[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is his best work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 001-FScottFitzgerald.png (58 KB, 190x315) Image search: [Google]
001-FScottFitzgerald.png
58 KB, 190x315
What is his best work?
>>
>>7618193

I hate his short stories. Great Gatsby is a good if not somewhat simpleminded novel. This Side of Paradise is imo his strongest, you get the breakdown of a Gatsby-type in a much more personal manner (largely autobiographical)
>>
How Petite Was My Manhood? Co-authored by Hemingway
>>
Obviously Gatsby
>>
>>7618196
Nah, Tender is the Night is his best work.
>>
>>7618221

same anon. I'll admit I haven't read TitN. Based on what I think of Fitz is it worth checking out?
>>
>>7618223
It's more like paradise than gatsby
>>
>>7618227

well if that's true, and if it was written later than his first novel (Paradise), then perhaps it fixes what I saw as major problems in Paradise, being that there's so much going on around the narrator and it's like snow, half of it sticks to him and the other half floats right off, unimportant.
>>
>>7618196

same poster as above. I just opened Great Gatsby again after a few years because I haven't read it in a while. Already I'm in shock. It's actually a rather well written book. Nick has a personality almost as fleshed out as Ishmael's in Moby-Dick. Perhaps more fleshed out. You can feel him passing judgement on everything and everyone he sees, and it's all that sort of 20s emersonian jazzy romantic judgement. Which given the opening of the book, is funny because he passes a LOT of shallow judgement.

Guess it's time for me to do a close reread. Good to read a book many many times at many different ages I suppose
>>
>>7618340
rereading is severely undervalued imo
>>
>>7618221
This

That last page is fucking heart-wrenching.
>>
>>7618193
I'm about halfway through Ghe Beautiful and the Damned now and, while its decent, it's not Gatsby. I've always enjoyed his description of settings. NYC seems to have been the place to be in the 20s.
>>
I think Hollywood and the marketplace of art ruined the man's writing. At least Graham Greene had the decency to label his non-literary work 'entertainment'
>>
>>7619166
Non of graham green's work is literary though
>>
>>7618200
underrated post
>>
File: Gvu7Qkr.png (658 KB, 583x584) Image search: [Google]
Gvu7Qkr.png
658 KB, 583x584
>>7619166
>I think Hollywood and the marketplace of art ruined the man's writing.
Been quite a while since I've seen an opinion this pretentious
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.