[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any examples of books or stories where the protagonist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Laser Ozzie 1.jpg (87 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Laser Ozzie 1.jpg
87 KB, 960x720
Are there any examples of books or stories where the protagonist is sort of kept in the dark? Like their motivations, their name, they sort of exist as a mystery within the story? I'm writing something where the main character's purpose isn't defined at all and I'd like to know whether I'm breaking a cardinal rule of fiction.

Pic unrelated, but it's my dog
>>
Nice dog (bumping for curiosity).
>>
>>7618305
Book of the New Sun.
>>
Also curious...

Can you tell us anything else about your story, OP, or are you still in early stages?

The Road and another book whose title eludes me didn't give their main characters names, so they are just "man", "son", etc. I enjoyed these aspects because I didn't need their names to become close to them.
I have always thought the concept interesting, and I like that you're going even further.

Is there an all-knowing narrator, or is the MC the narrator? There has to be a word for that, but it doesn't come to me.
>>
>>7618305
I don't know of any examples but I think it would be interesting to read such a book.
>>
I think the author - Archimbold or something - in 2666, but I only read the first chapter of that book, so I do not know how it unfolds.

In Heart of Darkness, Kurtz only appears towards the ending, and during most of the book he exists only as a hovering myth.

In Kafka's two great novels Klamm and the count, in the Castle, and the people responsible for the trial, in The Trial, are also always hidden, although they are not the protagonists.
>>
Not quite what you mean, but I always felt like Winston in 1984 was written in an interesting way. The book is written first person as though Winston wrote it, and yet his actions and speech seems quite different to what he claims. At times it feels like an unreliable narration.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.