[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone read Omon Ra by Pelvin. I have just finished it and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: Omon_ra_bookcover.jpg (11 KB, 220x343) Image search: [Google]
Omon_ra_bookcover.jpg
11 KB, 220x343
Has anyone read Omon Ra by Pelvin.

I have just finished it and am having a bit of trouble understanding.

The person that gave it to me wanted me to see how fucked up USSR was but I think she is missing the point.

Am I right or just overthinking it?
>>
So far it seems like it's just a satire of the USSR pretty much, most of the humour is derived from very Russian specific nuances which if you don't have you miss out on, which is the main point of the novel, to male you laugh.
Though you're not missing on much, the same old stick; USSR was badly governed, highly inefficient and induces apathy. It's always hyperbolized.
He doesn't have much to say really. Try another author OP, at least you tried reading something other than a classic, but alas you just picked a bad one.
You really have to extremely careful when trying out contemporary authors, so many of them so highly acclaimed and so highly shit at the same time.
>>
File: decline-of-europe-genia-chef.jpg (107 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
decline-of-europe-genia-chef.jpg
107 KB, 640x426
>>7624280
I think Omon Ra is Pelevin's weakest book.

Try Buddha's Little Finger, and if you feel like it's not for you, you should just drop Pelevin.
>>
>>7624584
I think you might be right. Maybe I am trying to see what is not there. I just thought that Mitioks interrogation would have some higher meaning in connection to the speech on the red square. Also the last part with the twist made no sense really. I guess that after Tolstoy, Dosto and Chekov I was expecting all Russian books to follow suit.

>>7625860
I might, but I just went out and spent like 100 pounds on books so it will have to wait a little bit
>>
I read this book a few years ago but I really liked it. I thought it was interesting, seeing how a little boy's dreams are taken advantage of.
>>7627501
>the last part with the twist made no sense really
The point was that the Soviet higher-ups thought that if one citizen died with the sincere belief that the USSR made it to the moon, it was a real accomplishment. Omon was meant to be that sacrifice. In resisting his role, he rose above the Soviet society and became his own man.
>>
>>7624280
>USSR
>Didn't read Gulag Archipelago
>>
>>7628069
What does that have to do with anything?
I didnt choose this book because it bashes USSR but because I thought it was more philosophical.
GA is on my reading list anyway.

>>7627847
I see your point. I guess I just need to take it for what it is. Still dont understand the Mitiok Part...
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.