[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you study the science of pataphysics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 517693.jpg (18 KB, 298x400) Image search: [Google]
517693.jpg
18 KB, 298x400
Why don't you study the science of pataphysics?
>>
>>7621122
Because I am not a pretentious hipster that thinks they are superior to others for discovering pataphysics and the oulipo when, in fact, that shit is passe and dull
>>
>French philosophy
>>
because I don't know french.
>>
>>7621122
because OuLiPo did it before

also Ubu Roi is shit. And it was shit at time, just to shock people by saying merdre (how do you translate it in french? fruck?)
>>
'pataphysics is the science, numbnuts. pataphysics is neat tho
>>
>>7622781
pataphysics is just organized and institutionalized dadaism
>>
>>7622782
>Ubu roi after Ubu Imperator
>Dada and surrealism never met the communist class against class level of institutionalization so much so the communists started hating them
>pataphysics
wat
>>
>>7621122

> Notable members have included Noël Arnaud, Luc Étienne, Latis, François Le Lionnais, Jean Lescure, Raymond Queneau, Boris Vian, Eugène Ionesco, Jacques Carelman, Joan Miró, Man Ray, Max Ernst, Julien Torma, Roger Shattuck, Groucho, Chico and Harpo Marx, Baron Jean Mollet, Philippe de Chérisey, Irénée Louis Sandomir, Opach and Marcel Duchamp.[24]

Also, Baurdrillard was considered a pataphysician and Umberto Eco, as far as I know, still is a member. Deleuze considered Jarry to be Heidegger's precursor and experts often compare Jarry's pataphysics to Nietzsche's critique of metaphysics which is how I actually sort of began to understand it. I must admit that before I had heard said explanation, I thought pataphysics is just some random nonsense with an obtuse definition made by a french artist to show how pathetic philosophy is. It still feels a bit like that, but at least I'll allow the possibility that it's actually something serious.
>>
>>7621122
>study pataphysics
Why?
I already know how to bullshit, anon
>>
File: Jarry-Surmale.png (26 KB, 320x717) Image search: [Google]
Jarry-Surmale.png
26 KB, 320x717
>>7621164
But both 'pataphysics and the oulipo remain fun, and some books they produced are masterpieces.

>>7622776
The Oulipo was only founded in 1960. Jarry died in 1907.
"Merdre" is "merdre" in french. And I don't think that Ubu Roi is shit, it's a nice caricature of human idiocy, moreover it's cleverly written ("hocher la poire", the Macbeth references, the andouille as both phallic and faecal symbol, etc.)...
That being said Ubu Roi is far from being Jarry's best book, Faustrol, which also deals with 'pataphysics, is a lot more poetical. The Surmale is also very funny and more fin de siecle (see The Future Eve for further reading). So far my favorite ones are probably L'Amour en visite et Les Jours et les nuits.
He has also written poetry which is quite good.

>>7624142
Maybe. But have you proven that God is the point tangent to zero and infinity? Have you ever sailer in a sieve?
>>
>>7624036
What Deleuze said is that pataphysics opened the way to phenomenology. It is serious, just not to the degree of >>7624142
>>
>>7624036
>>7624323
Does someone have a link to Deleuze's article?
>>
>pataphysics
>no one mentions Boris Vian
>>
>>7622776
Bill Griffiths translates it as "Shitr".
>>
>>7624797
You can find it in "Desert Islands and Other Texts" and, I believe, also in "Essays: Critical and Clinical". I'm not sure if you can find the whole thing directly posted online, but it's definitely there in the first book I mentioned and Google Books shows it to be present in the second one as well. Both books can be found online.
>>
>>7626704
Thanks. Do you, by any chance, know more good essays about Jarry?
>>
>>7627848
I'm not all that familiar with Jarry yet. The only things that come to mind are a presentation about Jarry and Deleuze which explains Jarry compared to Nietzsche and that funny anecdote about Jarry's female neighbour. I'll post both below.

Presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVOR8AJc6No

Anecdote:
> Jarry moved into a flat which the landlord had created through the unusual expedient of subdividing a larger flat by means of a horizontal rather than a vertical partition. The diminutive Jarry could just manage to stand up in the place, but guests had to bend or crouch. Jarry also took to carrying a loaded revolver. In response to a neighbor's complaint that his target shooting endangered her children, he replied, "If that should ever happen, ma-da-me, we should ourselves be happy to get new ones with you".
>>
>>7625237
Red Grass masterpiece
absolute masterpiece
>>
>>7627848
Noël Arnaud wrote a lot about Jarry and is very reputable, a real scholar.
>>
File: ikra_00.jpg (68 KB, 600x658) Image search: [Google]
ikra_00.jpg
68 KB, 600x658
>>7621122
because i'm from poland and i find this book offending
>>
>>7624302
anon, you're so fucking tryhard franchouillard it hurts
>>
>>7629722
Don't be mad anon, Ubu Roi was written by a group of kids to make fun of their professor.
>>
>>7625433
What does that mean exactly? Shitter, shittier, shitty?
>>
I don't know much about pataphysics, but I do like to shit the floor in friends' bathrooms while screaming 'fuck the hole'.
>>
>>7630231
Ha ha
>>
>>7630231
What?
>>
>>7629726
What do you mean?

>>7628503
>>7626704
He destroyed the staircase in his house. When friends came to visit him, he would throw a ladder by the window.
According to Apollinaire, he mostly ate lamb chops and pickles with a sauce made of vinegar, absinthe and a drop of ink.
>>
>>7631174
kek, that's pretty awesome. Now I'm tempted to try mixing absinthe with my food. The ink doesn't sound like such a good idea though.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.