[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do people actually respect this edgelord?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2Mzg3NTA5Nzcx.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2Mzg3NTA5Nzcx.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
Do people actually respect this edgelord?
>>
This is the problem with the younger generation. They talk out of their ass like they'd recently had chipotle pumped straight into their colon.
Go back to highschool, kid.
>>
File: HST_and_.jpg (106 KB, 405x540) Image search: [Google]
HST_and_.jpg
106 KB, 405x540
>>7626100
hey, he's a teenager. they don't get taught this at school, because, you know, school is a tool of mind control and doesn't teach you anything worth knowing - but teens learn from observing that strategically it is safer to shit on something rather than praise it. a nervous babby doesn't want to risk saying "I thought the great shark hunt was pretty funny" in case some other babby attacks him for it.

One of the things you have to deal with in this business is being
whipped on by brainless freaks and special-interest pleaders. It
never ends. On some nights they gnaw on your doorknob, and on others
they plot rotten lawsuits and fondle themselves like chimpanzees in
rooms lit by 25-watt bulbs.
- Hunter S Thompson, "Revenge of the Fish Heads"
>>
RIP Doyle
>>
>>7626056
>edgelord
Explain how he was an edgelord, please.
>>
>>7626104
He really did have a great way with words
>>
I wonder what it was like staring down the barrel of a gun knowing he had wasted his entire life cultivating such a cringeworthy meme persona
>>
>>7626749
It's well known he hated the fact that the Raoul Duke persona had started to lead a life of its own, even back in the seventies. But if he didn't cultivate it he would have been in deep financial trouble. Booze and coke don't pay for themselves you know.
>>
>>7626725
>The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
he was so edgy he thought the edge couldn't even BE explained
>>
File: 01BOOK-facebookJumbo-v4.jpg (222 KB, 1050x549) Image search: [Google]
01BOOK-facebookJumbo-v4.jpg
222 KB, 1050x549
>>7626991
kek

His son published pic related a couple of weeks ago. Tells that he was a huge self-centered insane cunt at times (literally told his son that if he had to choose between buying whiskey and cigarettes and paying his tuition, he'd buy whiskey and cigarettes). The book also offers a very honest description of his failing health and how he handled that, very interesting to read. But kind of sad.
>Hunter gradually lost the ability to sustain the necessary concentration to write, almost certainly because of the cocaine and booze. He wasn’t a binge cokehead. Hunter snorted a little bit all day, probably to balance the whiskey, but I’m sure it impaired his ability to concentrate. Then, just as he was a maintenance cocaine user, he was also a maintenance drinker, not a binger. But a fifth of whiskey a day for forty years takes its toll on the body, no matter how strong the constitution. In the last ten or so years of his life, Hunter was often sick with a variety of ailments, sometimes the usual cold or flu, but also things like fungal growths, throat infections, nasal infections, cuts and bruises, and occasional seizures. The cuts and bruises were not a result of drunken stumbling, but instead a result of his decreasing ability to walk unassisted.
>There was also the effect of long-term alcoholism on his muscles, something called alcoholic neuropathy, in which the nerves are actually poisoned by the alcohol. Gradually his muscles lost their ability to work properly, and this showed up in his walking, and as incontinence.
>Toward the end, in the last year, I remember him standing in the kitchen one afternoon in his bathrobe, and he suddenly cursed and grabbed the bottom of his robe and pulled it up between his legs like a diaper. He didn’t say what had happened, and I pretended I hadn’t seen it and left the room so he could deal with it privately.
>>
>>7626056
Nah, he's a threat to China's territorial integrity and probably just wants his serfs back.
>>
I don't think he was all that talented, and certainly he wasn't original. The whole notion of gonzo journalism had been done decades earlier by William Seabrook. He was an unabased self-centered adshole and did a lot of drugs so naturally America loved him
>>
>>7627079
lmao
>>
>>7626758
>>7626749
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laamYjSwcHI

Watch this, it's real sad. His persona gets in the way between him and his interviewers and they never notice. In one part he rather desperately tries to make them see that the "real Hunter S Thompson" they're looking for is a figment of their imagination.
>>
>>7627200
Yeah I've seen that before. If I recall correctly, at one point he berates the BBC 'foreigners' for being so stupid to expect him being the Raoul Duke charicature and not a (relatively) normal person.
>>
>>7627240
Found it, from 41 minutes in. He's pretty pissed off.
>>
How is he an edgelord? Thought he was a filthy libcuck.

If he's against women, non-whites, and modern day degeneracy, then please recommend me some stuff.
>>
>>7627267
>Thought he was a filthy libcuck.
Hmm. He beat up a fag at least once and reportedly beat his wife. He also, again, reportedly, refused to visit his gay brother when he was dying of aids. Don't really know about his politics though.
>>
>>7626056
Fear and Loathing is a good book. Idk about his other work. It captured fairly well the bullshit "American Dream" while also giving a fair share of criticism to the 60s counterculture movement.

But yeah, he's pretty edgy.
>>
>>7627345
>He beat up a fag at least once and reportedly beat his wife. He also, again, reportedly, refused to visit his gay brother when he was dying of aids.

FUCKING BASED
>>
>>7627267
>being THIS edgy.

Go get book recommendations from /pol/ they'll be better suited to you
>>
>>7627391
>>>/tumblr/

This place is for REAL men, sweetheart
>>
>>7626749

You should read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 and Hell's Angels.

Then you should work on not being opinionated on matters where you are ill-informed.
>>
>>7627054
Alcoholic neuropathy victims often kill themselves, apparently, not only you lose control of your muscles, it also hurts a lot.

That being said, I love his writing, he's hyperbolic in a good way.
>>
>>7627054
rare to see a memoir with such a good title
>>
File: hunter thompson.jpg (21 KB, 300x392) Image search: [Google]
hunter thompson.jpg
21 KB, 300x392
seemed like a pretty cool dude
>>
>>7626991
"hurr durr he was a edgelord"

"explain how he was an edgelord."

"hurrr durrrrrrrr edgelord lol"

... game, set and match, i guess, fucktard.
>>
File: killerchick.jpg (22 KB, 227x204) Image search: [Google]
killerchick.jpg
22 KB, 227x204
>>7627104
not original?

who were his antecedents, then? name them.
>>
>>7629764
>he didn't read the whole post before replying
>>
File: gonzo.jpg (38 KB, 320x376) Image search: [Google]
gonzo.jpg
38 KB, 320x376
>>7629762
>>
>>7626056

Is that the Dalai Lama
>>
File: serveimage.png (16 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
16 KB, 768x768
>>7629842
no its the pope
>>
>>7627426
*socially retarded man-children who get their concept of masculinity from sociopaths and future convicts
Fixed.
>>
I've read somewhere that a lot of his writing isn't particularly relatable or enjoyable for non-Americans.

How true is this?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.