[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good books about WWII? I'm interested in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: hauntedmarineaftereniwetok.jpg (28 KB, 379x445) Image search: [Google]
hauntedmarineaftereniwetok.jpg
28 KB, 379x445
What are some good books about WWII? I'm interested in the subject. Stuff about the Axis powers is particularly interesting.
>>
>>7622138
Evans Third Reich Trilogy for Nonfiction
The Black March
Panzer Leader, Guderians biography
>>
>>7622138
this is a good question, all i can think of that i've read that was remotely relevant to ww2 was catch-22, but i doubt that's what you want. i wouldnt mind reading literature about ww2, but you know, thinking about it, that was a period in which literature lost a lot of meaning, not much after the 1950s is worth reading. that's just my opinion, but it's hard not to notice the significant dip in skill after that war. it was as if the innocence of art was no more and humanity suddenly became adult, sarcastic, cynical, and crude.
>>
File: ww2.jpg (52 KB, 333x550) Image search: [Google]
ww2.jpg
52 KB, 333x550
Currently reading, pic related.

I also enjoyed "Enemy at the Gates". It is mostly about 6th armies struggle against the ruskies.

>be german, laying in a bunker with two bullets in leg
>surrounded by dead and dying germans left for the russians.
>feel something wet on shoulder
>look up to see a small hole above, with fuel being poured inside
>hear ivan asking for a lite
>collapse to the ground and crawl to the exit
>fireball behind you explodes, comrades burned alive
>make it out
>Feel iron barrel on the back of the head
>realize its a soviet soldier, with a pistol to your scalp
>hear another russian ask your would-be-killer
"what would comrade stalin do?"
>ruskie clicks pistol's safety back, leaving you alone on the street
>go on to survive a few years in a gulag and make it back to germany.
>>
my dad keeps telling me to read naked and the dead, but idk if u wanna trust my dad. his tastes are of varying quality.

don't make me say it

fine. my dad is a pleb. but i think that book is supposed to be good though.
>>
>>7622197
goddamn anon, have some respect for your old man. he raised your ass, didn't he? a lot of people got it worse. js.
>>
>>7622197
>tfw my dad used to leave me sports illustrated articles because he knew I liked to read
>tfw he told all his coworkers that just doesn't understand me
>>
>>7622205

im just foolin my dad gave me arthur c clarke books as a kid, those thing were v formative for me. also william gibson+pdk
>>
literally everything by Robert Lecke
>>
>>7622219
>tfw i didnt have a dad
>>
>>7622138
Whats the difference between prose and poetry or prose and essays? Prose...contains the word Rose....sounds pretty poetic.
>>
With the Old Breed.

An honesty and gritty autobiography written by an upper-middle class Southern Marine Mortarman
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.