[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think for Tao Lin?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
What does /lit/ think for Tao Lin?
>>
>>7622929
Tao Lin pls go
>>
Greatest human bean to be alive. So proud to know him personally.
>>
>>7622951
see >>7622948
Those hamsters sure are sad.
>>
>>7622929
He's a meme. If you were here for longer than a day you'd know as much
>>
>>7622929
I think he should stop self-promoting his shitty books here
>>
>>7622929
TA O LI N I L O V E Y O UIUUUUUUUUUUU=
>>
The Vaporwave of literature
>>
>>7623114
I've been thinking the same thing!
>>
He is not relate to /lit/ for me at all, apart from the fact that he at least once visited.
He was known and sort of internet famous before this board was made... if you cared about literature back then, that is...
>>
Fantastic writer. Look forward to all his books that are gonna come out. Love it. Love that shit.
>>
>>7622996
What the fuck do you even think you're talking about when you call an author a "meme," that they're not actually good, but that people just talk about the author because other people did? Are you saying that the author is a joke? That they are not actually worth reading? That the idea of trolling people with the author is pervasive?

Fuck off with calling shit memes.
>>
>>7622929
I post this in pretty much every Tao Lin thread, I should just make pasta:

He is very insightful, especially in his literary criticism. His essay on Almost Transparent Blue (Ryu Murakami's best work by far) is very good. (http://thoughtcatalog.com/tao-lin/2011/02/almost-transparent-blue-ryu-murakami/)

His work is generally less so. I would say all of his books other than Taipei are varying levels of bad. Taipei is okay. If you visit his website you can find various articles he's written for various sites and many of those are okay too.

I think that he is improving and has the most potential of any American author under 35. The thing is that, he's still developing his style, and that people have a lot of negativity geared toward him because unlike a lot of "great" authors, he didn't start off with a huge success. Instead, he published his crap right off the bat (and his crap was still better than almost anything any motherfucker on /lit/ can put out), and has continued to just publish whatever he wants as he creates it. Any why shouldn't he have? Anyway, I'm not saying anything he's written (other than the ATB essay if you've actually read ATB) is necessary reading, but it's interesting to see an author with a voice that I find familiar.

A lot of people, and on /lit/ especially, remind me of an observation from Bernhard's The Woodcutters. How people who think highly of themselves, like they have good taste, often have a bunch of antique furniture and old books and old this and that. But it's easy to have good taste, when all of that old stuff has already been vetted by generations of people who came before. Who looked it over and decided that it was good enough to be passed on. The antique furniture is what survived, so it must be good, and it represents nothing special to declare that you have good taste when you're really just depending on the taste of others in the past. It's much more difficult to look at the present and discern what will survive.

I guess that’s a relatively cynical view – that people generally either like or dislike works not on the merits of the work, but to aggrandize their own ego.
>>
>>7623477
wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions
>>
>>7623489
cool thanks
>>
>>7623489
kill yourself lad
>>
he's the kafka of the angry birds generation 2bh
>>
>>7623442
That's pretty much what he was saying, anon. Have you actually READ any Tao Lin?
>>
File: Memed.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Memed.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>
go to bed tao
>>
>>7624281
I don't understand what you are replying to in my post or what you are trying to say. Are you saying that Tao Lin is saying the same thing as Bernhard?
>>
>>7622929
I dig his stuff.
If he can make it any of us can
>>
>>7624259
>the angry birds generation

damn man. not okay.
>>
I think he's the John von Dorf of 2012
>>
>>7622929
My opinion of him won't be confirmed until the release of his next book.
>>
Kafkaesque.
>>
Quietly thought 'meme' after not thinking anything for a long-seeming amount of time moving through rooms slowly & looking at 4chan alone
>>
>>7624281
He is Tao Lin. Tao is a notorious shit.
>>
>he actually writes a passage where he comes to 4chan to see these threads people make about him on /lit/
>>
>>7625973
wouldn't you
>>
So no discussion on the topic of Tao Lin or Taipei?
>>
>>7627044
go to bed tao
>>
He's a total spacko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2BJSV8Q1Yw

As for his books, eh, I dunno, I've only read Taipei, it was okay I guess.
>>
>>7622929
the last gasp of a society in decay
>>
http://theamericanreader.com/review-on-tao-lins-taipei/
https://nplusonemag.com/issue-20/reviews/nobodys-protest-novel/

recommended reading
>>
>>7627074
this is a little painful to watch
is she also autist or just him?
>>
>>7627197
the second article is great
>>
File: 1445267015290s.jpg (3 KB, 114x124) Image search: [Google]
1445267015290s.jpg
3 KB, 114x124
>>7627197
good god, did he actually have relations with a 16yo at that age?
>>
>>7627665
>he lives in a state where the age of consent isn't 16
S M H
>>
>>7627204
She is, but he more so.
They used to be on the outs with one another, after he pulled some unnecessary publicity stunts. I believe she works for Gawker and he threw up a bunch of Brittney Spears promo stickers on their office doors.
>>
>>7627197
>>7627248

that second article really is very good.
>>
He's no David Fishkind
>>
>>7629451
Thanks for the info Tao.
>>
>>7623442
Tao Lin has stated in interviews he doesn't think he's a meme. He also uses the word meme frequently, in the sense as described by Terence McKenna: "the smallest unit of an idea that still has coherency."

>>7623477
You use the phrases "bad" and "okay," but you don't back them up with anything. I know this is /lit/, but what specifically about Tao Lin's early books can be considered objectively "bad?" Could it be that you just don't like, in terms of personal preference, the way his books are written?

All authors are always developing their style. The thing that I find so interesting about Tao Lin is that his style between works changes completely and utterly. It almost sometimes feels like I'm reading a different author when I compare, say, his short story collection "Bed" to "Eeee Eee Eeee."

He's said himself that he's always amused to look back at his poetry collections, because they're in a style he no longer really writes in.

I highly recommend you read "Bed." You categorize his early stuff as "crap," but I think you'd change your opinion after "Bed."
>>
>>7630539
I love David F. Wish he had more stuff out I could buy. Hard to believe he's such a great writer operating at such obscure levels.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.