[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you don't want to read a blogpost, please skip to the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 100writing3.jpg (29 KB, 500x311) Image search: [Google]
100writing3.jpg
29 KB, 500x311
If you don't want to read a blogpost, please skip to the last paragraph.

I use to be really creative when I was younger and a somewhat talented author for my age who always enjoyed writing stories. I even won a fairly decent short story award and got to read my story to a bunch of commercially successful authors.
I stopped writing when I became a rebellious teenage, transferred my creative talents to doing graffiti and developed an addiction to marijuana at a fairly young age. By the time I was 18 I was close to suicide with many bridges burnt, no friends and slight brain damage and temporary psychosis from excessive drug use. I didn't do much at all for a few years but eventually got back into the world and regained a lot of my lost cognitive abilities. I am doing fairly well in most respects now but my creativity remains blocked. I can feel it is still there but I don't know how to get at it.

I want to start writing again but for some reason that is not as easy as it sounds. How do I get my creative juices flowing? How do I utilise my urge to start writing into something tangible? What am I missing?
>>
Sometimes it is just the lacking of urgency.
>>
>>7629522
write something, or take something you've already written, and rewrite it from the beginning. do it again and again and again until it's absolutely perfected. practice the act of writing, rather than the creation of ideas. if you have the tool of writing accurately honed, when an idea does finally come to you, you will be prepared, and not miss out when you're finally ready to write something on your mind.
>>
>addiction to marijuana

Anyway, if you want to write just start writing. Daily, regardless of whether you feel like it or not. If you don't have any ideas for stories, just sketch a scene or write some random thoughts.

Practice is the key.
>>
>>7629534
That is definitely a problem, I can write a great scientific essay for uni when I have a deadline.
>>7629538
This is probably a good idea, when I am focusing on the creative side of things I tend to get not much done and might spend an hour on a single sentence.
>>
>>7629548
Yes, I absolutely had an addiction and it absolutely fucked up my life and brain hard.

But yeah I will definitely try that I think.
>>
>>7629774
your needs have been addressed, and your ticket has been filled. if you have any complaints, please call our customer service hotline.
>>
>>7629778
Suck a dick, kind Sir.
>>
>>7629788
okay, then ignore the simple and concise advice that has been given you. you don't want a solution to your problem, you want someone to agree with your predispositions, and don't want to do the work and put in the effort it takes to be a writer. why would any of us waste time helping you if you're not even going to do anything when we do?
>>
>>7629790
I have already taken their advice on board but I would ideally like the conversation to go on, I am sorry if that offends you.
>>
>>7629522
Ideas don't come to you when you're looking for them. The best advice I can give you is to go do anything else: take a walk, go swimming, watch conspiracy theorists on youtube, perfect your Butthead imitation, go people-watching, anything. Get the seed for an idea somewhere, and ruminate over it until it's good. Generally I found that to get new ideas the best thing is to go be exposed to new information, and you can get that pretty much everywhere as long as it's not someplace you've already looked.
>>
>>7629794
there is no conversation. practice writing. that's it. you're missing practice. you utilise your urge to start writing into something tangible by practicing. you get your creative juices flowing by practice.

that's it. it's not offensive, it's just stupid.
>>
>>7629522
The writing part of your brain is like a muscle. It grows in strength with use. easing into the groove becomes easier, ideas flow, breakthroughs keep happening.

To get back into the swing, read some books on writing.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.