[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When can one be considered an intellectual?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: dfw.jpg (18 KB, 571x226) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
18 KB, 571x226
When can one be considered an intellectual?
>>
After reading DFW.
>>
>>7622585
after you've made a minimum 1,000 posts on /lit/
>>
>>7622598
What differentiates a real intellectual from a pseudointellectual?
>>
>>7622605
audience pussy
>>
>>7622585
Whenever you have the nerve to label yourself that in the public eye / to strangers
>>
You have to be known and write something to challenge assumptions to the point of public dialogue
>>
>>7622641
what if those assumptions are good. then youre just being an argumentative butthole
>>
>>7622646
not good enough for the dialogue

a public dialogue is given by demand so that it already pass the rigor of "peer review" the argumentative spirit is already snuffed out, now he has to talk about why
>>
>>7622653
come again?
>>
By
1) being smart
or
2) killing yourself
>>
>>7622676
the public opinion makes the intellectual
>>
>>7622680
So there are no real intellectuals?
>>
>>7622680
is english your first language? sorry, im not understanding that last lost
>>7622653
>>
>>7622687
last post*
>>
>>7622687
why is it my fault you can't understand

it is the public that wants them to speak, the opinion is that their opinion are worthy of being publicly known

just because they are public doesn't mean they are right, your opinion does not change their state of being an intellectual
>>
>>7622696
whoah there, i wasnt saying it was your fault i was asking whether it was your fault or not. still not seeing what you are getting at, so i guess its me.
>>
Sorry

M-maybe I am making it too confusing.

Lets say there is a person X. He is known in his circle, say he wrote on stuff Y.
X writes an opinion piece on Y(Z) subject. This is his attack on assumption.
His immediate audience from from Y believes this Z subject material is worthy of public talk, inviting members from other related subjects to talk about or to X on the Y Z and other related subjects.
Thus propelling this opinion on Z sub-subject to the "public" because the people invited to the talks make their own opinion on X available for more people to make opinion on.
Then the circle continues.

It has very little with his substance or his rightness.
>>
>>7622720
little to do with*
>>
>>7622720
lmao that is really narrow and specific definition of intellectual. i think you could extend it to a lot more instances. but i understand you. i guess i understood you from the beginning really.
>>
>>7622592
ebin
>>
>>7622728
nah, this is applicable to almost all discipline

believe it or not dfw is an intellectual for this reason as well
>>
>>7622585
You're called intellectual, you dont earn it. It was originally an insult
>>
Isn't an intellectual someone who works by thinking rather than using physical force or doing tasks that need little to no use of the mind? (Like most office jobs)
>>
An intellectual is a member of the intelligentsia.

>>7622605
There isn't any.
>>
probably when you start to argue to gain knowledge rather than argue for arguments sake
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.