[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is with black people and heavy-handed race metaphors?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
What the fuck is with black people and heavy-handed race metaphors? Between this nigger and Toni Morrison, everything is so blatantly muh slavery and muh oppression.

Seriously, he has a white character disguise himself in black face to try and mind control the black population into destroying their magical cultural energy.

Are black authors a meme?
>>
Steinbeck and Huxley were heavy handed as fuck but you don't see me saying that about all white writers.

It's not aimed at you. If you don't recognise the power in the writing, consider the idea that you went into it unconsciously expecting not to like it.

I could rattle off black writers who run rings around you, but what's the point.
>>
>>7621526
dont like steinbeck

dont like huxley

black writers are shit

go back to tumblr
>>
>>7621526
you should rattle them off
the point is you're not only talking to one idiot

the problem seems to be that heavyhanded black writers are disproportionately pushed into the curriculum because they're to enter the thick skulls of freshmen, not be a show of art

this is not a black problem, but a white people being pussies problem
>>
>>7621531

wow this is my point. "don't like steinbeck, don't like huxley" doesn't mean "dont like white writers". Yet, a few black writers you don't like means that "black writers are shit".

For someone in /lit/ your lack of self-awareness is fucking astounding.
>>
>>7621582

go back to stormfront bub
>>
>>7621509
that's why i don't read black authors even though i am black.
>>
>>7621582

"they making me read black people in school... i should really shoot this place up"

>white people
>>
>>7621591
whoa
what
is this false flag or are you actually retarded?
i'm pointing out that it makes sense for mediocre black writers to enter the curriculum like huxley (what is freedom?) and steinbeck ("poor people"), that is, for purposes other than their greatness - as a tool to spark discussion
i had a prof who used tuesdays with morrie for this - she agreed that the book was shit but the point was to talk about how people think about dying, and at that it succeeded
so please let us know some black writers that are not like this - many of us will have never been exposed to them. i liked things fall apart, and that's basically all i know
>>
>>7621612
go back to /pol/ you racist maggot
>>
>>7621582
> a show of art
what is art
>>
>>7621612

That's not what you were saying before. You were saying

>this is not a black problem, but a white people being pussies problem

which is pretty much straight outta the stormfront dogwhistle textbook.

Plenty of white writers were shit writers (lookin' at you, Hegel), but their work prompted discussion and they are still seen as great.

Read White Teeth. I'm guessing you're looking for black writers who aren't writing about their oppression, which I understand, it probably doesn't offer much to you.
>>
>>7621585
ive read every single supposedly good black writer and they're all shit
>>
>>7621744

Why do you suppose that might be?
>>
>>7621509
I think the biggest problem is that black people are so caught up on being black. They write about "the black experience" every fucking time.

White people very rarely try to capture anything like "the white experience," they just sort of assess their feelings and articulate them.
>>
>>7621953

Why do you suppose that might be?
>>
Pynchon loved Ishmael Reed and even referenced him in Gravity's Rainbow lol work on your meme game
>>
>>7621960
Pynchon is a hack
>>
>>7621953

Maybe black people write about black issues for the same reason that women write about women's issues, and the depressed write about depression, and war vets wrote about their experience of war. The paranoid write about paranoia.

The source of people's suffering is usually what drives artists to create art, and that art is usually strongly linked to that suffering.

Further reading: all art.
>>
File: blonic.jpg (20 KB, 351x257) Image search: [Google]
blonic.jpg
20 KB, 351x257
>>7621982
But black people and women can't create art
>>
The Three Musketeers was written by a half-black guy, and it's fucking great. Or is he not nigger enough for you?
>>
>>7621987
>Only the white man can create art
>I happen to be a white man
>This is a total coincidence
>>
>>7621744
>ive read every single supposedly good black writer and they're all shit

jesus /lit/
>>
>>7621509
Maybe it's because retards like you still use the word nigger.
>>
>it's a /pol/ invades /lit/ and pretends they read thread
they'll get bored eventually right?
>>
>>7621963
You're a fucking hack. Spread your boipussy wider so your incredibly dull mind can maybe assfuck you in to some kind of taste.
Or read Pynchon and stop rusing everyone.
>>
>>7621744
>this is what people on /lit/ actually believe
>>
>>7622048
>he likes black authors
Pfhahahahhahaha
>>
>>7621953
>White people very rarely
really? every american book is trying to be the "great american novel" which is basically the white experience writ shit. i think you're colorblind.
>>
People like to write about what makes them an outsider to the society they live in.
For black people it's the color of their skin.
For women it's their gender.
For straight white men it's a number of things. Alcoholism, gambling, etc. Really depends on the person.
Once black people break down these racial boundaries I guarantee you they will be writing about the same shit white men are writing about.
>>
>>7622072
stop making good posts when we're shitposting you fag
>>
The black authors I've read are actually quite good.
I loved Invisible Man, some of its metaphors for race are great, others not but the book has significant literary merit.
>>
>>7622079
Race metaphors are inherently pleb tier.
>>
File: 1418924317354.jpg (47 KB, 369x368) Image search: [Google]
1418924317354.jpg
47 KB, 369x368
>>7622078
>>
Reminder that brief history of seven killings was best of 2015
>>
>>7621509
because it makes money to talk about oppression and slavery. go and look at africa and tell me where the literary culture is. the truth of the matter is, that by refusing to assimilate into white cultures, they block themselves from entering the golden ages of philosophy and art. when my black friends shun white writers because they're white, they don't get to stand on the shoulders of giants when they go to write their own work. they piddle around in their own cultures, and never see the forest from the trees.
>>
>>7622179
>when my black friends
hahahahaha you clearly don't have black friends buddy.
>>
>>7622015
>connotes that pynchon is an example of good taste.

pleb
>>
File: wdds.jpg (13 KB, 278x200) Image search: [Google]
wdds.jpg
13 KB, 278x200
>>7622149
Because its a very good book. Whats your point?
>>
>>7621685
i was saying that white people, in order to seem "non-racist" will go out of their way to promote mediocre, but "teaching moment" black authors
do we need teaching moments? i don't know, but this perceived need lends itself to a general view of black authors as obsessed with being didactic
>>
>>7622183
actually, i am half black, and have many black friends, a significant portion of whom shun any type of literature, and even more so white written literature, thinking of it as a waste of time, and as something that "white people do"
>>
>>7622183
>hahahaha i think i know everything because i have no perspective
>>
>>7622198
Black authors are not a meme and I doubt op has read many outside the two he just named. T'hiungo and Obioma Are great too
>>
>>7621993
I'm not white
>>
>>7622071
Well American novels are also shit so no argument from me here
>>
>>7622644
eh, The Recognitions was most certainly not shit.
>>
>>7622210
African and Caribbean authors seem significantly more interesting than black authors who grew up in white countries.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.