[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dune
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: mqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 320x180
Guys, what's so great about FH's dune? I finished book 1 (1st act of the first book) and most of the stuff felt seriously forced.
It didn't feel like the characters were doing great things, it felt like they were doing normal things and explaining to the reader how great the they were.
Also kind of a bummer that they resolted to a lot of clichés, like when the harkonnen task some dudes to kill paul and his mom and instead of just doing it they come up with some over the top way that gives our heroes plenty of room to scape
Paul also feels invincible, he can easily solve any problem thrown at him with easy to everyone's awe and i hardly feel like he has gone through any danger, why should I care about the protagonist if he doesn't need any help?what will he learn in his journey if he's already pretty good?
Other then that it had its moments, I liked duke Leto's poison, the dinner, the whole blue on blue eyes idea, the outfits made to not waste water and the whole setting.

Tldr; characters feel op,I have no connection with anyone,feels forced at times and plenty of clichés
So what's so great about it? Does it get better with time?am I missing something?
>>
>what's so great about it?
Who told you it was great? It's relatively good for sci-fi, but that's a bit like being the tallest dwarf in the room. Having said that, the positive features are the setting and the ideas.

>what will he learn in his journey if he's already pretty good?
Sounds like you're reading the book as if it's a vidya game. Paul's story doesn't end by him reaching level 20 and one-shotting a sandworm (although you need to read Dune Messiah to actually see where it goes).
>>
I enjoyed it when I was 14
>>
>>7619076
it's vastly overrated, even if you just look at it in the context of science fiction
>>
>>7619076
>Guys, what's so great about FH's dune?
Some parts here and there are fun. Nothing else, really.
>>
>>7619076
Most people don't (yourslelf most likely included) don't see the philosophical allergorization so it isn't a surprise when they say "wats so good about dune lel P:".
Which is fine I guess. Go read some other things, like Murakami.
>>
>>7619281
>duuude Paul is like, a space Jesus, and, like, there's this ecological message, maaan, so deep
>>
>>7619281
Not OP, but what's it an allegory for? I'm intrigued.
>>
>>7619292
All the books are different in their main themes.
1: An typical philosophical journey through different modes of life, you have all the different houses represent atheism, religion, stoicism (not the classical version), liberalism and so on.
Loved how he came all the way back to the very first one right at the end.
The story of Paul and the story of the Dune populace is also intertwined; both represent the theme from time to time.
2: is about determinism/fate/contingency.

>>7619289
>lel let me take the superficial message is what's taken for the core and post like i understood a simple sci-fi book
>>
>>7619330
>you have all the different houses
Which 'houses'? Do you have examples of who/what represents atheism, stoicism, liberalism etc? And are you suggesting Paul adopts these different beliefs at different points in the book?

>2: is about determinism/fate/contingency
Oh yes, it's clearly a major theme. But how is it an allegory? What for?
>>
Herbert is something akin to Tolkien when it comes to SF, everybody copied him until he became uninteresting to plebs.
>>
Op here
>>7619100
>who told you it was great?
On the back of my book there's a quote from Arthur c Clark saying it's LoTR tier,I took it as a complement
>Paul's story doesn't end by him reaching level 20
Good point I didn't think it would deviate from the formula I'm used to
>>7619281
>>7619289
>>7619330
I got right off the bat the superficial themes of the book and tought that was it, I guess I didn't read enough to realize any other messeges the book tries to convey, thanks for the tip, I'll be paying more attention to them now.

On a side note, how to I pronounce Muad'dib? Muadib? Muad-dib?
That got me wondering
>>
>>7619383
MOO-ah DEEB

Source: the movie.
>>
>>7619255
>it's vastly overrated
agree
>even if you just look at it in the context of science fiction
disagree
>>
>>7619383
Mud-deep. Because he travels in sand.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.