[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else takes the radical philosophical view that literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Dickens_Gurney_head.jpg (160 KB, 814x1190) Image search: [Google]
Dickens_Gurney_head.jpg
160 KB, 814x1190
Who else takes the radical philosophical view that literature is an arm of the entertainment industry? And that the writer has a responsibility to give me FUN?

I've read too much self indulgent shit. No more lads. No more. And no, this doesn't mean reading sci fi or fantasy shit. I am entertained by a lot of respected books.

Picrelated isn't that entertaining but is passable.
>>
>>7621791
Today anyone anytime can write something. Being an author, a writer, never been so easy like today, so it is more than common to be in contact with a lot of contemporary trash.
>>
DUDE JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF LMAO
>>
it's not a very deep philosophical view you have there, delillo
>>
nabokov's aesthetics

also kill yourslef
>>
>>7621791
what do you consider self indulgent writing to be?
>>
All books are mental masturbation, including non-fiction.

What it comes down to is can you consider mental challenges "fun"
>>
>>7622251
Is masturbation fun?
>>
>>7621791

The novel has never been anything other than a specific entertainment. Opinions to the contrary may flail, to the effect that "a novel has been historically important", without realizing the reasons why.

-this quality and correct Aphorism brought to you by: -Anon
>>
>>7621791
you didnt think Dickens was entertaining? huh.
>>
>>7622251
life is mental masturbation you fucking turd

be more reductionist please
>>
do i need to state the obvious cliche that fun isn't the same for everyone? there is a hierarchy of pleasures from the most refined and inacessible down to the most vulgar and common.
>>
a writer's responsibility lies with the writer's intention

fun as tool or fun as an end
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.