[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>audiobooks are just as good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: 1448040556763.gif (388 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
1448040556763.gif
388 KB, 500x382
>audiobooks are just as good
>>
I will say that audio recordings of the author reading their own work are nice for entertainment, especially if it's a favorite work.

Still wouldn't substitute it for first time experience with the text tho
>>
>>7624429
Can you provide an example?
>>
I like to listen to nonfiction audiobooks while driving
>>
>>7624433
mein kampf
>>
>>7624433
I mean he's pleb tier around here, but Neil Gaiman does his own recordings. I find his voice soothing, so sometimes I'll pop one of those on and let it drone in the background.
>>
>>7624445
more like neil gayman

>>7624444
quads
>>
>>7624449
Speaking of gayman, young Brando really gets me going. Ty OP
>>
>>7624433

DFW reading "Brief Interviews".
>>
I listen Cormac McCarthy on audiobook so I actually know who's talking because they guy does voices.
>>
>>7624417
For purely aesthetic prosaic appreciation, I would venture that audiobooks are equal if not superior (at least, with a competent narrator) to just the written word. Immersion can even benefit with a particularly well-done recording.

That said...much is lost, formatting first and foremost. Intricacies like Melville's miniaturized stage-scenes become awkward at best. Thematic structures become more obscure, repeated literary devices (each denoting a continued point of the author's) harder to latch onto.

It's a question of priorities.
>>
>>7624417
is that james franco?
>>
>>7624433
>never listened to DFW's reading of Brief Interviews

bwahaha stay pleb ya fuckin faggot
>>
>>7624522
Pls be b8
>>7624484
Sounds interesting
>>
audiobooks for children's books are great, they're usually written to be read aloud as well
>>
>listening to an audiobook of Homer

well I shiggy, if you don't read Homer you lose all of the intricacies the auhtor intended!
>>
>>7624511
>Thematic structures become more obscure, repeated literary devices (each denoting a continued point of the author's) harder to latch onto.

maybe for plebs like you, but don't fall to the "i'm a dumbass so everyone else experience life through the same lense of retardation!" fallacy
>>
>>7624434
Like what?
>>
OK for genre fiction. Embarrassing for literature.
>>
the only thing more pleb than listening to audiobooks is watching plays and movies, i hate fags who go see some gay ass "play" of Shakespeare and then go around acting like they read the shit!
>>
>>7624559
why?
>>
God, this board is so terrible
>>
>>7624562
Congratulations on making the same joke as 3 other anons itt, you man of infinite jest
>>
>>7624433
Going to a reading of Dickens in the 19th century.

Also, I would listen to this fellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ
>>
>>7624576
i'm serious bro anyone who reads an audiobook is a fuckin fag
>>
>>7624566

Literature should be read at your pace, not the pace of the narrator. You should take longer to read some parts, or reread some parts. I'm not going to break concentration to rewind the same paragraph five times.

For genre fiction the prose doesn't even really matter.
>>
>>7624589
what the fuck kind of shit are you listening to that it takes you five tries to understand a paragraph? the only shit i can think of is the finnegans wake audiobook, but in someways that is a better way to experience the text, since it's not really meant to be read as a traditional text but "experienced" like a prose poem, so who knows maybe it was better....speaking of joyce, what if you read a book written by an author with a different accent that you? can you truly be said to have experienced it properly? if you read ulysses with an american accent have you truly experienced ulysses?
>>
>>7624550
Shots fired fukking #rekt
>>
>>7624589
>Literature should be read at your pace, not the pace of the narrator.

retards could claim the same thing about college lectures...when you watch one of those Open Yale classes, do you read the transcript instead of watching the lecture? In that case you would be confessing that you are slower than a Yale student, and as a basement dwelling neetlord i'm sure you consider yourself quite special
>>
>>7624417
Blind people can't read.
>>
>>7624632
They can inside their heads. They can even construct sentences.
>>
>>7624550
a well played rebuttal to a poorly framed argument, one that frankly is made to much on /lit/ these days: ie that the complexity of something makes it more valuable or interesting.

That said, audiobooks are not and will never be "reading"
>>
>>7624622

I did specify that it was solely for literature. A university lecture does not fall into this category. I would have no problem saying I am slower than a Yale student, I did attend a state university.
>>
>>7624655
>That said, audiobooks are not and will never be "reading"

who cares about "reading"? reading for "reading" is even lower than reading for prose or plot. you sir are the ultimate pleb.
>>
>>7624700
>says the pleb defending audiobooks as literature
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JylxvHvdtA

Greatest audio recording coming through, make way.
>>
>>7624433
T.S. Eliot reading The Waste Land. It's awesome.
>>
>>7624491
how are they?
>>
File: Muh Newist List.png (138 KB, 1624x698) Image search: [Google]
Muh Newist List.png
138 KB, 1624x698
All of these are audiobooks, and I enjoyed every moment of it.
>>
>>7625510
where do you download them from?
>>
File: image.png (201 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.png
201 KB, 480x360
>>7624575
It's become r/lit/
>>
>>7625538
Used to use Demonoid b4 fbi took it down, then got on a private tracker with my demonoid share ratio, still using the private tracker.
>>
File: 1396642888119.jpg (124 KB, 600x490) Image search: [Google]
1396642888119.jpg
124 KB, 600x490
>>7625510
Lolita read by Jeremy Irons
>>
>>7625510
Anything non-pleb on there? Can't seem to find.
>>
>>7625510
Afrikaans?
>fok
>>
>>7625582
Didn't feel like having go the fuck to sleep listed in my "bookshelf".

It was read by Samuel L Jackson, you should give it a go.
>>
I enjoy listening to them on a car drive that takes more than an hour.

I wouldn't listen to something I wanted to analyze more closely, but for entertaining literature it's very nice and makes the time go by more than just music.

They saved me on my 3 day road trip when I moved clear across the USA. 10 hours of driving a day with nothing but your music playlist can get old.

Anyone here listen to audio plays [thinking of things like Big Finish]? Those also help with long journeys.
>>
>>7624661
Ever hear of grade inflation? Half the Ivy League institutions in this country now throw out A's like they're throwing moonpies at Mardi Gras.
>>
>>7625538
audiobookbay[dot]cc

No joke, better than any sources. People are more likely to seed obscure things, rather than be a general media seeder.
>>
>>7625689
>Ever hear of grade inflation? Half the Ivy League institutions in this country now throw out A's like they're throwing moonpies at Mardi Gras.

If they don't some Chinese oligarch or Israeli mogul will threaten to sue them or take back their gift of an extra building or whatever.
>>
>>7625374
everything is a text, nerd, don't u derrida? stay plen shitlord
>>
i'm listening to LOTR now, and enjoying it greatly. i look forward to the hour or two i get to spend lying in bed listening to it. the trilogy is 50 hours and i've listened to 12 so far.
>>
Should /lit organize an Audiobook sharing thread? Only with quality orators.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.