[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Favourite verses from holy documents (Bible, Quran, Torah
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: 600px-JCS_mp40_b_cropped.jpg (52 KB, 600x253) Image search: [Google]
600px-JCS_mp40_b_cropped.jpg
52 KB, 600x253
>Favourite verses from holy documents (Bible, Quran, Torah etc...)
>Your interpretation
>>
>Pointless! Pointless! says Kohelet
>Utterly meaningless! Nothing matters!...
>What has been is what will be,
>what has been done is what will be done,
>and there is nothing new
>under the sun.

pretty self-explanatory.
>>
>Hear, you who have ears to hear, what the Spirit says to the Churches! To him who is victorious I will Give the right to eat from the tree of life that stands in the Garden of God
>>
>From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

The Lord is just!
>>
>>7620320
Kyrie eleison
>>
>>7620230
>What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
>But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!

Luther BTFO
>>
>>7620230
>Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
>>
>>7620334
>>7620320
Kill yourselves
>>
"Now, there are many millions who in their sects and churches who feel the order, 'Do thou,' and throw their weight into obedience. And there are millions more who feel predestination in 'Thou shalt.' Nothing they may do can interfere with what will be. But 'Thou mayest'! Why, that makes a man great, that gives him stature with the gods, for in his weakness and his filth and his murder of his brother he has still the great choice. He can choose his course and fight it through and win... And I feel I am a man. And I feel that a man is a very important thing - maybe more important than a star. This is not theology. I have no bent towards the gods. But I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed - because 'Thou mayest.'"
>>
File: brendan.jpg (695 KB, 1423x1999) Image search: [Google]
brendan.jpg
695 KB, 1423x1999
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
>>
>>7620663

The single most quoted out of context passage of the Bible ever. As a non-Christian, the people who think this part of the Gospels proves anything negative about Jesus embarrasses me to the core.
>>
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

- kek
>>
>>7620331
TRIGGER WARNING
>>
>>7620331
Assuming Luther wasn't stupid, how he argued against that?
>>
>>7620262
there is a season. Turn! Turn! Turn!
>>
>Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Or

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
>>
>>7620230
Become unaffected;
Cherish sincerity;
Belittle the personal;
Reduce desires.

-Lao Tzu, not te ching but some poem

If I was of poor character and had no self-distance I'd get these words tattoed. Of course they're only 8 words and mean squat to someone who has no conception of taoism.
>>
>>7620331
>>7620974
Jesus Christ can you idiotic christposters fuck off outta this board already.
Reading this gave me cancer.
And you revel in this???? Whahhaaahahaha.
>>
>>7620994
>Reduce desires.
You know Nietzsche blew this stupid societal pressure the fuck out right?
>>
>>7621012
If you think that the only reason to reduce desire is to conform to some kind of social pressure, I really feel bad for you.
>>
Matthew 6:25-34 - Mostly self-explanatory.

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O men of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek all these things; and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well."

"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day’s own trouble be sufficient for the day."
>>
>>7621029
In most cases it is nothing more. It can be else but not the reason it is restrained, especially publically.
>>
>>7621035
This passage is a centerpiece of q theory as an almost certain direct quote of Jesus. Don't ask me why, it's in Macks book on Q
>>
>>7621042
I take it you are not familiar with Epicureanism.
>>
>>7620974
In the first place it is flatly against St. Paul and all the rest of Scripture in ascribing justification to works. It says that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered his son Isaac; though in Romans 4 St. Paul teaches to the contrary that Abraham was justified apart from works, by his faith alone, before he had offered his son, and proves it by Moses in Genesis 15. Now although this epistle might be helped and an interpretation devised for this justification by works, it cannot be defended in its application to works of Moses’ statement in Genesis 15. For Moses is speaking here only of Abraham’s faith, and not of his works, as St. Paul demonstrates in Romans 4. This fault, therefore, proves that this epistle is not the work of any apostle.
In other words, Luther taught that the Book of James contradicted the doctrine of sola fide, or justification by faith alone. If he’s right about this, then either the Bible is wrong, or Protestants are wrong.

Of course nowadays there are lots of scholars that are starting to think the letter of James may be contemporary with Paul, albeit out of Jerusalem and not syria
>>
>>7621012
>Angsty /lit/ represents

Where did he write about it, might have to ''''dig out the old Nietzche'''' and go exploring. Tbh he's a total autist most of the time but he's a nice read atleast.

Personally I think you've got it backwards. You don't need an excuse to reduce desires, such as societal pressure. Rather you need an extraordinary excuse to preserve them once faced with the reality of how they emerge.
>>
>>7621065
First part is a quote of Luther btw.
>>
>>7621043
Neat
>>
Judges 19-20

5 But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.

26 Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light.

27 And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down at the door of the house, and her hands were upon the threshold.

28 And he said unto her, Up, and let us be going. But none answered. Then the man took her up upon an ass, and the man rose up, and gat him unto his place.

29 And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.
>>
>>7621035
Woah, what did they translate to 'anxious' in this passage? What is this, new international?
>>
>>7620262
this

>>7620976
>there's a time for everything
and it's still all meaningless
>>
>Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Here a man that preaches peace and nonviolent response to violence, predicts what a thing he started will do to the world thousand years after his death.

He knows what he preaches, he knows that he is starting a new religion, he knows what it will be done in his name. Omnipotence revealed in one simple sentence.
>>
Figured biblecucks might know this. Is a woman without ovaries still a Eunuch? Is there a female equivalent word?
>>
>>7621095
To be fair predicting violence out of humans isn't a big leap
>>
File: 1383324798949.gif (941 KB, 330x220) Image search: [Google]
1383324798949.gif
941 KB, 330x220
>For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive

Adam - the man; Christ, the Overman.

>Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power

Christians should promote anarchy.

>For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death

Kill those who oppose apotheosis.

>But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?”

I wrote an essay about this;

>http://freetexthost.com/yub6deoafi
>Alchemical Diamond bodies

>So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body

Supporting verse for the above interpretation.

>So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”[f]; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. 46 The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the dust of the earth; the second man is of heaven. 48 As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the heavenly man, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we[g] bear the image of the heavenly man

Another supporting verse.

>I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable

Yet another supporting verse.

>Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

Again, a supporting verse.
>>
>>7620715
I'm way back in the OT. Finished Job up Friday afternoon. Can I hear your take on "The single most quoted out of context passage of the Bible ever" ?
I'd like to hear whatever insight you can share.
>>
>>7621078
RSVCE, though a lot of translations use "anxious"
>>
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
>>
I thought this one was very beutiful, when Saul leads a mob law agains Stephen:

>Acts 7:60, And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.
>>
> X do stuff
> Y says that thing that X did was immoral and should never be practiced again , if so X would burn in hell

every religion ever
>>
IGNORE ME I KNOW YOU WILL.

All that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you. Leviticus 9:10

Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. Leviticus 19:19

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads. Leviticus 19:27

You will be pledged to be married to a woman, but another will take her and rape her. You will build a house, but you will not live in it. You will plant a vineyard, but you will not even begin to enjoy its fruit. Your ox will be slaughtered before your eyes, but you will eat none of it. Your donkey will be forcibly taken from you and will not be returned. Your sheep will be given to your enemies, and no one will rescue them. . . . The Lord will afflict your knees and legs with painful boils that cannot be cured, spreading from the soles of your feet to the top of your head. Deuteronomy 28:30-31,35

She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20 NIV

Thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother’s milk. Exodus 23:19

When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

I LOVE THIS ONE:
When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. Everything also on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean, and everything on which she sits shall be unclean. Leviticus 15: 19-20

Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered. Matthew 21:18-22 NIV

THIS ONE PROVES SURPRISINGLY PROGRESSIVE:
Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18

AND HERE IS THE MERCY OF THY FORGIVING AND JUST LORD:
Whosoever … hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookback, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken … He shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries. Leviticus 21:17-23 KJV

WHAT SAY YOU NOW ??
>>
>>7623038
Oh, you.
>>
>>7621067
I don't know what he's talking about as regards societal pressures, but the world itself is not a fabrication. It didn't emerge as a product of overthinking, and yet desire is part of it, and there really is nothing objective about the way we organise our moralities, so to withdraw oneself from desire, from the world of men, the game of life, etc., is certainly the least natural of possible actions. Unless you believe we should therefore conclude it derives from science or real, ontological knowledge, then that's good reason to call it societal.

Oh, no, desires are arbitrary? You might not be aware, but a lot of people get this; the majority decide to keep playing regardless, with an 'extraordinary excuse' being absolutely unnecessary. You likely believe that you know something known to just a small number, because you're refusing to see how someone could know the thing and yet live differently than yourself. You might dig out the old Nietzsche; this is all covered in his trash about the Last Men. But as for me, I'd recommend you look into a bit of accelerationism, particularly some Jean-François Lyotard from the 70's: Libidinal Economy. It might teach you about the sorts of excuses available to you.
>>
>>7623096
>Jean-François Lyotard from the 70's: Libidinal Economy.
Diff. anon here. Any thing that is advantageous to read before reading this? Or can I go in cold and not get too lost?
>>
>>7620230
Surah 91
>>
>>7620715
The context is this: some guy is claiming he's the Son of God, his cult is listening to him speak.

Whether he's peaceful or violent is of little worth. Violence can always be justified (think: Muhammad), and peace may indeed be virtuous (as with the Buddha), but if what you say is untrue, it doesn't matter what it is you said or in what context.
>>
>>7623105
Maybe some basics as in some of the commentary on Deleuze and Guattari, or just one or two key extracts from them. You won't need to read A Thousand Plateaus, is what I'm saying; just knowing what A Thousand Plateaus is about will cover it. And if you haven't read much Marx, you'll of course need that. Otherwise, you should be good - yeah, you can pretty much go in cold.
>>
>>7623145
>Whether he's peaceful or violent is of little worth. Violence can always be justified (think: Muhammad), and peace may indeed be virtuous (as with the Buddha), but if what you say is untrue, it doesn't matter what it is you said or in what context.

Not that guy, but I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
>>
>>7623096
Your missing an important distinction between reduce and eliminate. Possibly the greatest difference between Buddhism and Taoism is the rejection of all desire, versus the rejection of a certain category of desire, respectively. If I had quoted buddhist thought we would be in agreement and could chuckle together about 'muh death-cult'.

Taoism on the other hand is affirming totally what it considers 'natural desire'. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar position would be found in your recommendation.
>>
>>7623038
>IGNORE ME I KNOW YOU WILL.
knew it. stay comfortable christfags
>>
>>7623038
The entire gist of Paul's entreaties to the Gentiles was that they didnt have to embrace Jewish law to accept the redeeming power of Christ.

Leviticus is literally irrelevant to any Pauline denomination, and was only tangentially relevant to the Markan community (which was cast out of second temple judaism).
>>
>>7623038
Pretty interesting legislation
>>
>>7623188
Different anon but are you illiterate?
>>
>>7624104
Never mind, I'm retarded. I got caught up on the "If what you say is untrue" line. I thought he was talking about the previous post for some reason.
>>
>>7620230

Book of Job

The Lord Speaks
38 Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm. He said:

2 “Who is this that obscures my plans
with words without knowledge?
3 Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.
4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
6 On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone—
7 while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels[a] shouted for joy?
8 “Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb,
9 when I made the clouds its garment
and wrapped it in thick darkness,
10 when I fixed limits for it
and set its doors and bars in place,
11 when I said, ‘This far you may come and no farther;
here is where your proud waves halt’?
12 “Have you ever given orders to the morning,
or shown the dawn its place,
13 that it might take the earth by the edges
and shake the wicked out of it?
14 The earth takes shape like clay under a seal;
its features stand out like those of a garment.
15 The wicked are denied their light,
and their upraised arm is broken.
16 “Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea
or walked in the recesses of the deep?
17 Have the gates of death been shown to you?
Have you seen the gates of the deepest darkness?
18 Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth?
Tell me, if you know all this.
19 “What is the way to the abode of light?
And where does darkness reside?
20 Can you take them to their places?
Do you know the paths to their dwellings?
21 Surely you know, for you were already born!
You have lived so many years!
22 “Have you entered the storehouses of the snow
or seen the storehouses of the hail,
23 which I reserve for times of trouble,
for days of war and battle?
24 What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed,
or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?
25 Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain,
and a path for the thunderstorm,
26 to water a land where no one lives,
an uninhabited desert,
27 to satisfy a desolate wasteland
and make it sprout with grass?
28 Does the rain have a father?
Who fathers the drops of dew?
29 From whose womb comes the ice?
Who gives birth to the frost from the heavens
30 when the waters become hard as stone,
when the surface of the deep is frozen?
>>
>>7624154

31 “Can you bind the chains[b] of the Pleiades?
Can you loosen Orion’s belt?
32 Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons[c]
or lead out the Bear[d] with its cubs?
33 Do you know the laws of the heavens?
Can you set up God’s[e] dominion over the earth?
34 “Can you raise your voice to the clouds
and cover yourself with a flood of water?
35 Do you send the lightning bolts on their way?
Do they report to you, ‘Here we are’?
36 Who gives the ibis wisdom[f]
or gives the rooster understanding?[g]
37 Who has the wisdom to count the clouds?
Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens
38 when the dust becomes hard
and the clods of earth stick together?
39 “Do you hunt the prey for the lioness
and satisfy the hunger of the lions
40 when they crouch in their dens
or lie in wait in a thicket?
41 Who provides food for the raven
when its young cry out to God
and wander about for lack of food?
39 “Do you know when the mountain goats give birth?
Do you watch when the doe bears her fawn?
2 Do you count the months till they bear?
Do you know the time they give birth?
3 They crouch down and bring forth their young;
their labor pains are ended.
4 Their young thrive and grow strong in the wilds;
they leave and do not return.
5 “Who let the wild donkey go free?
Who untied its ropes?
6 I gave it the wasteland as its home,
the salt flats as its habitat.
7 It laughs at the commotion in the town;
it does not hear a driver’s shout.
8 It ranges the hills for its pasture
and searches for any green thing.
9 “Will the wild ox consent to serve you?
Will it stay by your manger at night?
10 Can you hold it to the furrow with a harness?
Will it till the valleys behind you?
11 Will you rely on it for its great strength?
Will you leave your heavy work to it?
12 Can you trust it to haul in your grain
and bring it to your threshing floor?
13 “The wings of the ostrich flap joyfully,
though they cannot compare
with the wings and feathers of the stork.
14 She lays her eggs on the ground
and lets them warm in the sand,
15 unmindful that a foot may crush them,
that some wild animal may trample them.
16 She treats her young harshly, as if they were not hers;
she cares not that her labor was in vain,
17 for God did not endow her with wisdom
or give her a share of good sense.
18 Yet when she spreads her feathers to run,
she laughs at horse and rider.
19 “Do you give the horse its strength
or clothe its neck with a flowing mane?
20 Do you make it leap like a locust,
striking terror with its proud snorting?
21 It paws fiercely, rejoicing in its strength,
and charges into the fray.
22 It laughs at fear, afraid of nothing;
it does not shy away from the sword.
23 The quiver rattles against its side,
along with the flashing spear and lance.
>>
>>7624156

24 In frenzied excitement it eats up the ground;
it cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds.
25 At the blast of the trumpet it snorts, ‘Aha!’
It catches the scent of battle from afar,
the shout of commanders and the battle cry.
26 “Does the hawk take flight by your wisdom
and spread its wings toward the south?
27 Does the eagle soar at your command
and build its nest on high?
28 It dwells on a cliff and stays there at night;
a rocky crag is its stronghold.
29 From there it looks for food;
its eyes detect it from afar.
30 Its young ones feast on blood,
and where the slain are, there it is.”
>>
>>7624154
lines 4 to about 32 are my favourite lines as well, the book of Job is prolly one of my favourite poetic works
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.