[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 61bahG8xTIL.jpg (65 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
61bahG8xTIL.jpg
65 KB, 333x500
So, to the poeple who have read it/are reading it now, is it a tough read? Because it seems like a very interesting book, but the length of it is putting me off. Also, English is not my first language and, given that 2666 is full of hard language constructions, I may ot be able to grasp the book fully. Is it like Remarque, perhaps?
>>
>>7619071
It's not difficult at all. Part 4 is somewhat repetitive but it's not a tough read by any standard except length.
Go for it, it's great.
>>
>>7619073
thanks for the advice, how long did it take you to get through it?
>>
>>7619071
I read it in an English translation, but it was originally written in Spanish.

I don't remember the language being particularly difficult, but it is a sprawling novel taking place in numerous countries and over several decades. Keeping track of characters who appear, disappear and re-appear can be a challenge.
>>
>>7619078
maybe I ought to make a scheme or a table with all of the characters or isn't that necessary?
>>
>>7619071
>English is not my first language
Then why would you read it in English?
>>
>>7619117
because I suppose that the English translations are more accurate, also I'm not suere if ther'es a Latvian translation of 2666
>>
>>7619125
I see. To me, it still makes more sense to read it In Latvian, since you can fully appreciate the text without struggling. Translations in English are not ecessarily better either. If we were talking about French or Italian, I could see your point, but English shares no roots with Spanish at all.

By the way, have you already read The Savage Detectives? 2666 is quite a dense and visceral novel (still great tho), I wouldn't recommend it as your first Bolaño.
>>
>>7619137
ok, thanks fore the racommendations. I haven't read The Savage Detectives, will look into it before I'll get on with 2666
>>
>>7619203
fuck me *recommendations
>>
>>7619137
There is, i remember seeing some anon with a Latvian translation but saying it was expensive as fuck.
>>
Currently reading it as well (in French).

I'm only 90 pages in and it's good so far, except that not that much has happened yet. But I assume shit will get real at some point.
>>
>>7619209
oh, that's good news, I'll check some libaries, maybe they have the Latvian translation
>>
>>7619210
don't read for plot anon
>>
>>7619389
best advice.
>>
>>7619077
like 4 days
>>
>>7619389
I don't actually read, I just glaze my eyes over words and stop when a sentence sounds interesting.
>>
>>7619071
I have a new copy I bought a few days ago where I live in Mexico of the savage detectives.

It's better to start there.
>>
>>7619125

Kas jauns, fellow homie no Latvijas?

There is latvian translation of this book, in fact it got some award for best translation, it's pretty expensive doe, but i've seen it in couple of libraries.
>>
>>7622831
thanks familia, will chek into centrālbibliotīēka
>>
It seems that I have come to this thread and OPs issue has already been addressed, but I still want everyone here to know that I read and enjoyed this book
>>
i'm reading it now (in english) and it's very enjoyable. i'm about half-way through the part about the crimes and it's nothing like the slog i was led to expect. the way people talk about it i was expecting a nonstop dry recounting of murders and that's it, when in fact it's very enjoyable the way he picks up the strands of the people who get involved and weave them into the narrative
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.