpg (36 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
bookofsiquiet.jpg
36 KB, 267x400
What are some good books with a schizoid protagonist?

Characteristics:

1. Emotional coldness, detachment or reduced affect.
2. Limited capacity to express either positive or negative emotions towards others.
3. Consistent preference for solitary activities.
4. Very few, if any, close friends or relationships, and a lack of desire for such.
5. Indifference to either praise or criticism.
6. Little interest in having sexual experiences with another person (taking age into account).
7. Taking pleasure in few, if any, activities.
8. Indifference to social norms and conventions.
9. Preoccupation with fantasy and introspection.
>>
Call me a philistine, but Henry Chinaski seems to fit that M.O.

I recommend Post Office or Factotum by Bukowski to start.
>>
just browse /lit/
>>
>>7629814
I won't call you a philistine but it is obvious that you're pretty poorly read if that's your instinctive suggestion. He drinks a lot and goes wild a lot of the time, expressed himself in ways that are often very emotive, enjoys dog racing and penetrative sexual intercourse, and so on.
>>
Could we make this a mentally ill protagonist thread? I really want to read some more literature with seriously mentally ill people. Stuff like psychopathy, schizophrenia, clinical depression or bipolar or BPD or Narcissism. Any suggestions?
>>
>>7629858
Fiction or nonfiction? I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey for fiction. For nonfiction The Flock by Joanne Casey (dissociative identity disorder) or January First by Michael Schofield (childhood schizophrenia)
>>
The Double by Dostoevsky
>>
Try "The Demons" by Dostoevsky, Nikolai Stavrogin is the one you are looking for.
>>
Hermann Ungar- The Maimed has an anxious, OCD protagonist.
>>
Bartleby the Scrivner
>>
>>7629941

Definitely not schizoid. He is very, very sensitive to criticism.
>>
>>7629810
if it wasn't for the "little interest in having sex" bit, I'd say Bret Easton Ellis' body of work, especially (obligatory) American Psycho, which depicts a schizophrenic break.

same goes for Burroughs, who loved buttsex, but who had to have been on the schizo spectrum for his autistic symbolism referring to invisible conspiracies.

Operators and Things is not a particularly well-written book, and it is hard to believe it is even an authentic autobiographical account for its organized structure and genre-tier writing. however, it gets more readable about halfway through, and its description of schizophrenic conspiracies taking place behind the veil of reality, as with Burroughs', is too complex and esoteric not to be believed imo.
>>
>>7629820
Underrated
>>
Quiet reading.. Yes, please give more!
>>
My diary t b h
>>
>>7629858
Well I don't know if it fits for certain in your categories, but Hunger by Knut Hamsun - first person narrative of an aspiring writer/essayist describing every bit of desire that shakes him loose, some burning cold stuff
>>
>>7629810
5th doesn't depend on being schizo, many of them could be really sensitive and furiously protect their point of honor. 6th and 7th are just plain wrong: they value their natural instincts very high and many schizos have lots of hobbies, albeit often weird. If you want to look at a real shizo, read Steppenwolf by Hesse, or The Brothers Karamazov for Ivan. I think you were asking for a more depressive character.
>>
>>7630332
activities =/= hobbies

Lonely and inexpressive people who enjoy rockclimbing (an activity) are just failed normies.
>>
>>7630332
schizoid, not schizo
>>
>>7630158
>>
>>7629810
American psycho
>>
The Stranger - Albert Camus

Though it's a bit...incorrect to call Meursault a Schizoid. He exhibits those traits but even saying that about him actually seems to contradict with the entire notion of the book
>>
>>7629810

Someone please please please recommend or suggest to me which english translation I should go for the book of disquiet.
>>
>>7631583
anyone?
>>
ITT: people who think Schizoid = Schizophrenic
>>
I am John von Dorf for schizoid, not schizo though
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.