[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pest Prose Priter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: candidates.jpg (40 KB, 720x180) Image search: [Google]
candidates.jpg
40 KB, 720x180
Which philosopher is best, just from a literary standpoint? "Which philosopher has the most beautiful prose"?
>>
Kierkegaard
>>
File: Essays.jpg (2 MB, 2200x3200) Image search: [Google]
Essays.jpg
2 MB, 2200x3200
>>7618904
He's not on the list, and is a faggot literarian anyways. He is only a philosopher to the extent that any other person on this list is a "philosopher", what a fucking faggot.
>>
>>7618899
Plato
>>
>>7618940
Plato: The most useless of dialectical speculators,a coward before reality. t. Nietzsche, the most unbridled platonist in the history of western philosophy according to Heidegger.
>>
>>7618899

>Pest Prose Priter

fluellen pls go
>>
File: 1453607060256.png (41 KB, 400x336) Image search: [Google]
1453607060256.png
41 KB, 400x336
>>7618995
you're noticed it
>>
Stirner
>>
>>7619107
Stirner is not on the list and is not as good as Nietzsche anyways.
>>
>>7618940
I agree. Though I relate his greatness more to a certain dramatic quality rather than prose.
>>
Nietzsche, Rousseau, Kierkegaard and Schopenhauer have the best prose

Aristotle the worst
>>
marx

not necessarily the prose but from a literary standpoint he's great
>>
>>7619122
>Aristotle the worst
Most of Aristotle's extant writings are transcribed lectures. His earlier writings, his dialogues, have been largely lost to history.
>>
Tao Lin
>>
>>7619131
Aristotle as in what WE can read. We can only read what's left of him. None of his extant writings are good from a literary standpoint. Therefore, Aristotle is bad.
>>
I dunno who has the best but Hegel was a fucking garbage writer
>>
Stirner is the only one I know who' funny and dead serious at once
>>
>>7618899

Nietzsche has no competition in this regard.
>>
Nietzsche followed by Schopenhauer.
>>
>>7619474
Try Cioran m8.
He's like Nietz. V. 2.
>>
>>7619474
Pessoa is the undisputed prose king and he counts as primarily a philosopher in my book, he just catered his "poetry" to it and was a little obscure about it because that's what his philosophy calls for.

>>7618899
But since you fags won't agree 'til someone else famous tells you it's okay, lets just go.

Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Plato, Kierkegaard, Russell.
>>
>>7618904

Yes, Kierkegaard and Nietzsche.

>>7619474

Ever read Kierkegaard?
>>
Y'all niggers know the only answer is Plato? His artistry blows all those other chumps out of the water. He's nigh-Shakespearean when it comes to subtly drawing a character, suggesting without spelling out hidden rhetorical currents eddying beneath the more mundane dialectical to-and-fro on the surface.

You could spend a lifetime reading his dialogues again and again.

Neitzche comes close for his passion and aphorism, but Plato is the better artist.
>>
>>7619528

>Pessoa is the undisputed prose king and he counts as primarily a philosopher in my book,

>I don't want to get out of bed, ever
>I want to sleep forever
>Everything is tedious

Tell me how he's a philosopher.

I adore the Book of Disquiet, but calling it philosophy is quite a stretch.
>>
>>7619547
It's hard to say, we know he read the philosophy canon and offered some unique critique on everyone which you can pick up hints of in Disquiet.

Where he is obviously new and significant in philosophy? I don't know exactly, it may just be is trying for an obscure attempt at psychological warfare but I feel there is more to his work than the obvious nothingness it seems to promote, almost like it's slow and absurd contradiction that has most power over our beliefs so long as it goes undetected.
>>
Wittgenstein imo.
The Dialectic of Enlightenment by Horkheimer and Adorno was really well written too tho.
>>
>>7618899
who are the three between Russell and Foucault?
>>
Russell. Duh.
>>
>>7618899
montaigne...infinitely readable and applicable to daily life.
>>
>>7618911

Off-topic, but related to the picture. Should I start with Michel de Montaigne if I'm going to start reading essays?
>>
>>7620458
You don't need to read everything chronologically.
>>
>>7620458
Yes.
>>
I'd say Schopenhauer. Schopenhauer is eloquent but not to the point of obfuscating his thinking. Borges called his writings, "passionate but lucid", and I think that characterizes him pretty well.
>>
>>7619655
>the philosophy canon
>unique critique
>I don't know exactly
yes
>>
>>7618899
nietzsche
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.