[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, fuck.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: Odyssey Fitzgerald.jpg (40 KB, 330x500) Image search: [Google]
Odyssey Fitzgerald.jpg
40 KB, 330x500
The Fitzgerald translation of the Odyssey is really fucking beautiful /lit/.
To think I'd almost given up because of the Alexander Pope version.
Any other greek stories where certain translations are miles above the rest?
>>
Waterfield is a damn good translator imo. Not Greek, but Mandelbaum's Ovid's Metamorphoses is damn good.
>>
>>7620137
Is that Vintage Publishing? I can't find it on Amazon in my country. What else did you discard?
>>
>>7620137
Pope didn't even write half of his Odyssey. It's shit.

Fitzgerald's Odyssey is a great work of art in English alone. His Aeneid is excellent as well (not so much his Iliad).
>>
File: excerpt.png (80 KB, 823x397) Image search: [Google]
excerpt.png
80 KB, 823x397
>>7620214
http://www.harvard.com/book/the_odyssey_the_fitzgerald_translation/

You can actually find it online for free though, if you don't mind reading off a screen/kindle.
http://swcta.net/moore/files/2014/08/The-Odyssey-Greek-Translation.pdf
>>
there are super-awesome retells of quite a lot of greek mythology by this guy >>7620294

well, to bad he only did this in german but it kinda feels like reading a marvel-film albeit being very close to the source.
>>
>>7620146
Good to know. I haven't read it yet, but I have his translation of Republic.
>>
>>7620229
Which parts didn't he write? I'm halfway through and loving it (more than the Iliad, in fact, although that probably makes me a pleb). But there was a brief bit where the poetry seemed to drop off and get kind of clunky.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.