[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sorry for the shit thread. I'm trying to find a Freudian,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: s-freud[1].jpg (836 KB, 1539x1539) Image search: [Google]
s-freud[1].jpg
836 KB, 1539x1539
Sorry for the shit thread.

I'm trying to find a Freudian, Jungian, or possibly Lacanian term that means the following:

>when you are aware of something's existence and accept it as fact, but have not actually fully realized it as a reality in your mind.

So an example would be us being aware that the NSA collects information on us, but not really altering our behavior in accordance with that knowledge because, while we accept it as a reality, we do not feel tangible effects of it and it is therefore not entirely "real" to us.
>>
what's wrong with "abstract"
>>
cognitive dissonance, but that's not freud or jung's word

metanoia in jung is a similar idea (though james uses the same term, it doesn't have the same meaning)

freud would probably call it denial and classify it by the reaction to the repression (a reaction formation in your example would mean the persons convince themselves to help the NSA collect information more easily to disprove what they acknowledge subconsciously as a threat)
>>
>>7619369
No, it wasn't cognitive dissonance. It's not that the person holds contradictory views, but that they fail to act in accordance with their knowledge because they lack immediate evidence. This lack of evidence means that the information only exists to the individual as superficial knowledge and not a reality in a concrete sense.
>>
>>7619352
Faith
>>
>>7619398
Faith is the absolute opposite.
>>
>>7619387
I think you've misunderstood cognitive dissonance- it's not the ability to hold contradictory views, it's the inability to accept contradictory evidence once a view is established.

you seem to be looking for something closer to this though:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alief_(mental_state)
it's newly coined, was it supposed to be an older term?
>>
it depends if this "not really altering" is a conscious denial or not
>>
File: f.jpg (800 KB, 1440x2243) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
800 KB, 1440x2243
>>7619352
Not completely related but this movie dramatises psychological repression. It's real cool.
>>
>>7619468
basically it is either denialism or doublethink
the dissonance is the discomfort but it doesn't cause the discomfort because it doesn't annoy you to the point of choice so either denial that it isn't happening or it doesn't matter

i am not sure if there is some bridgeable distance for another term
>>
>>7619454
Alief sounds very close to the term I'm thinking of, though it may be something different. 'Dislocation' maybe.

I remember hearing it during the talk "Europe is Kaput". Julian Assange brought up the failure of people to actually grasp that the NSA are spying on us, and Zizek commented that what Assange was describing had a psychoanalytical term, which I've forgotten.

I've trawled through the video of the talk, but found nothing. I think it may have been said during the Q&A which unfortunately wasn't filmed.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.