[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best English translation of the Qur'an?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: the koran.jpg (28 KB, 320x471) Image search: [Google]
the koran.jpg
28 KB, 320x471
What's the best English translation of the Qur'an? What are some of the most common mistakes in English translations?
>>
>The Alcoran
>The the Koran
>>
Why spend money on the ramblings of a violent, mentally ill pedophile when /r9k/ is right around the bend
>>
>>7621462
it has a lot to do with history and being informed on topics of real importance in todays society but you dont know about that because youre a fucking retard high school kid whos probably got snot running down his sleeves
>>
>>7621474
t. Mohammed Mohammed
>>
Durka jihad
>>
>>7621478
i bet you know a lot about the new and old testament but nothing about the quran

do you realize the irony of your reply

like you are claiming im a muslim because i think that the quran is an important book, which is what it is since it's the holy text of a major world religion that influences the actions of numerous people, many who are interested in seeing my country and probably yours falling into ruin but you dont want to read it or learn about it becasue why? because you think ignoring it is easier? because you are a little bitch
>>
>>7621492
Everything I needed to know about Islam was learned on 9/11

Dumb sand book about a horny pedophile warlord
>>
>>7621443
my first was thomas cleary and i still like it, but it's very literal & w/out notes so it won't be much of a cultural help—metaphors go unexplained, you lose the message of some stories.

I think Yusef Ali is pretty established as the standard of the english-speaking muslim community.
>>
I was just about to start the same thread I'm curious as well. Preferably an electronic version.
>>
>>7621500

Everything I need to know about books I learned from Harry Potter

Dumb woman book about a nerdy teenage wizard
>>
File: images (1).jpg (4 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
4 KB, 128x128
>>7621500
Everything in the Middle East is Islam.

Palestine/Israel? Call of Duty? Death Valley? Las Vegas?
>>
Holy fuck can we get any actual recommendations? Has anyone here even read the Qu'ran?
>>
The penguin edition is the only one I've read, but it was pretty well done.
Christ is the one true way to salvation by the way.
>>
>>7621443
>nulla falsa doctrina est, quae non aliquid veri permisceat

LOL
>>
>>7621794
I tried to read the Quran but I'm an Islamic woman and was stoned to death for being literate
>>
>>7621794
I have yet to read the Qu'uran in its original Arabic. Whilst reading some sections in English for a course I came across the enticing Surah entitled The Star. It reminds me of Judas's apocryphal gravy, or the canonical Leviathan.

It figures largely in The Satanic Verses. Check that one out and google different translations. There are plenty of resources out there by which one may enter the conversation.
>>
File: burn quran.jpg (19 KB, 374x332) Image search: [Google]
burn quran.jpg
19 KB, 374x332
>>7621443
only good quran is a burning quran. Ban the Quran!
>>
>>7623568
How barbaric
>>
File: koran.gif (7 KB, 199x171) Image search: [Google]
koran.gif
7 KB, 199x171
I Piss on Quran. Deus Vult!
>>
>>7623577
the quran is barbaric, actually. if it had been written by a white man, it would been branded as hate speech and made illegal years ago.
>>
>>7623578
>>7623568
I'd call you a tasteless idiot but I wouldn't want to trample on your free speech
>>
>>7623582
Depends on which version you read
There's a whitewashed version that secular Muslims use in the west afaik
http://www.studyquran.org/resources/Quran_Reformist_Translation.pdf
Also hate speech is bs and we all know it
>>
>>7621443
don't forget to wash your hands after reading it
>>
>>7623582
leave /lit/
>>
>>7623586
>There's a whitewashed version that secular Muslims use in the west afaik
you know what's a taqqiyya? cause their pulling a huge one on you. The concept of the caliphate, beheadings, killing infidels is all on the quran.
>>7623588
its true tho
>>
>>7623586
>The Reformist Translation of the Quran offers a non-sexist understanding of the divine text; it is the result of collaboration between three translators, two men and a woman.

> It explicitly rejects the right of the clergy to determine the likely meaning of disputed passages.

>It uses logic and the language of the Quran itself as the ultimate authority in determining likely meanings, rather than ancient scholarly interpretations rooted in patriarchal hierarchies.

>It offers extensive cross-referencing to the Bible and provides arguments onnumerous philosophical and scientific issues.

>It is God's message for those who prefer reason over blind faith, for those who seekpeace and ultimate freedom by submitting themselves to the Truth alone.

fucken sjws are cucking islam too
>>
>>7623582
Mohammed was a white man though. All the descriptions of him from his followers describe him as having white skin and in one hadith someone asks for Mohammed and a follower points to him and says "He's that white man over there."
>>
>>7623609
true, he was actually a catholic agent
>>
>>7623593
>Taqiyya is an extra-canonical concept that exists only in Shi'a hadith and not the Koran itself
>The caliphate is a concept that only developed after Muhammad's death and is nowhere in the Koran itself (hence why it's a disputed concept among different sects and the Shi'ites don't even believe in the legitimacy of the concept and have an alternate theory of authority called imamat).

The Reformist Qur'an is shit though. Go with Arberry or Asad.
>>
File: 0zboi9E_0.jpg (53 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
0zboi9E_0.jpg
53 KB, 800x800
>>7623586
>tfw Americans call Islam barbaric, but also insult attempt to make it less so
Nice
>>
>>7621500
>on /lit/
>refuses to read books
>>
>>7623620
nice taqqiya you got there, ahmed, too bad I won't fall for it...
>>
The only viable option is the Study Quran. Doesn't matter if you read Arabic or not, you're going to be retarded just like everyone else and interpret shit your own stupid way.

Get the Study Quran that was recently published, it's got the English translation, and very, very extensive notes that breaks down each passage line by line and explains it in detail.
>>
>>7623629
Nice Kol Nidre you got there, Saul...

JIDF shill detected.
>>
How can interpretations be such polar opposites.
>>
>>7623637
The SQ is pretty based.

Anything with Seyyed Hossein Nasr's name on it is good.
>>
>>7623639
Nice mentalis restrictio there, Giuseppe.

Jesuit shill detected.
>>
>>7623629
Taqiyya developed as a doctrine among the Shi'a out of necessity because the theology of Shi'ism was inherently seditious, as it denied the legitimacy of any ruler apart from the ma'sum imam of the age.

In order for Shi'a to live peacefully in Sunni-ruled areas, they had to develop a doctrine of dissimulation to protect themselves from state persecution. As a result, dissimulation became a major issue in Shi'a jurisprudence and theology.

Sunnis, as the majority of Muslims, almost always had the upper-hand politically (with certain exceptions like the Fatimid Empire and the Safavid Empire), therefore they never felt the need to hide their beliefs or develop any doctrine of dissimulation as the Shi'a had. The only concessions made in Sunni legal texts for dissimulation involve direct physical threat or coercion, along with an obligation to immediately leave any area where it is not possible to openly practice Islam and settle in a Muslim-ruled land instead ("make hijrah").
>>
>>7621835
i hear the penguin edition was toned down a lot. Most people want the best literal translation
>>
>>7621443
Arberry, Hammad and Asad.
>>
>>7621474
>being informed on topics of real importance in todays society
could you explain why terrorism has forced you to read the qu'ran? are you getting ready for the caliphate?
>>
The Study Quran.

No toning down or censoring, godlike notes, go go go.
>>
>>7621443
I read Haleem, seems pretty decent, though he's quite apologetic. Definitely an erudite scholar, though. Hafiz as well, from a very young age. He's also wrote a book called ''Understanding the Qur'an'', which was incredibly apologetic and ''Islam fits everything anyone can ever conceive'', but he does treat some translation delicacies and presents the Qur'an as many Muslims will probably view it, as the ultimate answer to everything anyone can ever conceive (and rightfully so if they acknowledge it as the literal word of God).

It's nice to just listen to it and read the youtube translations as well, though.

Al-Fatihah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwtpNgFw5g
Ar-Rahman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WvHMNuhH3Y
>>
>>7621443

I just started reading the Qu'ran and there are a lot of free versions on Amazon. The best is the one currently endorsed and distributed by the Saudi government by Dr. Muhammad Kahn.

It's a more literal translation, but it keeps original arabic terms like Jihad and Djinn, and also has explanatory notes.

I find the more easy-to-read English versions to be smoother but politically correct and generously translated. Get the Saudi endorsed one. If for no other reason, it's the translation that most conservative Muslims actually agree with, for better or worse.
>>
>>7626665
Oh yeah it is also a Sunni translation. Shia have their own they prefer.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.