[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about 110 pages into pic related, and I can't fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: recognitions.jpg (11 KB, 180x279) Image search: [Google]
recognitions.jpg
11 KB, 180x279
I'm about 110 pages into pic related, and I can't fucking stand Esther and I hope she's killed off soon. Was it Gaddis's intention to have her disliked?
>>
File: bloom_reading_infinite_jest.jpg (57 KB, 576x436) Image search: [Google]
bloom_reading_infinite_jest.jpg
57 KB, 576x436
>killed off
>author's intentions
>>
>>7624256
you're not reading genre fiction and you're going to dislike most of the characters in this novel it's intentional
>>
>I dislike a certain character!
>I hope she's killed like this is some kind of soap
>what are the A U T H O R ' S I N T E N T I O N S ?
jesus fucking christ are you addicted to drugstore paperbacks?
>>
>>7624719
u r sun of bitch i fuk ur mom
>>
don't worry anon, she dies in the first battle scene with the swamp people on 135
>>
god life sucks
>>
>>7624256
>I don't like this character so it should be killed off.
The Recognitions isn't for you.
>>
>>7624256
>i didn't like the book because i didn't like one of the characters
>>
I'm at 100 and I like Esther a lot. She's right. She only wants the best for Wyatt, who is holding himself back.

Although I can imagine that if you identify strongly with Wyatt, you would dislike Esther.
>>
>>7625087
>i didn't like OP because i didn't like that he didn't like one of the characters
>>
>>7625148
She isn't right, though. Wyatt is obviously going through something, and it's selfish of Esther to be nagging and picking at him because he isn't drooling over her 24/7. Like a stupid dog with no depth, she goes and talks to strangers about Wyatt, without even knowing if her observations are accurate. She doesn't attempt to directly ask him until after Wyatt is pissed, before she was more upset that he didn't care for her stupid cunty book. Look the dude alone.

Besides, it was her fucking idea to get married before they got to know each other. It literally says that on the first page of the chapter.
>>
>>7625164
>going through something
That dude has been going through something since he was a little boy struck down with fever. He definitely needs help and she's trying. Granted, there is definitely strong coatings of narcissism and self-serving intentions behind her helping, as is noted on the first few pages of the chapter and as you noted (her savior complex or what have you), but just simply letting him be won't do any good. He needs someone to help him.
>>
Eshter is an adulterous wife, why? Why? Is Wyatt being cucked? Agagahaga
>>
>>7625087
He never said he didn't like the book you fucking cunt.
>>
why? Why? Eshter is an adulterous wife, Is Wyatt being cucked? Agagahag
>>
>>7625178
this is what you don't understand- he doesn't want the help. you can't fuck someone's shit because you think YOU SHOULD
>>
>>7625238
don't make me put down this book to go grab another book to cite pages of him being underwhelmed by her writing
>>
>>7625313
Partial to the weird autistic agsggafggggggg
>>
>>7625415
Ahshahahag
>>
>>7625415
not autistic- atavistic
>>
Esther's awful, but not irredeemable.
Nothing comes close to Otto's levels of horribleness.

Also >>7625082
>>
File: DSC_0188.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0188.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7625426
>>
>>7625440
Is otto bigger than wyatt's or what?

Afahsgakahshshshsg
>>
>>7625440
>disliking a character in a novel is an indicator that the book is "...not for you"

JUST
U
S
T
>>
>>7625449
Read the book. The post is pointing out that every single character in the book is unbearable. Each person in The Recognitions is the most wretched portrait of their respective character type.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-26-08-39-24.png (99 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-26-08-39-24.png
99 KB, 720x1280
>>7625449
>>
I haven't read the book, but based on the discussion here, Wyatt sounds like a good dude, and Esther sounds like a bitch in heat.
>>
>>7625035
top kek
>>
have you considered you might be a misogynist?
>>
>>7625959
oy vey

here we go
>>
>>7624256
Esther's so fucking chavenet. Anselm best boy.
>>
Jump!
>>
>>7625449
As >>7625456 said, practically every character is annoying and morally reprehensible in every way--an exaggeration of the more unpleasant traits to have, so trying to get through it if all you care about is the characters is a bad idea.
>>
>>7626026
stop trying to make chavenet happen it's not going to happen
>>
Hump!!
>>
Plump
>>
Lump
>>
Trump.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.