[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best way to read Moby Dick? Recommended editions for people with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: I swear on my tattoo.jpg (93 KB, 642x481) Image search: [Google]
I swear on my tattoo.jpg
93 KB, 642x481
Best way to read Moby Dick? Recommended editions for people with no background knowledge of the time period, or whale anatomy?
>>
>>7618343
Just fucking read it from start to finish
>>
>>7618353
Really? I feel like that's a great way to get lost. You wouldn't get through the first chapter without at least a few annotations.
>>
>>7618431
Either bait or retard
>>
>>7618431
>I feel like that's a great way to get lost.I feel like that's a great way to get lost.

Alright son here's the trick: Page 2 comes after page 1, page 3 comes after page 2, and so on. The order of the pages follows the order of the numbers! They should really put that in the manual at the start of the book.
>>
>>7618343
Melville is unbelievably thorough. You'll learn everything you need to know about sailing, whale anatomy and 19th-century New England in any edition. I'd personally recommend the Penguin edition, Nathaniel Philbrick's introduction and the diagrams/engravings included will give you extra background information.
>>
>>7618343
It's really not that tough of a book. It's dense and may slow you down, but it won't leave you puzzled.

I guarantee you that everyone you've ever heard complaining that "it doesn't make sense" and "there's no plot" and "it was too boring" is a fucking retard; at the very least you're more likely to have an easy time with it based simply on the fact that you're on /lit/ rather than r/books.

With that said, pic related has many annotations, arguably to the point of being excessive. I just read an older penguin edition and it was fine.
>>
>>7618343
You don't need annotations. The standard whatever california edition has illustrations for the technical whaling parts. Find that one
>>
>>7618642
"Arion Press"
>>
>>7618343

just read the fucking book you faggot

>no background knowledge of the time period, or whale anatomy

good thing, cause you'll be learning ALL about whale anatomy
>>
>>7618343
you're going to be a certified fucking expert in 19th century whale anatomy after this
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.