[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SLOW READING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: y.jpg (5 KB, 271x186) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
5 KB, 271x186
Some of you may be acquainted with the slow reading technique - it's basically reading a book through an extended period of time, commonly a year, enjoying it, bit by bit, thinking about it constantly etc.

I've done that before with Paradise Lost and Aquinas. The results are indeed amazing.

What are the books you'd say are worth slow reading? Fiction and nonfiction.
>>
>>7626452
Anything by Aristotle, really.
>>
>>7626452
This is fantastic for Proust I'd say, but I wouldn't do it with another writer/work.
>>
>>7626452
The bible.
>>
>>7626460
I took slow reading too seriously with the Bible. I've been doing that with it my whole life.
Not disappointed.
>>
>>7626452
I'm slow reading a french book on greek mythology. Since it is not my first language, it's working both ways, I'm improving my french and learning about mythology.
>>
>>7626452
I kept the Book of Disquiet in my toilet room. That way it didn't affect my mood too much and I really looked forward to my shits for that period.
>>
>>7626489
Fuck me, I read Book of Disquiet a page/day too. Not in the toilet though.
>>
>>7626520
>>7626489

Just out of curiosity. Can a pleb like me just pick up this book and begin reading?
Or is there some recommended reading required before picking it up?
OR does it require a certain literary maturity to appreciate it (like other patrician books like infinite jest or gravity's rainbow) ?
>>
>>7626525
It's not hard, it's like prose poetry philosophy, I would suggest you get a hold on Schopenhauer's and Nietzsche's aphorisms and bigger ideas and maybe understand the existentialist movements a bit if you really wanna understand the person behind the book.
>>
read the sticky
>>
>>7626525
Absolutely. Of course you'll enjoy it even more if you know a little bit about Pessoa. Reading a few poems is enough. Book of Disquiet is unlike anything you've ever read.
>>
when i read slowly I remember a book for years
>>
>>7626543

>get a hold on Schopenhauer and Nietzsche

Man. Do you know what you just asked me to do? You just asked me to start with the greeks and work my way up to Nietzsche which will take at least a year or two. Then I can move on to Book of Disquiet.
>>
>>7626471
I reread the bible over 6 month period and restart
>>
>>7626452

I read War and Peace that way. Four years total, with one year off in the middle. Not technically slow reading, I did fasten through some sections, but battles and Pierre parts were very slow.
>>
>>7627245
Was it worth it?
>>
>>7626483
That's actually the way I learned german! Reading Hesse slower than you can possibly imagine.
>>
>>7626454
Plato too. Not his dialogues though, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable reading a dialogue for a long period of time.
>>
>>7626543
>>7627186
You do not need to do this. Just read the book. It's extremely easy.
>>
>>7627289
>It's extremely easy
They're talking about the book of disquiet, not any book. It's not the most complicated book on earth. Not extremely easy either.
>>
>>7626452
Reading normal speed, rereading things you want to >>>>>>>>. whatever this is
>>
>>7627245
Please tell me this is bait
>>
>>7626452
Currently doing this with The Aeneid

Loving the results
>>
>>7626452
I try to pace my reading anyhow. Racing through a book just to up my read count is ridiculous. Reading is a pleasurable experience so why hurry?

Kinda like sex. I take my time and enjoy it.
>>
>>7626452
this is how i've read every work of philosophy or 'literature'
>>
Never actually done it but I'm betting it'd be anderson if done with Being and Time, the Anti-Oedipus, A Thousand Plateaus or maybe the Exegesis of Philip K. Dick. May do it.
>>
I feel like I get a lot more out of literature now after Finnegans Wake absolutely destroyed my ability to read anything quickly. I'm more focused now on complete comprehension and appreciation rather than just getting the gist of what's being said and moving on.
>>
>>7627939
wow ur amayzen
>>
I've read Os Lusiadas by Camoes back when I studied portuguese literature in college. I still remember a few passages. I might do it again with some philosophy work.
>>
>>7626483
which book? i'm in the beginning stages of learning french and this sounds like a great way to further it
>>
>>7629405
The french translation of Edith Hamilton's Mythology. Pretty good one.
>>
>>7626452
>a year
then you're not slow-reading, you're not reading.
>>
>the results are amazing!

why not just admit that you like reading for pleasure in small doses instead of making up bullshit about "results" of a "technique"?
>>
>>7626452
yea man slow reading is key

i only read two words a day

gotta savor that shit
>>
I'm saving this thread. Going to print it out and savour it over a few blissful weeks.
>>
File: archiver6.jpg (35 KB, 883x507) Image search: [Google]
archiver6.jpg
35 KB, 883x507
>>7630426
>>
>>7626452
I did that with Mason and Dixon. Took about 7 months, but was a beautiful way to digest such a linguistically dense novel. For reference, I read Moby Dick in 4 weeks, Infinite Jest twice in the span of 6 months and Gravity's Rainbow in 5 weeks, but taking M&D slow was a conscious decision after I got the feel for the language and realized what kind of ride it was going to be.
>>
File: disquiet.jpg (10 KB, 180x276) Image search: [Google]
disquiet.jpg
10 KB, 180x276
>>7626489
>>7626520
>>7626543
>>7626832
>>7627289
>>7627297

Hello anons.
Thanks for the advice on The book of Disquiet.
Which translation should I go for? (since it was originally published in Portugese)

Would really appreciate the help.
>>
>>7630639
You mean english translation, I assume. I don't know, anon. I'm sorry. I read it in portuguese, and it's amazing.
>>
File: 120.gif (1 MB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
120.gif
1 MB, 250x187
>>7626452

>tfw I'm a reincarnated medieval scribe
>tfw someone puts a snail on a book and doesn't immediately run for the axe
>tfw people think that's cute

ARE YOU WORKING FOR THE ENEMY?!
>>
Oh, this is an actual concept that exists.
What the fuck
>>
>>7627277
Where did you start with Hesse doing this? I've been thinking about trying it out
>>
>>7630915
Demian, I guess it's the easiest one. Then I proceeded to Steppenwolf.
Go for it, anon.
>>
Celine's first two books...

Read death on credit first, then journey.
>>
>>7630765
are you fucking okay holy shit
>>
>>7627271
>>7627825

No bait. Had long working hours, school, and I didn't have a lot of time to read anyway, so I took it slow. Something family related came up, and I nearly gave up on it almost right in the middle. Came back to it after a year and then finished it.

Obviously It was my first time reading it. No plans for reread, but I don't think anything is getting close to topping it as my personal favourite.
>>
>>7626452
I may start slow reading the Iliad today.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.