[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greatest literary quotes of all time.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: md.jpg (40 KB, 233x351) Image search: [Google]
md.jpg
40 KB, 233x351
>"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli."
>Moby Dick
>>
>>7625904
Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.
>>
>>7625904
>EASY big fella!

fucking hack.
>>
'He found a line and pulled on it, fighting toward the hatch to get himself below out of the storm, but a gust of wind knocked his feet from under him and a second slammed him into the rail and there he clung. Rain lashed at his face, blinding him. His mouth was full of blood again. The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit'
-Moby Dick.
>>
>>7625936
Just absolutely beautiful, filled me with so many feels
>>
"tane orb grean bean" - David Forester Wallace, Infinite Jest
>>
>"..I was terrified but I pressed on and as I made my way past the breakers a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things but I tell you at that moment—I was a marine biologist."
>>
>>7625904
>implying
>>
One wonders if War and Peace would have been as highly acclaimed had it been published under it's original title War, What Is It Good For.
>>
>>7626138
This is obviously not true.
>>
>>7626142
No, it's true. It was his mistress who insisted he call it War and Peace.
>>
>>7626150
How wrong can you be?
>>
>>7626150
>>7626142
It is true

It was subtitled (Abosolutely Nothing)

I'd have loved to read that version
>>
>>7626156
You guys have either really shitty bait, or are genuinely fucking retarded.

The novel was originally published under the title '1805', but was the completed novel title was 'War and Peace'.
>>
If you read Moby Dick a second time Ahab and the whale become good friends.
>>
>>7626160
plz dont post here if you have absolutely no clue about what youre talking about
>>
>>7626284
Alright then, faggot. Give me some proof that Tolstoy was going to name it "War, What Is It Good For" before his mistress insisted he call it War and Peace.

Go on, I fucking dare you.
>>
>>7626285
He's quoting a Seinfeld episode, senpai. Look it up. Stop getting so mad.
>>
>>7626305
Seinfeld is for fucking faggots and Jews.
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 811x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 811x680
>>7626311
>>
File: ratata.jpg (244 KB, 1280x950) Image search: [Google]
ratata.jpg
244 KB, 1280x950
>>7626285
>>
>>7626285

I am laffin
>>
>"Shipmates, have ye shipped in that ship?"
>Moby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman Lelville
>>
>>7626285
u r retarded m8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqS1Ty79mOE
>>
>>7625904

'I transcend morality to such an extent that the common folk--to whom alone the mundane laws of good and evil apply--fly at me in a frenzy, ignorant, doe-eyed, with slackened jaw, breathing by open mouth like common beasts, as they smash their heads into the butt end of my hatchet.' -- Raskolnikov, in Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishmen (tr. Garnett)
>>
>>7625904
How brave are you?
Just medium.
What's the bravest thing you did?
he spat into the road a bloody phlegm. Getting up this morning.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.