[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Contrarian opinion thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (429 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
image.png
429 KB, 550x413
Contrarian opinion thread
>>
No.
>>
I think books with female protagonists are more interesting than books with male protagonists because females are more interesting than males.
>>
OP is straight
>>
I think Kafka's weakest work is the trial
>>
I refuse to acknowledge anything as poetry if it's not written in regular meter.
>>
>>7629351
I like your cat
>>
I don't think it's ever worthwhile to read a translation that wasn't produced by the original author.

>>7629362
Cuck
>>
>>7629362
been thinking the same thing lately
>>
>>7629373
You didn't understand it then
>>
The Stranger is a shit book. In place of actual alienation we get fashionable brooding.
>>
nothing wrong with degeneracy
>>
I don't read books written by women or with female protagonists.

I'm not even sure why.
>>
Translations are fine
Genre fiction is fine
YA is fine
Women Authors are fine
Black authors are fine
Murakami is fine
Kurt Vonnegut is fine
>>
Tolkien is underrated as a prose stylist. People say he just writes to get the information out, but I think the way he structures words and sentences is very deliberate and meant to evoke the Bible. This becomes especially clear towards the end at the Siege of Minas Tirith. It reads like Scripture.
>>
any poetry in meter sounds corny and forced to me.
>>
I enjoy me some Bukowski every now and then. I think he was good at what he set out to do.
>>
>>7629351
Pynchon is a brilliant writer.
>>
>>7629439
>alienation
>implying
You do know what the book was about, yeah?
>>
>>7629450
>YA is fine
Fuck you.
>>
Nobody who posts frequently here is going to make it.

Especially all the bookshelf snobs.
>>
I like you guys. Don't go to Borders tomorrow.
>>
Women aren't inherently inferior to men.
>>
>>7629362
"Sherlock Holmes gets to be brilliant, solitary, abrasive, Bohemian, whimsical, brave, sad, manipulative, neurotic, vain, untidy, fastidious, artistic, courteous, rude, a polymath genius. Female characters get to be Strong."
Why female protagonists can never be as interesting as male protagonists.
>>
>>7629450
I'm ashamed honestly
>>
>>7629765
>contrarian
>>
>>7629829

This doesn't even make sense
>>
I couldn't get almost anything of Gravity's Rainbow though.

And yes Tolkien prose is biblical.
>>
I think Aeschylus's Oresteia is a strong contender for the title of finest work of literature ever written. I think House of Leaves is a good novel too, and Infinite Jest is overrated.
>>
>>7629351
Communism can still work
>>
>>7629362

any books with female protags recommendations?
>>
>>7629362
>females are more interesting than males.
true, but females are just about entertainment. which says that men are pathetic.
>>
>empirically wrong opinions thread
>>
>>7629916
>implying it hasn't been working
>>
>>7629351
Gass is the best living writer.
>>
>>7629674
so then......... all poetry except walt whitman, allen gibsberg, and mira gonzalez is corny huh
>>
>>7629869

ok you've convinced me.

im willing to bet someone asks this every time but -- did you read a translation? (if so, which one)
>>
>>7629765
You've been tricked by a vocal minority of memers and contrarians here. Pynchon is still highly respected
>>
>>7629450
Yes
No
NO
Yes, but there aren't enough
Yes, but there aren't enough
>>
>>7630302
You're right.
>>
>>7630362
I know I am.
>>
>>7629674
wow
>>
Science fiction is a wonderful mode to explore abstract philosophies and political paradigms.
Just because it is genre fiction does not make it worthless to read.
The purpose of a book is to broaden the depth of a person's mind; to invoke an openness to thought, and critical nature towards policy.
Prose is worthless if there is no substance to what is being communicated.
>>
>>7629362
>I think books with female protagonists are more interesting than books with male protagonists because females are more interesting than males.

In some sense this could be true. But "interesting" isn't the best thing you could say about a book. Male protagonists are familiar, perhaps "uninteresting", but they make for many a good story.
>>
>>7630317
I managed to convince you with a statement? Ok then.
Read the original and a few translations. My Ancient Greek isn't great, but the Christopher Collard in the Oxford World Classics range is a superb translation of the actual meaning of the words with a lot of good notes, though it does not capture the music of The Oresteia. The Fagles isn't bad either.
>>
>>7629439
The stranger is not really about the social isolation of the protagonist. Read more into the inherent isolation of every human from every other human.
>>
>>7630543

This very much speaks my mind.
Lem > Nabokov
>>
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 948x719) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 948x719
Infinite Jest is a beautifully constructed clockwork of popomo.

But also, pic related sums up Wallace perfectly. Whoever made it was fucking inspired.
>>
File: 1360618520718.png (185 KB, 856x404) Image search: [Google]
1360618520718.png
185 KB, 856x404
>I don't rate nonfiction because my enjoyment is unrelated to the truth contained in its pages
>I also don't think photography is art unless the situations are simulated
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.