[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What am I reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 155_EmilyDickinsonSmall.jpg (12 KB, 286x289) Image search: [Google]
155_EmilyDickinsonSmall.jpg
12 KB, 286x289
What am I reading?
>>
my reply
>>
Emily Dickinson, please.
What are you doing in a picture? You are dead, RIP, please.
>>
The Brain within its groove
Runs evenly and true
But let a Splinter swerve
'Twere easier for you

To put a Current back
When Floods have slit the hills
And Scooped a Turnpike for Themselves
And Trodden out the Mills

That's the only poem i've got memories, except for the punctuation and capitalisation.
>>
For some reason I find her poetry to be juvenile. It's as if a third grader wrote it. Can't stop imagining Lisa Simpson. A nonentity. Means absolutely nothing to me. Awful.
>>
unpopular opinion time: I like her more than Whitman.
>>
she's such a downer

I think a lot of people who want to read poetry have her kind of poetry in mind
>>
>>7619043
Because I could not stop for Death

Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility –

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring –
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain –
We passed the Setting Sun –

Or rather – He passed us –
The Dews drew quivering and chill –
For only Gossamer, my Gown –
My Tippet – only Tulle –

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground –
The Roof was scarcely visible –
The Cornice – in the Ground –

Since then – ‘tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses’ Heads
Were toward Eternity –

;_;
>>
>>7619200
>juvenile
Just like your thought process?
>>
>>7619200

you don't read much poetry then.

I find that people who read only meme poets (langston hughes, silvia plath, etc.) tend to like her. People who have read some freshman basics (Canto I of Pound, The Wasteland, Ode to a Grecian Urn) act defiant and shit all over her. And then those who have read a lot of poetry respect her whether they like her or not, because she was a startlingly original poet. There's a reason even Harold Bloom puts her in his top lists. I think he ranks her over Hart Crane for originality and we know how much he loves his Crane.
>>
I'm new to poetry and reading her is just brutal sometimes
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.