[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always found "Lovecraftian" things pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
I've always found "Lovecraftian" things pretty interesting so I finally decided to try out the source. I ended up reading Pickman's model, The color out of space and The music of Eric Zann.
Did I pick really badly or is his style not even meant to be scary? More about trying to blow your mind than crawl under your skin or jump at you?
I'm pretty confident when it comes to terror. I'd be running out of the room screaming if it was remotely spooky.
>>
I've never found him scary but I think At the Mountains of madness is a very enjoyable novella. It gives you a strange feeling that's hard to describe but very interesting to dwell on.
>>
Lovecraft's game is "fear of the unknown" so if that's not how you get your rocks off, he's probably not for you.

Which is fine. I personally got a lot more enjoyment out of Clive Barker than Lovecraft.
>>
Mein gott fuck off
Jk Just read one word per day?
>>
>>7623954
Lovecraft is all about the "big spooky reveal" at the end, and Pickman's Model is a prime example of that. The Picture in the House is a good exception.
>>
>>7623954
You picked some of the the least scary Lovecraft, OP.

"The Horror at Red Hook" may be the scariest, though it doesn't necessarily fit with his overall mythos. Certain parts of "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" are intensely horrifying, though it does drag on at times.
>>
>>7625229
I just finished The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath for the first time a few days ago and the end was beautiful. Much more of a fantasy story than horror but still solid.

>>7623954
Lovecraft is all about letting your imagination do the work. He's really good at not showing you the monster and building it up. And like >>7624900 said, the 'big spooky reveal'. Try Under the Pyramids, The Dunwich Horror, The Whisper in Darkness, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Lurking Fear, Rats in the Walls. And of course the Call of Cthulhu.
>>
>>7625600
>>7623954
also In The Vault, Shadow Over Insmouth and The Thing On The Doorstep
>>
>>7623954
I dont think I can appreciate Lovecraft anymore after reading Labyrinths and The Aleph :(
>>
File: In8s6.jpg (159 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
In8s6.jpg
159 KB, 1200x800
whats the deal with autistic retards and lovecraft
>>
>>7625625
I have found that the escapism lovecraft and howard stories offer roughly equals a 5 man dungeon in WoW
>>
Has anyone read any of Clark Ashton Smith's work? Him and Lovecraft seemed to be really great friends, and Smith's "Weird Tales" stories are some of the best I've read. His poetry is great as well.
>>
>>7626204
Smith's stuff is pretty good. He feels like a more versatile writer. The collection of Hyperborea tales is a fun read. I like the stories set in medieval France. Avignohn, or something like that.
>>
>>7625625
What's the deal with autistic retards and posting on 4chan am I right people
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.