[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>“Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?” Should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 200x307) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 200x307
>“Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?”

Should I read the book before the movie comes out?
>>
>>7629796
The Lobstrosities scared the shit out of me when I read this being 12 in the 80s.
>>
There's going to be a movie?

>>7629931
To be fair, they were more or less the closest thing that came to taking Roland down.
>>
>>7629796
I think it would've worked better as a video game. But yes, read the book.
>>
>>7629827
>starring Idris Elba as Roland
>>
>>7629931
>tfw I forgot they were called Lobstrosities
lmao

they were pretty scary though, and King deserves some credit for that. S.K. is my favorite author that nobody/everybody likes.
>>
>>7630025
My dad's the reason I started reading the King. He owns over forty of his novels and when I asked about them as a kid, he handed me "Eyes of the Dragon". I fell in love.
>>
>>7630087
same tbf. King is dad-lit, but as a writer he is competent as fuck. as a person too he is just a real-ass dude, would have a coffee with.
>>
Nah, Stephen King is an amateur
>>
>>7630136
You got us there, bro. Let me suck your dick.
>>
I first read the first three Dark Tower books ten years ago. Got sidetracked by some other cool books, but I recently started again. I'm now going to read it with a few other novels in between. I've read DT1 and DT2, currently reading the Stand, then I'll do The Eyes of the Dragon, The Talisman, DT3 and 4, Salem's Lot, The Mist, It, Insomnia, The Little Sisters of Eluria, Hearts in Atlantis, Black House, DT8, DT5, DT6, DT7.

I quite enjoyed DT1 and DT2 and am really digging The Stand right now.
>>
Let's have a Pleb King thread

What are your favorite novels of his?
>>
>>7629796
Just read the Browning poem instead
>>
>>7630404
I only read Dark Tower and The Stand.
And 11/22/1963 and The Shining.

I feel like I read something else, but I'm forge, oh yeah, Pet Semetary. Maybe there was still one other I read.
>>
>>7630428
How is 11/22/1963? I'm not American, do I need to know anything about that Kennedy guy or does the book tell you?
>>
>>7630428
Disregard that, I didn't read Pet Semetary, I read Salem's Lot.
It was pretty weak though, I just wanted the backstory on Father Callahan.

>>7630436
Not really, the book tells you a lot. It tells you all the surface stuff, the only way prior knowledge will aid you is if you read up on the event and aftermath and whatnot in depth, so you can get the smaller references.
>>
>>7629796
I tried reading this for the first time when I was 18.
I considered it absolute garbage, a travesty of shit.
Don't read it OP, don't watch the movie.
>>
>>7630518
I'm sure eighteen year-old you was an exemplary judge of literature.

>>7630404
The Gunslinger, Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand, Firestarter, Cell, Misery
>>
the big bad guy uses sneeks(?, those magic balls from harry potter) as weapons.

i think dr doom is in it too.

and stephen king is a major character.

it totally turns to shit after 5, maybe 4. whenever stephen king got in a car crash.
>>
>>7629796
>muh feelings
>muh red father
>muh white father
>my heritage
>got btfo by Oy
I hated this faggot
>>
>>7632150

>btfo by Oy

I thought I remember it being the other way around
>>
>>7630404

Drawing of the Three and Wasteland are GOAT DT books.

Reading IT for the first time right now and it may be my new favorite King book
>>
File: 1449345355431.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1449345355431.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>7632218
>it may be my new favorite King book

Wait till you get to about page 800 in the sewers, you'll really love it then
>>
>>7632297
kek
>>
>>7629931
>12
>80's
Jesus Christ.
How autistic are you to be on 4chan at your age?
>>
>>7632418
How new are you?
>>
>>7632548
How many years ago was 2004?
>>
>>7629796
no, neither read the book nor watch the movie.
King is pleb tier
>>
>>7632623
You're pleb-tier.
>>
I'm forty-four. Been on 4chan for a long time, kiddos.

Lisey's Story is probably my favorite. I've read all his stuff. The Bazaar Of Bad Dreams is pretty good. btw, Salem's Lot is excellent because it's one of his few early efforts that holds up well. It's creepy af.

Tommyknockers was shit. Desperation was shit. Everything else is readable to excellent. Different Seasons is the book from which The Shawkshank Redemption, Apt Pupil and Stand By Me came from btw.
>>
>>7633335
>I'm forty-four. Been on 4chan for a long time,
This is not something to be proud of. Go & look in a mirror grandad.
>>
File: 1453076189504.jpg (282 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
1453076189504.jpg
282 KB, 576x864
>>7633351
I didn't say I was proud of it. How you took that from my post is beyond me. Are you always that passive-aggressive? Do you realize anyone with a connection to the internet can use it, right?

Or keep being a jackass. You're so cool.

I sometimes read comic books, too.
>>
I read the first 3 or 4 books, but the whole thing went downhill fast at the end of the first (or was it the beginning of the second) with the lobstrosities. The fact that a few lobsters almost did in a badass who mercilessly killed dozens days before was ridiculous and not believable

Also the killer train was dumb and fuck that book that was entirely a flashback
>>
>>7629796
It's terribly written. King doesn't write great litterature at the best of times, but his fast pacing and really vivid imagination usually makes up for it in making his books fast and enjoyable to read. In Dark Tower However he specifically went for writing something ridiculously long. I only managed to read the first book, and it was a waste of time. Humdreds of pages of nothing, boing action scenes and poor dialouge.
>>
>>7632418
>eww he doesn't conform to my expectations of his age group.

You don't suddenly switch to old man mode when you turn 30 or 40, if ever. I also still play Board and Tabletop Games, which is why I frequent /tg/ as well. If you're seriously planning to drop all the fun stuff you do in a couple of years because you think that's what society expects of you, you're a boring person and I pity you.
>>
>>7630436
the premise is a school teacher goes back in time in Stephen King fashion, via a time portal in a diner's pantry, most of the book is filler since he can only time travel 8years before the assassination, each time travel repeats itself each time, arriving at specific location at the same time all the time, Beverly marsh and Richie make a cameo, since our character travels to Derry
>>
>>7630417
My first thought was, he lied in every word,
That hoary cripple, with malicious eye
Askance to watch the working of his lie
On mine, and mouth scarce able to afford
Suppression of the glee, that pursed and scored
Its edge, at one more victim gained thereby.

II.

What else should he be set for, with his staff?
What, save to waylay with his lies, ensnare
All travellers who might find him posted there,
And ask the road? I guessed what skull-like laugh
Would break, what crutch 'gin write my epitaph
For pastime in the dusty thoroughfare,

III.

If at his counsel I should turn aside
Into that ominous tract which, all agree,
Hides the Dark Tower. Yet acquiescingly
I did turn as he pointed: neither pride
Nor hope rekindling at the end descried,
So much as gladness that some end might be.

>>
>>7630087
>>7630102
>>7630102
THIS

except me Ma.. I have an original first print copy of Eyes of the Dragon and every book by SK, more her library than mine, but SK was my first passion when I started reading as a child

>Idris Elba
this is going to completely ruin every instance of casual racism made against Susannah in the books, and unnecessarily complicate the original story
great fucking job everyone, way to Equal those Rights
>>
>>7631824
THIS ALSO

SK went completely overboard bananas after the car wreck, and his objectivity went right out the fuckin window

I read 5-8, but I didn't enjoy them like I enjoyed 1-4 ;_;

although to be fair, have you ever been hit by a car??
it hurts.. A LOT
so his response may have seemed fair and measured from his perspective
>>
>>7629796
Do you think Dark Tower series is good enough to read it in source language?

What I mean is, I want something light to read now and then and Sk seems like a good choice (I read Carrie it was enjoyable). But his books in English is more expensive than translations in my country (basically I can buy 3 translations with the price of 1 in English). Does Sk's language warrant the extra cash? I almost always buy originals but I don't know if it's worth it in Sk's case.
>>
>>7633565

SK is not worth buying in the English, nothing would be lost.
>>
>>7633552
Yeah, I have no clue how they're going to make it work at all if Roland is black
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.