[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm like 40 pages into this and I don't think a book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 258x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 258x400
I'm like 40 pages into this and I don't think a book has ever made me feel this giddy and happy
>>
>>7629589
Tell that to your
diary
senpai
>>
>>7629589
that's how i felt when i started reading Ulysses.
>>
>>7629595
Put a quarter in the
grumpy jar
senpai
>>
>>7629589
Are there any car chases?
>>
>>7629612
only if you throw it out the window in front of a /lit/ poster
>>
>>7629616
Not really, the book is pretty seldom talked-about/praised here. It's a criminally underrated introduction to Joyce
>>
>>7629622
A couple years ago it was being spammed quite a lot, but ye ur right, it hasn't seen a lot of action lately. It is Joyce tho
>>
File: 1445718332088.png (192 KB, 460x465) Image search: [Google]
1445718332088.png
192 KB, 460x465
I know that precise feel, m80.
Half-way through at the moment and loving it.

I find the young Dedalus' relationship with Catholicism particularly interesting as I struggled with, and eventually abandoned, the faith in my mid-to-late teens, but now find myself with a covert yearning for some of its aspects.

Particularly love the passage in which Stephen dreams about Mercedes, and the other where he spills his spaghetti on the tram, returning from a birthday party with a girl.
>>
>>7629589
Why? Elaborate please.
>>
>>7629678
His prose is so light-hearted and silly and pretty even when the story is sad, and he uses cute little Irish baby-talk words and he describes certain things from my childhood so vividly that I fully remember them again
>>
>>7629681
Ah sounds comfy. Thanks.
>>
>>7629693
np, baby tuckoo
>>
>>7629681
I also loved the first 50 pages or so, and I sincerely hope you enjoy the rest of the book, but the style changes pretty drastically as Dedalus grows up. Whether or not you think that's a good thing, the first chapter is definitely the only charming bit about the book.
>>
>>7630957
I'll be ready for it, I didn't think that style could really support an entire novel anyways
>>
>>7630962
I think one of the best parts of the book is how Joyce's tone changes as Stephen's ideas do.

That said, the parts of the book set in Clongowes were definitely my favourite.
>>
>>7629589
The ending is so boring and shitty though.

Went from 5/5 to 4/5 because of it.
>>
>>7629589
So I picked up a cheap second hand copy of this and dubliners today, which should I read first and why?
>>
>>7631037
Dubliners, duh
>>
Is Stephen the übermensch?
>>
>>7631037
dubliner is a collection meant to be read as a whole you mongrel read the whole thing beginning to end
>>
Started but never finished. May just do that now, op.
>>
Yeah it starts out all nice and smooth pace but call me when you have to trudge through the description of Catholic hell
>>
>>7632153
>Unbelievable, giddy happiness that naturally transitions to purposely tortuous descriptions of hell in the same, short book.
I wish Joyce would give me syphilis desu.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.