[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do you go if you want to read about a book? Sparknotes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1346824718141.cached.jpg (112 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1346824718141.cached.jpg
112 KB, 1200x800
Where do you go if you want to read about a book? Sparknotes is an ok read, but kinda rudimentary and lacking any serious opinions or insights. There has to be something more on this big internet.

For example, I just finished War and Peace and I feel I could read a whole other book just talking about it.
>>
academic papers/journals
>>
>>7627513
Didn't your edition have a bibliography?
>>
>>7627514
This.

Sometimes there's some good stuff on Wikiversity as well, but it depends on the book.
>>
>>7627513
>I feel I could read a whole other book just talking about it.
You could re-read the book and think about it yourself.
>>
>>7627514
How do you find those? JSTOR ?
>>
The only right answer in my opinion is to ask to a competent relative. In addition to my family, I've drawn quite a lot of relevant relations in my life, so I simply ask them their opinion on a book. My main sources are my favorite book seller, a librarian I've befriended over the years and my partner. It's really uncommon to not have a feedback on a title I'm looking for.
>>
>>7627513
a lot of times if you have a specific search / question you'll get a Google Book preview result that you can read.

if you want more then type the title of this book into libgen and download it
>>
>>7627513

if you're in uni still, look at JSTOR

or go to a uni library. at most uni libraries there tend to be more books about an author and his/her works than copies of his/her works. at mine, there's a small section for Joyce's novels, and the entire rest of the shelf is biographies and literary criticism
>>
>>7627542
So I'll have to content myself with /lit/ for now.
>>
>>7627606
This is a bad idea. /lit/ is a collection of anonyms you can't decently trust, especially when it's about having read a book. The stronger you relation with the people grow, the more you know about them, the fairness of their judgment, their honesty, the quality of their tastes, the more you can blindly believe and follow the advices they provide. The more similar concept I can think of here on /lit/ are the “tripfags” but you'll have to read them for years before having a fair opinion. Anyway, they could still lie. We don't speak enough here to clear beyond doubt any hollow message.
>>
>>7627633
That's why I said "content myself".

Unfortunately I live in a country where few people read, and on top of that I'm not good at making friends either.
>>
desu senpai
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.