[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quotes that made you cry? >The return to civilization was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: breadface..gif (35 KB, 218x200) Image search: [Google]
breadface..gif
35 KB, 218x200
Quotes that made you cry?
>The return to civilization was for her the return to soma, was the possibility of lying in bed and taking holiday after holiday, without ever having to come back to a headache or fit of vomiting.
>>
File: conscientiousCat.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
conscientiousCat.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
>>7629179
I've worked hard to appreciate these little things in life. And now some jerk writer wants to belittle them. Come on.
>>
>>7629179
Why did this make you cry?
>>
"Tearing his eyes from the empty place in the sky where the sun had set, he stopped stumbling back by years and ran, vaulted through centuries.
>>
>>7629179
"Gav couldn't eat another potato skin. It didn't taste good anymore."
>>
"Mierda"

- El coronel no tienen quien le escriba, de Gabriel Garcia Marquez
>>
>>7630080
"Merdre!"

-Ubu Roi, Alfred Jarry.
>>
>>7629179
"what did he mean by this?"

- Anon
>>
>I am sleepy, and the oozy weeds about me twist
>>
>>7629179
>She was sopping wet when he entered her. “Damn you,” she said. “Damn you damn you damn you.” He sucked her nipples till she cried out half in pain and half in pleasure. Her cunt became the world.
>>
'The tears began to flow and sobs shook him. He gave himself up to them now for the first time on the island; great, shuddering spasms of grief that seemed to wrench his whole body... "

Didn't make me cry, but damn did it strike a chord.
>>
>He was too young to understand, He would not believe in love, a woman's birthright. The night of the party long ago in Stoer's ( he was still in short trousers) when they were alone and he stole an arm round her waist she went white to the very lips. He called her little one in a strangely husky voice and snatched a half kiss (the first!) but it was only the end of her nose and then he hastened from the room with a remark about refreshment. Impetuous fellow! Strength of character had never been Reggy Wylie's strong point and he who would woo and win Gerty MacDowell must be a man among men. But waiting, always waiting to be asked and it was leap year too and would soon be over. No prince charming is her beau ideal to lay a rare and wondrous love at her feet but rather a manly man with a strong quiet face who had not found his ideal, perhaps his hair slightly flecked with grey, and who would understand, take her in his sheltering arms, strain her to him in all the strength of his deep passionate nature and comfort her with a long long kiss. It would be like heaven. For such a one she yearns this balmy summer eve. With all the heart of her she longs to be his only, his affianced bride for riches for poor, in sickness in health, till death us two part, from this day to this day forward.

>tfw Joyce writes more beautiful satire than you write sincere prose
>>
>'WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?'
>>
"No expectation is more frequently disappointed, than that which naturally arises in the mind from the prospect of meeting an old friend after long separation. We expect the attraction to be revived, and the coalition to be renewed; no man considers how much alteration time has made in himself, and very few inquire what effect it has had upon others. The first hour convinces them that the pleasure, which they had formerly enjoyed, is for ever at an end; different scenes have made different impressions; the opinions of both are changed; and that similitude of manners and sentiment is lost, which confirmed them both in the approbation of themselves."

dr johnson reminding me of the feels
>>
"For You"
>>
File: 1364656875046.jpg (8 KB, 168x192) Image search: [Google]
1364656875046.jpg
8 KB, 168x192
>>7629179
>crying over a shitty YA dystopian book
>>
>>7630416
This is just bad writing
>>
>Yes.
>>
"There is a small village graveyard in one of the remote corners of Russia. Like almost all our graveyards, it presents a wretched appearance; the ditches surrounding it have long been overgrown; the grey wooden crosses lie fallen and rotting under their once painted gables; the stone slabs are all displaced, as though some one were pushing them up from behind; two or three bare trees give a scanty shade; the sheep wander unchecked among the tombs.... But among them is one untouched by man, untrampled by beast, only the birds perch upon it and sing at daybreak. An iron railing runs round it; two young fir-trees have been planted, one at each end. Yevgeny Bazarov is buried in this tomb. Often from the little village not far off, two quite feeble old people come to visit it—a husband and wife. Supporting one another, they move to it with heavy steps; they go up to the railing, fall down, and remain on their knees, and long and bitterly they weep, and yearn and intently gaze at the dumb stone, under which their son is lying; they exchange some brief word, wipe away the dust from the stone, set straight a branch of a fir-tree, and pray again, and cannot tear themselves from this place, where they seem to be nearer to their son, to their memories of him.... Can it be that their prayers, their tears are fruitless? Can it be that love, sacred, devoted love, is not all-powerful? Oh, no! However passionate, sinning, and rebellious the heart hidden in the tomb, the flowers growing over it peep serenely at us with their innocent eyes; they tell us not of eternal peace alone, of that great peace of 'indifferent' nature; tell us too of eternal reconciliation and of life without end."
>>
>>7629357
Holy fuck, hahaha. I just read that with a weeping voice.
>>
File: wylqQtZ.jpg (67 KB, 600x420) Image search: [Google]
wylqQtZ.jpg
67 KB, 600x420
>Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.

>I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few.

>Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.
>>
File: The_Fault_in_Our_Stars.jpg (43 KB, 409x600) Image search: [Google]
The_Fault_in_Our_Stars.jpg
43 KB, 409x600
"Augustus Water died eight days after his prefuneral, at Memorial, in the ICU, when the cancer, which was made of him, stopped his heart, which was also made of him."
>>
>>7632078

This is based thanks for posting desu
>>
>>7632481

Somewhere in rural mid-west America, which is west of the middle of America, which is where Cormac sits, thinking about how much he hates commas, he thinks, wow, you know what, quotations are twice as bad, because they're just a set of four upside-down commas, and there in his chair, when he realizes this, the quotations, which were made of commas, stopped his heart, which was also made of commas.

Does John "M Night for Tweens" Greene not have an editor or what?
>>
>>7632481
I don't know why but to me this reads like a shit Virginia Woolf pastiche.

>>7632506
Just to let you know I appreciate this post. Thank you.
>>
>>7632296
Is that Goebbels (the quotes, not the pic)?
>>
'in his blind grieving, his queasiness of Soul before a life and a death, his refusal to touch the Baby, tho' 'twas not possible to blame him ... The Boy he had gone to the other side of the Globe to avoid was looking at him now with nothing in his face but concern for his Father.
"Oh, Son." He shook his Head. He didn't continue.

'"It's your mate," Doctor Isaac assur'd him, "It's what happens when your mate dies."'
Mason and Dixon - Page 768
>>
>>7632481
Fuck off
>>
"Fear not that I will be the instrument of future mischief. My work is nearly complete. Neither yours nor any man's death is needed to consummate the series of my being, and accomplish that which must be done, but it requires my own."
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.