[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey lit, do you know any commonly used phrases that refer to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Broken-Record-psd53198.png (131 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
Broken-Record-psd53198.png
131 KB, 400x395
Hey lit, do you know any commonly used phrases that refer to past gone technologies like

"Stay tuned" or "roll down the window" or "hang up the phone" or "rewind the movie" ??
>>
>>7627893
Yes:
"Stay tuned", "roll down the window", "hang up the phone" and "rewind the movie".
>>
Yes - "stay down the window", "rewind the phone," "stay the movie," and "roll down the tune."
>>
>>7627893
How is “hang up the phone” a reference to a gone technology?
>>
>>7627989
Seriously?
>>
Take your cellphone (assuming you have one) and try to hang it up.

No, no! HANG IT UP.

Phones in the olden days (you're probably not old enough to remember) hung on the wall by a cord. When you wanted to end the call, you literally hung them back up on the wall like a painting.
>>
>>7627999
nice trips
>>
>>7627893
Don't touch that dial
Top/Bottom of the hour
Don't copy that floppy
Be kind, please rewind
Hit me on the hip
Drop the needle
>>
skeuomorphs!

"this music is groovy!"
>>
File: grimes-050.jpg (47 KB, 600x841) Image search: [Google]
grimes-050.jpg
47 KB, 600x841
>>7627893
"Spinning" an "lp"
>>
>>7627893
How is "stay tuned" obsolete? I can't imagine any other context than tv or radio, for which this phrase works fine even today.
>>
>>7628070
stay tuned originated from radio when the user would scan the radio-wave frequency until his crystal/tuner were "in tune" with the carrier wave.

"tuning" is not used in satellite tv waves and it of course not used in cable.

so using it for any means other than radio is obsolete.
>>
File: 1920px-Metal_movable_type.jpg (875 KB, 1920x1276) Image search: [Google]
1920px-Metal_movable_type.jpg
875 KB, 1920x1276
>>7627893
typing, typecase, etc

>>7628070
most of the (fine-)tuning is done automatically now, especially as far as television goes
saved presets n that
>>
>>7628157
In my experience noone here uses satellite tv, that os more of an american thing I suppose. And even sattelites operate on certain frequencies, so the reciever has to be calibrated or "tuned". I see your point though.
>>
"Woah man, hold the phone!"

"All that and a bag of chips!"
>>
DJ
MC
>>
Hold the line

also, online privacy.
>>
My grandma refers to the act of microwaving something as "nuking" it, I have no idea if this was widespread or not
>>
>>7627935
>>7627905
fuck you
>>
>>7629813
it's slang and not really 'old phrases which refer to outdated technologies still being used re: their effective replacements'
>>
>>7629706
T
H
I
S

T
B
H

F
A
M
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.