[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Book of the New Sun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: NewSun.jpg (137 KB, 368x480) Image search: [Google]
NewSun.jpg
137 KB, 368x480
So I've just finished BOTNS, on /lit/'s recommendation. I don't think I have ever had such mixed feelings on a book.

I guess the closest book it reminds me of is Don Quixote, in the sense of a series of weird and wonderfully interesting events keep occuring. I loved specific parts (the chinese whispers version of the tale of theseus really standing out), but towards the end I was really struggling to understand what the hell was going on.

What does the rest of /lit/ think?
>>
>>7619145
Serves you right for not reading the Bible before starting.
>>
The book was an absolute jarbled mess.
>>
>>7619179
It's extremely connected, but needs deduction.
>>7619145
What do you need explained?
>>
>>7619145
OP if you want to read something with a similar feel, but which requires a bit less deductive work or patience, you should try the works of Wolfe's biggest influence, Jorge Borges.
>>
>>7619183
I guess the thing I'm most confused about is the claw, and the conciliator. I got the feeling that the conciliator may have been Severian, either in another life or via travelling time. Hence the circularity of him finding the claw on a bush later in the book. I'd be interested on your thoughts about the above. Also why the claw seemed to be so inconsistent when used.
>>
>>7619188
>I guess the thing I'm most confused about is the claw, and the conciliator.
Severian is the Conciliator and claw is a thorn with his blood after he passed the trial the last Autarch failed. It goes more in detail in Urth.
>I got the feeling that the conciliator may have been Severian, either in another life or via travelling time.
Yes
>Hence the circularity of him finding the claw on a bush later in the book. I'd be interested on your thoughts about the above. Also why the claw seemed to be so inconsistent when used.
On the power of the claw I have no idea how it works in terms of consistency.
>>
>>7619145
Urth of the New Sun was written for you, basically
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.